Help Me Decide, MKV(5): .:R32, ED30 or GTI

Man of Honour
Ah from the guys at R32OC, been having a good chat with these lot about what car to buy. They are swaying one way :D

The V6 itch is getting bigger

Honestly having driven both the GTI and the R32, and being a massive fan of 6 pots and a disliker of 4 pots... the GTI is the better car.

It handles better, it feels more nimble, it's quite a lot more economical, the engine really suits the car. It's really good - and I'm far from Mr Golf Fan.

If you want a big 6 cylinder engine buy a car that suits it - not a Golf.

Man of Honour
You'll probably haggle a better deal on the R32 right now though. There's one in my local VW garage and it has been there ages. People don't want petrol guzzling, high tax cars right now.

Man of Honour
The GTI is hardly considered in the same vain as a Bluemotion though is it? It's a case of thirsty car or thirstier car, neither are ecohatches.

Man of Honour
Agreed but when faced with a medium sized four pot engine compared to a 3.2l v6 on (I think) the top tax bracket, Joe Public tends to veer away from the bigger engines car.

Associate
OP
You'll probably haggle a better deal on the R32 right now though. There's one in my local VW garage and it has been there ages. People don't want petrol guzzling, high tax cars right now.

What local VW garage is it that has the .:R32?

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
I've driven a Mk5 GTi non Ed 30 and a Mk5 R32... I'd take the GTi every day of the week. The GTI felt much more fun, and I didn't think the R32 sounded all that?

Soldato
stop being a pedantic *disguise swearing and don't insult*

left lane at 70 wagon doing 55. big line of traffic in middle lane doin 70+.
you now have a choice
A wait for god knows how long for a gap big enough for you to get in without accelerating (which btw doesnt leave you long because youre gaining on the wagon at 15 mph)? or

why would you need to accelerate to join a middle lane moving at 70 when your already doing 70 :/

Soldato
My recommendation, if you're set on a hot Golf, is to test drive both the Ed.30 and the R32. Decide for yourself which one you like best, but bear in mind that the R32 is going to be tougher on running costs.

Neither are particularly slow, so whichever you go for you're going to be happy.

Of course, there's also the Golf R, but anyone who spends £25K+ on a hot hatch needs their head examined.

Associate
OP
I agree Tute. I will test drive both and see what I prefer. Of course I would never go for a MK6 Golf R at that those prices. Also out of my league as I'm only 20.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just read through this thread and I was surprised at the supposed "exclusivity" of the R32. I see a LOT of them on the road, but can't remember when I last saw an ED30.

If you're buying a car for wanting to stand out and have a V6, buy an old Omega and paint it fluorescent pink. Everyone will notice you and you'll have the only one. Cheap too.

Man of Honour
70+ to safely join the gap in middle lane.

The speed limit is 70 (Go as fast as you want, nothing to do with me) so are you actually suggesting that on a busy congested motorway the only safe way to negotiate traffic is to exceed the speed limit every time you come up against somebody going 65 or less?

Soldato
In the past I have heard posters on here claim that they thought joining the motorway in a 1.2 90's hatchback was dangerous because of the lack of power, this thread contains yet more spectacular examples of how terrible some posters on here drivings skills and habits must be day to day.

Caporegime
In the past I have heard posters on here claim that they thought joining the motorway in a 1.2 90's hatchback was dangerous because of the lack of power, this thread contains yet more spectacular examples of how terrible some posters on here drivings skills and habits must be day to day.

I think that assumption comes from the fact that more often than not, any issues I encounter with other motorists on the motorway have been with utter scrotum driving a low powered lunchbox on wheels.

Man of Honour
Just read through this thread and I was surprised at the supposed "exclusivity" of the R32. I see a LOT of them on the road, but can't remember when I last saw an ED30.

I think this comes from the mk4 R32 which was indeed a limited run. But I don't think the mk5 is limited at all. It was just another model you could buy. If I were buying an R32 for exclusivity then I'd probably be looking at the mk4 (although the mk5 is the better car).

Soldato
I think that assumption comes from the fact that more often than not, any issues I encounter with other motorists on the motorway have been with utter scrotum driving a low powered lunchbox on wheels.

Nope, people have posted, in short "I was driving a 1.2 and joining the motorway with such little power was scary!"

Back
Top Bottom