Help choosing a car to live in while traveling in Canada

Caporegime
OP

The cheapest cars I tend to find out where ford. Go for the ecoboost engines.

In Canada ecoboost means that you get like a 3.5 litre instead of 7l. We had some massive car that was used in a TV series so it was the platinum model fully loaded the first time it was an 8 seater ford something. Second time we got an escalade and then there was this GMC beast the third time possibly called a yukon.

No, it isn't.

Yes it is.

It used to be roughly half the price.

It's now about 70-80p a litre. Which is cheap.

Obviously depends on exchange rates and price fluctuations.

He's even said himself it's just over a dollar per litre.

You used to get 2 dollars to the pound and over the past 4 years about 1.6 dollars to the pound.

I've been to Canada 4 times over the past 10 years.

I also rented a Porsche in Los Angeles last year and I thought fuel was cheap there too but tbh it's pennies when you are on holiday. The 100 bucks or so in fuel was nothing in comparison to other costs. So fuel costs were hardly a major concern that I documented them or analysed much. They are significantly cheaper though.

Caporegime
Comparatively, yes it is. It is much more expensive than it is just over the border.

Congratulations?

The op is there a year, he isn't on a 2 week holiday.

Okay I'm glad you agree it's cheaper now.

Regardless of how long he is there. It's significantly cheaper than here to the point that size of engine and mpg is less of a concern.

Which is why they drive 7 litre SUVs and pick ups.

So long as he picks a 3-4 litre version it will be the equivalent of driving a 2-3 litre over here.

If he's working over there he's going to be earning money to pay for standard things like fuel. So the fact he's over there for a year or ten doesn't matter.

Man of Honour
Okay I'm glad you agree it's cheaper now.

Regardless of how long he is there. It's significantly cheaper than here to the point that size of engine and mpg is less of a concern.

Comparisons to the UK are irrelevant and at no point did I compare prices there to prices here.

Fuel in Canada is not cheap in the way it's cheap in the markets that most of the larger engined vehicles sell best in.

Associate
OP
Working out at today's rate it's about 70p per litre which you are both right about really. As Fox says compared to the US or even Australia it is expensive. If you compare it to the UK it does sound very cheap. We will be hopefully using the car/van for two years so fuel cost is something we do take into account usually. I did a check from real world people about two vehicles I'm interested in. One is a Pontiac Montana which is a typical soccer moms minivan with a 3.9 litre V6. It will get around 18mpg combined with a load in the back. The other one was a Ford F150 truck with a camper attachment on the bed. Due to the 5.4l engine and the added wind resistance people generally get 8-9mpg. This is half of the Pontiac which is to be expected as one is going to be a much better place to live in. The other issue is that here in British Columbia there is no such thing as an MOT or yearly safety check. It means I am reluctant to spend a lot on a vehicle that may not have been looked after for years.

Caporegime
Working out at today's rate it's about 70p per litre which you are both right about really. As Fox says compared to the US or even Australia it is expensive. If you compare it to the UK it does sound very cheap. We will be hopefully using the car/van for two years so fuel cost is something we do take into account usually. I did a check from real world people about two vehicles I'm interested in. One is a Pontiac Montana which is a typical soccer moms minivan with a 3.9 litre V6. It will get around 18mpg combined with a load in the back. The other one was a Ford F150 truck with a camper attachment on the bed. Due to the 5.4l engine and the added wind resistance people generally get 8-9mpg. This is half of the Pontiac which is to be expected as one is going to be a much better place to live in. The other issue is that here in British Columbia there is no such thing as an MOT or yearly safety check. It means I am reluctant to spend a lot on a vehicle that may not have been looked after for years.

You can get that ford pickup with an ecoboost engine as an option. It's much better for economy.

Associate
OP
You can get that ford pickup with an ecoboost engine as an option. It's much better for economy.

Yes but unfortunately it's way out of our budget. The only vehicle in our budget that may be big enough to sleep in with that engine is a Ford Flex that is based on the F150. Even still that's about $10000

Caporegime
Soldato
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1490818741108822/

We are interested in that one. It's pretty grotty inside and damaged on the panel but we thought we may be able to get it for cheaper due to this. I am wondering what the stickers on the windows are? Think it's been bought from an auction and has issues?

I think you’re placing too much emphasis on economy. Where I live, our fuel prices are similar to yours, and I wouldn’t even consider buying something like that. It’s not exactly a Prius, so you’re still going to spend quite a bit on fuel, and the engine / transmission aren’t going to be as reliable or as cheap to fix as an F150 or similar. You’re far better off getting something with a well known, reliable drivetrain (F150 with the 4.6 or any Chevy truck / van with the 5.3 would be ideal), and pay a little extra on fuel, rather than looking for a minivan like that.

I have a Canadian friend here who was planning something similar to you - he ignored everyone’s advice and bought an early 90s VW camper which has been a nightmare. I went to see a really clean, 1 owner Econoline with him which would have been a much better proposition but he discounted it due to the economy. He wishes he’d gone for that instead now!

Associate
OP
I think you’re placing too much emphasis on economy. Where I live, our fuel prices are similar to yours, and I wouldn’t even consider buying something like that. It’s not exactly a Prius, so you’re still going to spend quite a bit on fuel, and the engine / transmission aren’t going to be as reliable or as cheap to fix as an F150 or similar. You’re far better off getting something with a well known, reliable drivetrain (F150 with the 4.6 or any Chevy truck / van with the 5.3 would be ideal), and pay a little extra on fuel, rather than looking for a minivan like that.

I have a Canadian friend here who was planning something similar to you - he ignored everyone’s advice and bought an early 90s VW camper which has been a nightmare. I went to see a really clean, 1 owner Econoline with him which would have been a much better proposition but he discounted it due to the economy. He wishes he’d gone for that instead now!

Thanks for that. Good to hear other opinions. The minivans I have looked into are the best selling with cheap to repair parts. That VW has the same 4litre engine as the grand caravan and Chrysler town and country as they are all the same car. The other options like Pontiac Montana and Chevrolet uplander are also both the same car. It's not only mpg that's important, we are also thinking of what it will be like to drive in winter. A 2wd f150 is supposed to be terrible in the snow. The 4wd versions are way to expensive for us. We were thinking of buying a work van like the ecoline in summer if the smaller minivan doesn't feel big enough. .

Soldato
Thanks for that. Good to hear other opinions. The minivans I have looked into are the best selling with cheap to repair parts. That VW has the same 4litre engine as the grand caravan and Chrysler town and country as they are all the same car. The other options like Pontiac Montana and Chevrolet uplander are also both the same car. It's not only mpg that's important, we are also thinking of what it will be like to drive in winter. A 2wd f150 is supposed to be terrible in the snow. The 4wd versions are way to expensive for us. We were thinking of buying a work van like the ecoline in summer if the smaller minivan doesn't feel big enough. .

I’m relatively familiar with that platform, having driven about 2000 miles in a town and country. They are indeed common, but in terms of quality and reliability not a patch on a proper van / truck, and a long way off something like a Toyota Sienna as well, hence why they’re a lot cheaper used. The one I drove had less than 100k and the gearbox was already shifting poorly, although the engine felt good, particularly for a van. I only managed the same MPG as I got out of my supercharged Range Rover as well, which I guess isn’t surprising when you think of the weight and power.

In terms of snow performance, I’d have thought that any 2WD vehicle with decent snow tyres should be good enough to get around in unless you plan on driving through very deep snow, in which case a minivan probably isn’t a great choice either.

Man of Honour
It isn't the first time I've heard the 2WD variant of the F150 is terrible in the snow - that supposedly includes on snow tyres. Don't know if it is fact or one of those things that picked up a life of its own via being repeated.

Definitely a 4WD w/ snow tyres will be a significantly more capable platform however.

