Help connecting cpu power

Associate
Hey building my first pc,
so my MB has a 8pin+4pin for cpu. My PSU is fully modular I only have a 8 pin labled for cpu.
Do I need the extra 4 pin pluged in?

Associate
OP
Yh Ryzen build.
Mb is TUF Gaming X570 Plus
PSU is Seasonic focus plus 650

So I can just plug in 8pin and leave the 4pin on MB?
Had a bad feeling my PSU wasnt compatible

Soldato
Yh Ryzen build.
Mb is TUF Gaming X570 Plus
PSU is Seasonic focus plus 650

So I can just plug in 8pin and leave the 4pin on MB?
Had a bad feeling my PSU wasnt compatible

yeah should be fine, 4pin normally to add extra volts or spread the load at high usage (if you had Thermal cam and shot it at 8 pin and 8+4pin installed see slightly lower temps but that's being hard core) . 8 Pin will provide the power fine enough

Associate
OP
Are the cpu and pci-e modular cables the same? If they are I could use 1 half of the cpu cable for the 4 pin and a pci-e labled cable for the other 8pin?

Heres the other components im using just to clarify power usage.
Cpu Ryzen 3700x
Cooler Dark rock 4
Gpu Gigabyte 2070 super
psu Seasonic focus plus 650gold
2tb Corsair m.nvme
1tb samsung evo ssd
16gb corsair vengence ram

Soldato
Do not use a PCIE cable for the CPU as the wires will be in a different order and will damage/kill the motherboard and maybe the CPU as well.

If you must use both the 8 pin and the 4 pin for the CPU, i would contact Seasonic and see if they will send you a extra 4+4 CPU cable. (you will probably have to pay for it though)

Associate
OP
Ok cheers.
I have my build all done with just the 8pin and no 4pin. Am I ok to power it on and use it like this?
I can go ahead and get an extra 4+4 cable if needed tho?

I know @orbitalwalsh said earlier it should be fine, just want to double check after listing my parts.

Associate
OP
Thanks, got the system all set up just wanted to check back here to see if my temps are good (save making a all new thread)

CPU temp is hovering around 45-50c idle upto 70ish gaming highest ive seen is 77c so far.
GPU temp 35c idle upto 65c gaming

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom