Help Me Decide, MKV(5): .:R32, ED30 or GTI

Soldato
R32 is a great car. The engine is very reliable, although if you get one have the timing chain checked.

Problem with the mk5 over the mk4 is, as has already been said, the mk4 was a limited run and did look different and a bit special. The only difference looks wise the mk5 has is a badge and some wheels.

Having said that, with a little tinkering the mk5 can be a really nice 'r32' looking car. DSG with dsg remap, exhaust and intake and ecu remap along with some choice handling mods and its a fantastic car, if a little on the tubby side.

Get a haldex upgrade too if you get one!

Soldato
[TW]Fox;21700755 said:
The speed limit is 70 (Go as fast as you want, nothing to do with me) so are you actually suggesting that on a busy congested motorway the only safe way to negotiate traffic is to exceed the speed limit every time you come up against somebody going 65 or less?

If it means avoiding an accident or getting killed then yes I do believe that going over the speed limit fine if it means being safe. Eg, I can't count how many times people have cut in front of me (when in the left lane...) or tailgating me until the last possible second in which they swerve out and back in again. It just got so annoying that in some areas where traffic was particularly busy in lanes 1 or 2 then I would go in lane 3. :mad:

And I don't mean just you...I mean anybody. :p

Man of Honour
But we are talking every day driving. In everyday motorway driving you don't need to accelerate above 70 at sufficient speed that a 2.0TFSI Golf isnt capable in order to avoid being killed if you are cruising at 70 and wish to pass another car.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;21702070 said:
But we are talking every day driving. In everyday motorway driving you don't need to accelerate above 70 at sufficient speed that a 2.0TFSI Golf isnt capable in order to avoid being killed if you are cruising at 70 and wish to pass another car.

and what happens if you pull out into lane 2 to overtake lorry in lane 1...only to find salesnan middle lane hogger is coming up behind you at 100+. What do you do then?

Stick to 70 and just stay in the middle lane?

Pull back in behind the lorry at a slower speed (56mph or whatever) which involves you having to brake?

Or do you stick with it in 70 while the you go down a hill and the lorry going flat out (as they do) so it takes you what feels like half an hour to pass and then pull over to the left, all the time the dude behind is so eager to get past that he is glued to your bumper for said amount time... :confused:

I think its daft when people on here, so called 'motoring enthusiasts'. I find it hard to believe you drive a BMW with a 3.0l petrol V6 and have never gone over the speed limit. Why not just get a micra or something, would be far better when you spend all hours god sends on a spreadsheet working out your financial motoring costs. :rolleyes:

Man of Honour

1334684890.jpg

Man of Honour
I drive a couple of V6's and mostly stick to the speed limit :confused:

And on the rare occasion I drive something slower I make sure the gap behine me is bigger before pulling out, in case I've misjudged the other persons speed.

Haha superb!

Soldato

No, how about checking what's coming up in the lane you're pulling into? Then yes, stick to 70 and move into the middle lane when safe to do so...

I think its daft when people on here, so called 'motoring enthusiasts'. I find it hard to believe you drive a BMW with a 3.0l petrol V6 and have never gone over the speed limit. Why not just get a micra or something :rolleyes:

Any chimp can cruise at a high speed in any old crate, the pleasure of a nice car is having something that you are proud to own and is a joy to drive in terms of performance, handling, etc. Limit my car to 70mph for all I care, just let me get there quickly :D

Man of Honour
and what happens if you pull out into lane 2 to overtake lorry in lane 1...only to find salesnan middle lane hogger is coming up behind you at 100+. What do you do then?

They are usually in the outside lane. But to be honest if its clear when I pull out and I've not been a jerk and pulled out right in front of him then the fact he wants to do 100+ is his problem not mine. I'm not going to nuke the speed limit because he wants to and I'll stay in the lane I've chosen until such time as it is clear to return to the inside lane.

