Help! GFX just went bang! Found green liquid on mobo...

Soldato
Just looking through those links you sent @Hotwired - It looks like it should be under warranty still (purchased from OCUK in Nov 2014), and Silverstone state that in Europe the TD02 has a 5 years warranty. It also looks like they say they'll cover damage to components resulting from faulty production - so perhaps there is hope?! Although not sure how I'd go about starting this process... Their website only has a standard RMA form and no email address or contact number for Europe - just a postal address in Germany.

Not had any experience with returns before - it it likely to be something OCUK will deal with?

Thanks again

Please update this thread with how you get on, will be interesting to know Silverstone response

Soldato
It looks like this is the cause then! How does something like that happen?

Is it a fault or just something that can happen over time?

Given the pop, does this still likely mean the mobo socket is dead too?
It happens because marketing doesn't tell everything.
While heatpipes are basically going to operate (unless physically broken) longer than it takes for you to end up as worm food, waterpipe coolers have weaknesses/failure points from complexity.

Could have been some sealing o-ring hardening and giving up.
Or galvanic corrosion eating one part to let coolant leak past it...

Silverstone state that in Europe the TD02 has a 5 years warranty.
Once corrosion inhibitors lose their effectiveness aluminium and copper are risk of galvanic corrosion.
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5680/silverstone-tundra-td02-aio-cpu-cooler-review/index2.html

While nickel is close to copper, if coating isn't strong enough it could fail etc.
And in worst situations even small anodic index difference is enough to start galvanic corrosion.
Galvanic corrosion is major problem in lots of industrial structures, needing regular maintenance and replacing of parts, or very specific preventive precautions.
(especially ships, double so in salty ocean water)

Here's more about it in water cooling.
https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/corrosion-explored/comment-page-1/

As for that graphics card, those burnt contacts are for 12V:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#Pinout
So there was clearly major short circuit.

Associate
glad i seen this post i was sort of considering an aio
but never really fancied it due to leak risks
this sealed it for me and i went with a Noctua D15S

sorry for your loss btw
i hope you get it sorted with the aio manufacturer

Associate
OP
*UPDATE*

Just in case anyone is interested - @Hotwired was right - The TD02 comes with a 5 years warranty that covers any additional components that die as a result of a fault. I got in touch with SilverStone, who checked the pics and then sent me a prepaid label and asked me to send the TD02, my GFX card and my mobo off to them in Germany. Sent it out 3pm on Friday from the UK, and had an email today (Monday) to confirm they had received it and were going to issue me a refund for all three components! RESULT! Thanks again for all of your help!

Now just to figure out what the current equivalent of my deceased 970 is.... Any suggestions?

Soldato
:eek:

RESULT

As for the card... just happens to be a random review up looking at older cards in 2019 :p

https://www.techspot.com/review/1822-geforce-gtx-970-vs-radeon-r9-290/

Did you get cash or some kind of credit or what.

What you want to replace it with depends on your budget. The best value card is the 570 4GB for £120 (at ocuk) which is about 970 performance give or take a bit depending on game.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Associate
OP
Yup - Just to confirm as an update, Silverstone refunded me in cash, the cost of the TD02, my Mobo and GFX card at the price paid 4.9 years ago!

Result!

Associate
Yup - Just to confirm as an update, Silverstone refunded me in cash, the cost of the TD02, my Mobo and GFX card at the price paid 4.9 years ago!

Result!
That's great! I can't imagine Asus doing the same if one of their AIOs were responsible for similar damage.

Man of Honour
Nice. Seeing the hassle some have gone through with other brands in even more clear cut cases than this that is a decent result unfortunate as it is it happened in the first place. Sadly though I suspect people will abuse it in future to get free upgrades :(

Associate
nice one, I had the same with a corsair cooler a couple of years back, pretty much killed everything but the 2600k cpu, had to send it all to corsair, and they gave me the money for it, dont think it was for the full price I bought it for though, so cudos to silverstone

Back
Top Bottom