Even the full size pickups you get in North America though will be a very different proposition for living out compared to a van or large SUV.

Associate
Since you're going to ski places I'm guessing this car will be expected to go up fairly steep hills quite often? In that case don't bother with a 2WD vehicle imo. I took my civic up a steep incline going to a ski slope and although it made it without any effort on my part, all you could smell was burning tyres because it had so much wheelspin. This was with Michelin X Ice North 4 tyres which are among the best of the studded winter tyres. If you were doing this on a regular basis I can't imagine the tyres lasting especially long. I've been a passenger going up the same incline in a 4x4 pickup years ago and in comparison it just flew up the incline with no hint of burning smells.

Soldato
Gmc Savana is 4x4 you could get one fairly cheap, lots of people use them for vanlife. They are smaller than a cargovan.

Other than that get a dodge caravan, throw some snow tires on it. Never had a problem with mine in the new hampshire Winters with good snow tires.

Soldato
Canada is not the same as the US. It's more similar to UK price wise. Maybe a touch cheaper.

Well, it's similar in that the price in dollars is almost the same in pounds.

Just from looking today, Fuel is around $1.20 a litre, so 89p/litre. So whilst not silly cheap like some areas of the states, it's still significantly cheaper.

When I lived there I enjoyed the cheaper fuel - ran a V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee quite happily.

If I was the OP I'd be looking at a Dodge Grand Caravan for living in. However it may not be the best during the winter. However most ski resorts should be fairly accessible, so you won't need anything extreme.

Man of Honour
Just from looking today, Fuel is around $1.20 a litre, so 89p/litre. So whilst not silly cheap like some areas of the states, it's still significantly cheaper.

A litre of unleaded here in the UK is about 107p per litre. It really isn't enough of a difference to be totally care free about fuel economy in the way you could be over the border in Montana, where a litre of unleaded will cost you just 43p.

Soldato
A litre of unleaded here in the UK is about 107p per litre. It really isn't enough of a difference to be totally care free about fuel economy in the way you could be over the border in Montana, where a litre of unleaded will cost you just 43p.

True, it does allow for a little less concern for economy, but then as you've said comparing to the UK is pointless, as the market is different etc.

Associate
We have moved to Canada for a working holiday and need to find a car to use all winter in the ski fields while we work but also be able to live and travel in it in the summer.

We have done a similar thing in New Zealand with a Nissan Serena that was excellent and a VW T4 in Australia that again was excellent.

We are really struggling this time as I am worried about a rear wheel drive 5.4l engined van/truck in the snow and also how much fuel it will guzzle. All their MPV, vans and trucks seem to be at least 3.5 litre engines that get 15mpg.

We have looked and there are no t4s here in Vancouver in our budget and they don't bring over Nissan Serena's . We are at a loss and wondered if anyone had experience living in a car/van in Canada or had rented one here and could say whether it would be good to live out of.

Safety is a concern so don't want an old US van from 30 years ago. Also would like decent fuel efficiency and needs room in the back for a bed and storage underneath

When I visited Canada with my friend last winter, his sisters boyfriend who works on the mountain drives an old 1995 F150 with the 5 litre engine and it was alright actually :D Never felt like it was an issue. I would just go all out with a 4x4 modern ford pickup. Live the lifestyle :D

Associate
OP
I was going to go for a Dodge Grand Caravan but couldn't find a decent one in the short amount of time we had. I went for a Kia Sedona in the end. They seem to hold their value more unfortunately so I had to spend more for less. Even without traction control it seems okay in the tiny bit of snow it's seen, I got a decent set of winter tires on it so hopefully that makes a difference. It's a huge vehicle though and does drink fuel at an alarming rate but I guess that's too be expected. What's strange is that even with that huge V6 it doesn't seem all that powerful with the auto box. The Nissan Serena with a 2litre CVT transmission seemed a lot more responsive and I loved that gearbox as it was so smooth and nice to not feel it changing gears. I'm not sure why all auto cars don't have it.

Back
Top Bottom