I'm not going to drop a cog and bury my foot into the carpet because somebody comes up behind me wanting to do triple figures?

Our choice to exceed the speed limit is ours and ours alone. We cannot expect others to do the same just to stop impeding our progress.

I think its daft when people on here, so called 'motoring enthusiasts'. I find it hard to believe you drive a BMW with a 3.0l petrol V6 and have never gone over the speed limit. Why not just get a micra or something, would be far better when you spend all hours god sends on a spreadsheet working out your financial motoring costs. :rolleyes:

Just lol.

You are reading things which are not there. I've not stated what my personal adherence to the speed limit is because it isn't relevent. I'm saying that in day to day normal motorway driving its nonsensical to suggest you need to frequently accelerated significant above the speed limit. You just don't.

You are basically implying that in normal everyday motorway driving it is dangerous to not exceed the speed limit. This is a bit daft really.

Quite what that has to do with my own choice of speed I've no idea.

Last edited:
Soldato
No, how about checking what's coming up in the lane you're pulling into? Then yes, stick to 70 and move into the middle lane when safe to do so...

Any chimp can cruise at a high speed in any old crate, the pleasure of a nice car is having something that you are proud to own and is a joy to drive in terms of performance, handling, etc. Limit my car to 70mph for all I care, just let me get there quickly :D

Yes I agree in a way, but aren't we discussing acceleration into gaps etc not top speed? :o

Caporegime

Pull back in behind the lorry at a slower speed (56mph or whatever) which involves you having to brake?

Or do you stick with it in 70 while the you go down a hill and the lorry going flat out (as they do) so it takes you what feels like half an hour to pass and then pull over to the left, all the time the dude behind is so eager to get past that he is glued to your bumper for said amount time... :confused:

Wait for the car to bomb past (I've never had someone fly past me doing 100+ in the middle lane) and continue with the overtake if you're so worried about holding someone up? If you need the acceleration of a Veyron to get out of certain situation, take the bus.

Man of Honour
Yes I agree in a way, but aren't we discussing acceleration into gaps etc not top speed? :o

You shouldn't need to accelerate hard into gaps though - thats the point. If you need to accelerate hard to get into a gap when you are already doing 70 before you start then should you really be going for that gap?

Anticipation is the key.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;21705316 said:
If you need to accelerate hard to get into a gap when you are already doing 70 before you start then should you really be going for that gap?

I see this every single day, where a gap not much longer than the car trying to squeeze into it opens up, and they go for it.

Seeing ten cars ahead and ten cars behind has always been my motorway driving logic. I'm stuffed if the motorway is empty!

Man of Honour
Quite - the bottom line is that on the Motorway, a Golf GTI with a 230bhp 2.0TFSI is not found wanting in any normal situation.

I can imagine that the R32 might be a more sensible choice if you envisage suddenly finding yourself being chased by Bad Guys in a Camaro SS at exactly the same time as concrete sets in your gearbox preventing an easy downshift, but outside of this limited scenario of all the places where the power delivery of an R32 is a plus point over that of the GTI ED30, the M1 isn't one of them.

Man of Honour
Average compared to...?

Other hot hatches, it has nothing bar an nicer engine sound than most. It's not quicker, it doesnt handle better, it's heavier...I could go on. If you want a quick Golf buy the GTi, the VR6 is simply a nicer sounding, heavier, less sharp tool that is better in snow.

MrM

MrM

Associate
Isn't it one of those situations where you need to align your desired spec vs the two and take them for a test drive. I bought my gf a mk4 R32 5 door becuse I wanted 5 doors, strangely enough, full leather, sunroof, 4 motion and a V6 soundtrack. She uses it to commute and I use it for utility things on the weekend.

For our needs a 3 door would be a deal breaker, tartan seats would put me off and I don't like the shape of the mk5 and I like having a sunroof in a car. I also prefer the mk4 aesthetically to the same engined A3. Again all my opinion.

Work out what's important and what's not and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom