• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help me buy the correct Graphics card

Associate
Hi guys my trusty EVGA GTX 750ti classified finally gave up the ghost this month and i'm having to buy a decent card to replace it.

My system is modest 5820k on a Asus x99-s board latest bios, with 16gb memory. This cpu has handled everything I have thrown at it. The monitor is a Dell 3014 running 2560x1600 res.

I play most pc titles civ6, destiny2, shadow of war etc etc and would like a card that will comfortably handle anything and give me some future proofing as I will probably migrate the card to a new system when I probably upgrade next year.

I read reviews all over the net but because I have let myself be detached a bit from the hardware building scene, (young family etc) I feel I have lost touch a bit. My realistic budget is £200 to £350 but could stretch if someone can justify me paying extra.

Can anyone tell me what to get lol

Soldato
Hate to inform you this, but now is a bad time for buying graphic card.

Due to the whole Cryptocurrency mining craze, graphic card price gotten inflated to crazy high. Graphic card you buy new at the moment, they are at a higher price than half year to 1 year ago. At this stage you are essentially pricing price premium for buying dated graphic card.

You want a card that would handle everything you throw at it up to the near future for 2560x1600, the 1080Ti is probably the only option but that's WAY out of your budget.

Associate
They're crazy high at the top end (1080 and Vega) but the inflation in the mid range isn't too bad. I went through this recently, doing the 6gb 1060 vs RX 580 vs 1070ti debate and looking at every possible variation on here and all competing sites..and actually, the average uplift is about £60 on top of launch prices.

At that res and those games you should look to see if others (check Youtube and forums) using the RX580 or 1070 ti are playing alright, then see how prices do on OcUK.. I don't think they're suddenly going to drop (some sites show stock level and a cursory statistical calculation illustrates where we're at on supply and demand - clue: it's pretty stable), so the only questions are 1) Does something costing £300 do the job and 2) Are you willing to pay a princely £60 for the pleasure..

Caporegime
Given the resolution the 1070 is probably the best bet given your budget to be honest. Prices are settling down to the £300-£350 mark which is OK value.

Nothing solid on their replacement but likely this year.

bru

bru

Soldato
At the lower end of our budget and an ideal replacement for the outgoing 750ti, a 6GB 1060 for about £250 would be a good choice.

Soldato
Given that you've been using a 750 Ti, I'm guessing you're not fussed about running games at ultra high graphics settings. A 4 GB GTX 1050 Ti will be a considerable boost over your 750 Ti, and a 6 GB GTX 1060 will be a significant boost over that. That said, the latest rumours say that Nvidia will be releasing new GPUs in July, not that far off, which will mean price reductions on current GPUs and the 1150 Ti should give similar or better performance than the 1060.

Permabanned
Given that you've been using a 750 Ti, I'm guessing you're not fussed about running games at ultra high graphics settings. A 4 GB GTX 1050 Ti will be a considerable boost over your 750 Ti, and a 6 GB GTX 1060 will be a significant boost over that. That said, the latest rumours say that Nvidia will be releasing new GPUs in July, not that far off, which will mean price reductions on current GPUs and the 1150 Ti should give similar or better performance than the 1060.
I thought this as well. I have the same monitor as the OP and I'm a little surprised that he was using a 750Ti.

I use a 1070 which handles pretty much everything at this res with max settings. My 970 before that did a decent job with most titles, though turning down a few settings. A 1060 is faster than a 970 so that could probably also suffice for your needs. So if you need something right this minute I'd suggest deciding between a 1060 or 1070.

Associate
OP
Guy thanks all for taking the time to reply to my thread, your opinions have all been greatly appreciated. I decided to pay a bit more on my budget and opt for this card https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-19m-gi.html Nice wee discount to get me to bite, not the 5yrs warranty of the Zotac cards granted but a good reputable RMA process if required. Is a good performing card from what i have read should see me through the choppy waters of new GPU releases etc over the next year or so until i decide to do a full system upgrade

Associate
OP
ok received the 1070 ti for gigabyte, installed boosted to 1721 using the Auros graphic engine, it was pretty no frills stuff just the card and a drivers disk but it runs quiet, shadow of war at 2560 x 1600 on ultra settings is a thing of beauty.

Back
Top Bottom