HELP! - been asked to shoot wedding tomorrow

Associate
Just come into work this morning and the CEO's left me a message to see him. It turns out that his P.A is about to be married tomorrow in a small civil service and he's found out that she doesn't have a photographer to cover it.

I've been asked to take a half day and take shots at the registry office, bride arrival and the happy couple leaving for the reception. Complete shock to me as i usually only do the staff parties and editorial stuff.

Thoughts? can i even do it... how much to charge (they want to pay me). Also i'm about to leave on saturday for 2 weeks in India and won't have creative control on the editing of photos - just have to dump them on the network drive for our creative team to collate and produce a book for her return to work in a weeks time.

Gear wise:
2 x 400D - so noise at high ISO is a concern in the registrar office
24-70mm f/2.8 - main lens
10-22mm wide ange - for the family group shot perhaps
50 f/1.8
430II Speedlight

Need to let them know around lunchtime so opinions welcome

What should I be aware of, can you shoot during the ceremony in a Reg office?

Caporegime
1 - Sounds like its for work and you might not have copyright.
2 - your 24-70 would be great but i have concern on the 400D's ISO...though it should be usable.
3 - ring up the reg office and ask about shooting restrictions, NOW.
4 - Don't take it unless you know you can do it.
5 - Since you are not doing the processing and its only a few hours, plus it is working hours from the office for YOUR boss....i would be incline to charge less than normal.

Associate
OP
1 - Sounds like its for work and you might not have copyright.
2 - your 24-70 would be great but i have concern on the 400D's ISO...though it should be usable.
3 - ring up the reg office and ask about shooting restrictions, NOW.
4 - Don't take it unless you know you can do it.
5 - Since you are not doing the processing and its only a few hours, plus it is working hours from the office for YOUR boss....i would be incline to charge less than normal.

Thanks for the quick reply Raymond

1) I will own the copyright on the photos but it's the editing and PS retouching that are out of my hands and are a concern.
2) that's what I thought, thanks for the confirmation and will see if our studio has noise ninja plugin on PS just in case.
3) Have asked for the details so i can call immediately to confirm. Will also check the web to see if the room is large and well lit or dark and small.
4) I am confident that i can pull it off - just nervous as i've not had any preparation / met the couple / seen the venue to plan shots.
5) Worse, it's not my boss but the CEO of the whole company. It will be 2 hours of work so i'm thinking about £250 for the photos / time.

What am i looking for in terms of classic shots? ... exchange of rings, signing the book, family & guests.
When you are working the room do you have a list of people to tick off? say , brides parents, grooms parents .... things like that?

Outdoor shots? ... i'm going to check the web site and see if the location is suitable and hopefully get there early to scout around a bit

What am i not thinking about and should be ?

Caporegime
What am i looking for in terms of classic shots? ... exchange of rings, signing the book, family & guests.
When you are working the room do you have a list of people to tick off? say , brides parents, grooms parents .... things like that?

Outdoor shots? ... i'm going to check the web site and see if the location is suitable and hopefully get there early to scout around a bit

What am i not thinking about and should be ?

Ask the bride for a list of people she "like" to be photographed, you should state that you will do what you can to get a photograph of them, subject to the venue's restrictions and unforseen events and out of your control (such as people being late).

Ask her for a list of group shots she likes i.e.

Bride & Groom
Bride & Groom with Bride's parents
Bride & Groom & Groom's parents
Bride & Groom + groomsmen
Bride + bridesmaids
etc

That is the main list i would definitely get them all ticked off.

Shoot the little things in the church/reception, mixture of still subjects is nice.

I did a wedding last month (in my site in sig under Ruth and Andrew), you just have to go with the flow, and remember to prepare yourself/kit.

1 - batteries charged
2 - memory cards (all formatted)

Remember to check ISO often, and when you go through a door, check it ! using ISO 1600 outside is not a good idea !!!!

Look where you are going if you are stepping back...i've read stories of photographers falling back into a fountain.

Soldato
Think wedding master raymond summed everything up for you. But from what i've seen of your photography and more notably your sig ;) you're technical ability isn't in doubt but you're a bit out of your comfort zone in terms of photography style.

Obviously Raymonds images are a must to look through but also have a look at scarysquirrel's wedding post http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18051464 along with his advice topic http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18041453 as it appears you have similar equipment to each other. :)

Associate
OP
I agree, thanks for sharing your insights Raymond... much appreciated for the sage words buddy.

You hit the nail on the head Derek with your comment about comfort zones so as a final note in the story, i've been asked to stand down and won't be attending the service. Turns out that the grooms parents had secretly organised a TOG to attend and only revealed the plan/gift last night.

Spoke with the bride this morning and i'm in complete agreement as it's such a small gathering; 10 people in total. In the end she's got a lovely day for the service and is having a small gathering with family and friends on her own terms so i can't help but feel it's the right thing.

On the plus side, I now have time to pack my bags for saturdays flight to India & Bangladesh.
Putting my reportage hat firmly back on for 2 weeks of travel shots in some of the most populated cities in the world :D

Soldato
You hit the nail on the head Derek with your comment about comfort zones so as a final note in the story, i've been asked to stand down and won't be attending the service. Turns out that the grooms parents had secretly organised a TOG to attend and only revealed the plan/gift last night.

Thats a shame, always good to try something new. even if it is a little nerve racking. Maybe next time you'll get the green light, even if its as a back up TOG. Have fun on your trip :)

Back
Top Bottom