HELP. MB or PSU dead?

Soldato
I've been having problems with my pc lately. Not sure if its my MB or PSU that needs replacing.

My pc won't turn on if the power connecter is pluged in all the way into mb but if its just loosley connected, it turns on.... but since its loose, it gets knocked and then the power goes off. Only tried this a few times and not doing it again incase any other parts get damanged.

Not sure if its the PSU or MB that is the problem.

PSU - OZU 800w
MB - (P5N32-E SLI PLUS)

Maybe I should just upgrade the mb? I'd like to build an i7 system.

Soldato
OP
I only have an old 450w psu from 2002. I am leaning towards the MB being dead as I did get my pc up and working yesterday and everything was fine.

Don't think that would work power my system.

Soldato
I only have an old 450w psu from 2002. I am leaning towards the MB being dead as I did get my pc up and working yesterday and everything was fine.

Sorry perhaps I've not read your post correctly - so when the ATX power connector leading from your PSU is snuggly connected to your MB it won't power on, but when it's "loosely" connected it does?

If that's the case it's likely to be faulty connector on the motherboard as far as I can see?

Soldato

It would be fine if you removed your graphic cards and anything else that might draw a considerable amount of power that you don't need. Troubleshooting is easy but time consuming :(

Soldato
OP
Sorry perhaps I've not read your post correctly - so when the ATX power connector leading from your PSU is snuggly connected to your MB it won't power on, but when it's "loosely" connected it does?

If that's the case it's likely to be faulty connector on the motherboard as far as I can see?

thats correct.

I've removed everything and tried turning it on... looks like its the mb causing the problem.

Soldato
thats correct.

I've removed everything and tried turning it on... looks like its the mb causing the problem.

Yeah that'd be my guess. Not sure how easy this is on newer PSUs but in the old days where you could get PSUs to run IDE drives without an MB I'd just connect looooaadddss of IDE drives to the PSU and kick start it, if the PSU died, bobs your uncle problem found.

Personally I'd test the PSU first if at all posslbe, as changing MB is likely to be a hassle.

Goodl luck with it mate

Associate
the green and any black wire make up the turn on switch for the PSU. use a paper clip and connect the green to any black wire, it should turn on. if it has trouble, it may be something to do with your PSU. but it sounds like a loose connection on the MB. using tweezers, gently test all the pins on the MB to see if any are loose.

Soldato
OP
the green and any black wire make up the turn on switch for the PSU. use a paper clip and connect the green to any black wire, it should turn on. if it has trouble, it may be something to do with your PSU. but it sounds like a loose connection on the MB. using tweezers, gently test all the pins on the MB to see if any are loose.

I stuck a paper clip into the two holes and tried turning it on but nothing happened.

I followed this guide - http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34941

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I just connected the psu to an old mb and it powered on and a few fans(CPU FAN, GPU FAN) started spinning. The leds on the psu were blinking though. The fan on the psu didn't spin all the way up as it normally does (guessing because the load wasn't high enough?)

So, maybe its the mb that is dodgy?

When I connect it to my P5N32 MB the PSU cuts out in a few seconds of turning on but on the other MB it powers on and stays on.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just connected the psu to an old mb and it powered on and a few fans(CPU FAN, GPU FAN) started spinning. The leds on the psu were blinking though. The fan on the psu didn't spin all the way up as it normally does (guessing because the load wasn't high enough?)

So, maybe its the mb that is dodgy?

When I connect it to my P5N32 MB the PSU cuts out in a few seconds of turning on but on the other MB it powers on and stays on.

Hmm.. I'd leave the PSU connected to that other MB for a good hour and see if everything is okay. If it is then yep looks like it's more MB :(

Soldato
OP
Will go connect it to the old MB and leave it on for an hour.

No biggie if its the MB needs replacing as I was planning on starting an i7 build anyway. Just don't have the funds to do a full upgrade right now though so can only get a new MB in the mean time.

Was looking at this one - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-159-GI

Good upgrade from my ASUS P5N32-E SLI PLUS?

Soldato
Troubleshooting is easy but time consuming :(

That's just not true. See here for an example.

I'm inclined to think, based on the above, that the motherboard and psu are both damaged but neither is dead. That it booted briefly means there's some life in them yet. I think I'd also replace both in this situation.

650W will be ample, if not a little excessive. If you're intending to keep it into the next build then it makes a lot of sense.

Soldato
OP
Can someone spec me a MB and PSU for under £150.

Just needs to do with what I have got just now. Will probably build an i7 system in a few months.. will do a big upgrade then. I just really need to get my current pc up and running as I need to access my HDD asap.

Will I be able to boot straight back in windows with the new MB?

Back
Top Bottom