HELP!! - Linking a Domain to a site made in Google Sites

Associate
Hi

I was hoping one of you lovely people could help me out.

Me and a mate have started our own Gaming page, we have all the social media ect and over the weekend purchased a domain name from Google.

We have started to build a site using Google Sites, we wanted something we could both access as i have very limited experience of HTML and my mates wouldn't have access to something like Dreamweaver.

Heres our problem, when trying to link the site to the domain it was asking for verification, we think we have managed to do this via a "CNAME"? it was also asking for "DNS" which i couldn't figure out how to do. Now when we try to link to the domain it is coming up with a error, "The URL is already in use with another Google Service" I have no idea how to find what this service is and how to remove the service.

Can anybody help as currently we have the domain redirecting to the address Google sites uses, which isnt ideal

Thanks in advance :)

Associate
OP
so ive managed to sort the url in use issue, i think it was because we had forwarding setup, however i am now getting the below error (ive taken out the website name as i didnt want to self promote on here)

This site can’t be reached
www.------.co.uk’s server IP address could not be found.

• Search Google for
ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

Soldato
I think the www cname record you have should point to ghs.googlehosted.com rather than your own domain name.

edit: also, when you're making changes to DNS, it can take a while for the change to take effect. You can see the "1h" under TTL column. That means the record will be cached for 1 hour so it could be anything up to 1 hour before the changes you make are seen

Associate
OP
I think the www cname record you have should point to ghs.googlehosted.com rather than your own domain name.

edit: also, when you're making changes to DNS, it can take a while for the change to take effect. You can see the "1h" under TTL column. That means the record will be cached for 1 hour so it could be anything up to 1 hour before the changes you make are seen

Thank you, i will try that and see what happens.

Associate
OP

That worked, thanks mate, very very much apperciated.

Back
Top Bottom