1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me decide

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Nabzlfc, May 13, 2019.

1. Nabzlfc

Gangster

Hi Folks,

I currently have a Mazda 6 2010 plate 2.0 petrol, recently I have been doing a lot of miles. So much so I'm currently about £65 a week on fuel as it stands. Probably doing approx 15-16k per annum on average. Been think recently of changing to a diesel not just because of the fuel costs currently but because I'd like to change car regardless, budget is 23k at most. I would like something comfortable but also with some decent power as do enjoy putting the foot down.

I've been toying between an E Class or a 330d. These are just some examples, I'd probably be looking to keep the car for 3 or 4 years at least.

Thoughts if you were to decide between the two? Anything else I should consider?

Cheers

2. HangTime

Man of Honour

15k miles doesn't necessarily preclude petrol cars, especially given diesel now costs around 5% more than petrol.

3. 200sols

Wise Guy

Any fuel savings will be lost to depreciation anyway, so buy a new car if you want one but it wont save you money if your buying a newer car.

4. Semple

Soldato

Making some general assumptions, but based on that mileage you're probably doing roughly 30 miles each way on your commute?

If most of that is open A/B roads or motorways then you'll probably see some fuel savings with diesel. But if a good portion of that are local roads and lots of queuing traffic, it's unlikely the diesel will be as efficient as the petrol.