Help deciphering enginey things - DET3 launch control setup!

Caporegime
Hi guys,

So my Corolla has an ECUMaster DET3 wired in, and I would like to set up the launch control. Partly "just cos" and partly because I think it would be fun to use at the next Santa Pod meet we do.

The settings available to me are:

Parameters:

Activation input – what input used for activating the launch control function. For extra analog input table switch input must be configured as “Use as launch control”

Activation RPM – engine speed which the ignition retardation and the fuel mixture enrichment takes place

Cut off RPM – engine speed when the ignition will be cut off,

Ignition retard – ignition retard angle during the staring procedure

Fuel Enrichment – value added to the current Analog Out value.

Enable VSS control – enable vehicle speed sensor (VSS) control over launch control

VSS Limit – frequency (in Hz) of Frequency In input, above launch control function will be automatically turned off

I have no idea what to do with these settings... :p

The input will be a toggle switch... And I understand that the cut-off RPM will be the RPM it holds for the launch, but thats all I know! :eek: :p

Guessing I ignore the last two options, and I know what to put for the first one, and the cut-off I think I'll have as about 3250RPM, but what about:

Activation RPM
Ignition retard
Fuel enrichment

:confused:

Associate
I haven't set up this ECU before, but reading between the lines and using experience from other ECU's:

You can tell some polish person wrote this originally, manual is not really clear.

Activation input – Your input switch will be assigned to a location on the wiring. This location needs to be selected here.

Activation. RPM – If you want your limit to kick in around 4000 (for example), then you want your activation rpm to be set to 4000.

Cut off RPM – The wording for this is a little strange in the documentation but I assume it is going to be your hard cut limit where 100% ignition is cut as your launch control value has been surpassed beyond what it can control.

Ignition retard – They don't specify if the value is your current ignition angle minus this value, or if it locks your ignition timing to whatever you enter into the box. Assuming its the latter, start with about -5 degrees.

Fuel Enrichment
– This will just add a % of fuel ontop of your normal fuel settings. On a non turbo car you shouldn't need to add too much fuel unless you are trying to make fireworks out the back of your exhaust.

Enable VSS control – Enable this if you want speed controlled safeguards for launch control

VSS Limit – If certain speed is reached, arming of the launch control will be disabled.

Worth mentioning that on a non turbo car that launch control is only used to keep RPM's locked at a certain point. So a lot of these settings to do with fuel and ignition retard are a little OTT, but can be used to create a good fire display.

Whereas on a turbo car, you need it to lock RPM's and build boost in an area it might not normally build boost, thus the settings for ignition angles & fuel enrichment.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks for the explanation. Theres some more detail here on the guide:

e; Cant link cos my crap phone wont let me but if you google DET3 Launch Control its the PDF link which says somethintsomething fuel implant. :)

Caporegime
OP
Tomorrow on ACME's Adventures... "My clutch is slipping, bought lemon"

The Corolla is faultless honestly. Thrash it around all over the place and it has yet to miss a beat. Everything works. Probably the least lemony car I've owned. :p

I'll poke about with the DET3 this weekend. I think launch has been enabled at some point in the past, so if I'm lucky the settings will still be in there...

The child in me is looking forward to having a capped toggle switch next to the gearstick. (I have a spare gearstick surround so I'll drill a hole for a switch in the worse of the two) :D

ezaTCcKl.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Launch control on the typical car cuts fuel, 2 step keeps fuel going in to spool turbos. Yours has a setting for fuel change... I'm fairly sure it'll dump all that fuel straight out the exhaust.. thus destroying your cat.

Caporegime
OP
Ask on corolla club uk, I'm sure someone on there will know.

In the Facebook group they're all chavs that lick Sam Nadeems arse ring (the guy who sold me that Celica), I left that group a long time ago.

I might join the forum and see if the people there are more helpful though, taa. :p

Soldato
In the Facebook group they're all chavs that lick Sam Nadeems arse ring (the guy who sold me that Celica), I left that group a long time ago.

I might join the forum and see if the people there are more helpful though, taa. :p

Lol, facebook groups of certain cars are hit and miss. If you saw what the e46 owners club is like you'd never want a bmw again lol.

The forum is pretty good from what I remember. Used to be a guy called Aiden on there who was helpful. This was when I was considering getting a Compressor Corolla, then bought that stupid type r.

EDIT: If you have instagram type that det whatever it is and see who's got one and ask them questions. I've done it with countless things with cars and people are happy to help from my experience.

Caporegime
OP
I've posted on the forums. Seems I already had an account. Wrote a long post explaining an issue in detail, and nobody replied for 2 days. So I don't hold out too much hope :p

Back
Top Bottom