• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help! Graphics Card Upgrade - 3 Monitor setup

Associate
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my 8800gt - generally I wouldn't have a problem deciding but I have a couple of complications:

1) I currently have a 3 monitor setup where the 8800gt is connected to a single 23" monitor @ 2048x1152 and the other two 19" monitors are connected to a 7800gt.

2) My motherboard only supports Crossfire. It has 3xPCI-e connectors (2 @ 16x, 1 @ 4x) ga-ep45-ds3p So if I go with ATI, in the future I could add another card in crossfire for a little more power

Here are my options:

1) Buy an ATI card (Giving the option of Crossfire in the future) - But I would be forced to buy a second, cheaper, ATI card for £44.99 (4650 w/dual dvi connectors) for the other monitors (both cards must use the same drivers)

2) Buy an nvidia card - And use one of my current nvidia cards for the other monitors (No extra cost but I would have to replace the card in a future upgrade)

I'm looking for good perfomance now and good future (1+ years) proofing/upgrade posiblities
My budget is fairly free - I could go up to a gtx295 but I don't want to spend more than I need to. Generally I don't play newer games - but that is mainly because my 8800gt struggles with them however I would like to try out crysis and such.

SO BASICALLY... Is it worth switching to ATI (stronger atm) for an extra £44.99 or just stick with nivida?

Thanks!

Soldato
you can buy displayport to dvi adaptors if you wanted to go the ATi 58** route.

Alternatively, Windows7 allows you to use a mix of card manufacturers.

Associate
OP
Ah yes, I had read that it didn't work with an adaptor but looking at this thread now, it looks like It does work with a specific type! Also I will be upgrading to Windows 7 so actually I shouldn't have a problem anyway!

Thanks for the input!

Associate
OP
Yeah, I've just been reading up on it and Windows 7's Heterogeneous Multi-Adaptor feature - I'll probably just use 2 monitors with a 58xx card until windows 7 comes out since my main monitor is a different resolution to the others.

Associate
With a 58** card you can run with 3 monitors yes, with a little bit more compatibility.
Although you will need 1 monitor out of the 3 to have a display port.

DP > DVI adapters do not work. It requires a 'active' DP > DVI adapter which sell for approx $100, and dont currently sell in the UK to my knowledge.

Edit: This is for eyefinity mode.

Back
Top Bottom