• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help for long time existing customer but new to forums

Associate
Hi, I have a long purchase history with Overclockers, going back ten years and have brought a lot of stuff on my account. I didn’t realise but the forums accounts seem to be a separate entity to the main Overclockers account, which means despite my history, I’m am seen as a new member to Overclockers as far as the forums go, which then limits me to be able to get involved in Overclockers new graphics card voucher scheme.

Can anything be done about this? I mean I’ve spent thousands with Overclockers over the years?

thanks, sorry if it’s a big of a newb question

Associate
there are a good few of us in the same position, let's hope we get included in the new solution Gibbo has mentioned yesterday in a separate thread :)

Associate
OP
Arh ok, not just me then! Seems daft. I’ll look for this gibbo thread, thanks for commenting

Yeh I could rack up 50 posts quickly, but then I read that they will be looking out for people doing exactly that and will block them, so I cant just do 50 posts or I’ll come across as a scalper just trying to access the codes. So I don’t know what to do really

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
that is what happened to me - I have taken part in some of the forum talks over a period of weeks. It definitely was not spamming useless comments. Still, I got zeroed ;)

Associate
OP
No I get they’re trying to do something, it’s just frustrating. As soon as I stumbled on this I thought yes I’ve been with these guys for years and then oh nope you don’t count as you weren’t in the forums, and your like what are you serious? That’s what they value? Not my custom for over a decade. Big sigh. Just frustrating. This whole gpu situation really gets on my ****

Man of Honour
Although I appreciate your frustration, what is your suggestion for a solution? The fact is that an administratively simple system like this that actually stands a chance of being implemented is better than one that's more complicated/open to access by scalpers.

Associate
It’s a tough one.. also in same boat - use the forums, used search rather than spamming same questions and spent thousands but have not ticked the post count tick box.

Not complaining though, if they want to reward loyal customers who have contributed to the community I get it, post count is as good a measure as anything. Nothings perfect.

Associate
OP
Well it’s a difficult one isn’t it. I’m use to having a single log in to forums of retail websites but these guys as I’ve found out operate them completely independently from each other. So I don’t know if they actually can somehow link history from one to the other, obviously only they would know that. I’d assume they could but it would probably require a lot of back end work and money, which I doubt is something they’d really want to do.

All I can do is just try and get involved with a few posts, start talking to people and get my posts up, and obviously hope they don’t assume I’m some sort of scalper and block me for the relatively quick build up of posts. So frustrating. I mean you go on eBay now and there’s like 300 3080s on there, 300! Not even including the 3070s or anything, just the bog standard 3080! The government really need to try and do something about these bloody scalpers

Soldato
Is it not a fairly straight forward, I mean about an hour's worth of dev time to duplicate the MM section and rename the new one to 'Forum Member Voucher Deals'? Do a find and replace on the 1000 post requirement. Delete the forums under the newly created section except one and rename to 'Graphics Cards'.

Associate
OP
Well yeh obviously lol, but that can easily fall into an individual’s interpretation. Someone could say I’m trying to be active and post relevant posts to threads to get 50 posts and look at my posts and see they are genuine integration, regardless of intention as they were all relative posts.. Someone else could say well they may have been genuine and relevant posts but knowing you only got active to obtain 50 posts is still classed as spamming in that persons eyes. So no It isn’t that straight forward pal

Associate
OP
They are doing what they can to help. Just because they can't help everybody, it doesn't mean they shouldn't help somebody.
Oh I get they’re trying to do something, I think it’s a brilliant idea. But at the same time, it’s very easy to have that narrow minded view when your on the other side of the fence pal

Associate
Well yeh obviously lol, but that can easily fall into an individual’s interpretation. Someone could say I’m trying to be active and post relevant posts to threads to get 50 posts and look at my posts and see they are genuine integration, regardless of intention as they were all relative posts.. Someone else could say well they may have been genuine and relevant posts but knowing you only got active to obtain 50 posts is still classed as spamming in that persons eyes. So no It isn’t that straight forward pal
It's certainly better than complaining about it.

Soldato
Oh I get they’re trying to do something, I think it’s a brilliant idea. But at the same time, it’s very easy to have that narrow minded view when your on the other side of the fence pal

It's not a "narrow minded view", it's the pragmatic facts. They tried doing it publicly, and it didn't work, with bots and codes spread all over the internet within minutes, so customers wouldn't have been able to get cards anyway. This way at least forum members (who this was aimed at) got some benefit while OCUK investigate what other anti-scalper systems they can implement.

Associate
OP
It's certainly better than complaining about it.
Well yep that’s exactly what I’m doing, I’m getting involved in some of these discussions and obviously hope I don’t get flagged for spamming which is the opposite of what I’m doing. I just started this thread to see if that really was how it was. Unfortunately and frustratingly that seems to be the way, so I’ll see how I get on with some of these threads

It's not a "narrow minded view", it's the pragmatic facts. They tried doing it publicly, and it didn't work, with bots and codes spread all over the internet within minutes, so customers wouldn't have been able to get cards anyway. This way at least forum members (who this was aimed at) got some benefit while OCUK investigate what other anti-scalper systems they can implement.
I never meant to put the phrase narrow minded bud, iPad auto thing. Obviously I assume you can see why it would be frustrating for someone that’s spent thousands with them over a decade but then is excluded from there voucher plan scheme

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom