Help me resolve an issue Renault main dealer cannot after 8x attempts!

Soldato
Hi guys,

For work, I've a 4-year old Renault Trafic Van - 2017, 1.6 125bhp. Bought new from main dealer, warranty ran out last month.

Since new it's had a minor issue; sometimes it does not start first time. The engine turns over and cranks for a normal amount of time, it behaves as if it starts but is then immediately switched off. Rev counter climbs to ~500rpm before dropping to 0.

The frequency at which this occurs varies but always within 100 miles of mixed driving. Sometimes much more frequently and then other times doesn't occur for a few days.

The majority of engine starts are with stop/start (vs starting on the key) so that's when the issue mostly occurs. The fault very rarely occurs twice in a row. Depressing the clutch a second time, and therefore invoking the stop/start again almost always results in a successful start.

On a couple of occasions I've had this issue occur on a key start, hence not thinking it's limited to stop/start issue.

Service from Renault dealer has generally been poor, they've never refused to look at it and over the 4 years has been in on 8 separate occasions for this fault, as and when it's been convenient for me to leave it with them. They don't invest enough time in to generating the fault with diagnostics kit attached and then subsequently testing any attempts at resolution. Typically, "here's the keys, let us know how you get on".

There have never been any fault codes logged and other than this issue with van drives really well and has been wholly reliable.

AFAIK Renault have replaced the Ignition ECU, battery and clutch pedal switches. As of last month all modules have the latest software versions, even those not associated with engine starting.

I have been down the route of complaining to Renault and the motor ombudsman, both without result.

Now that the van is out of warranty it seems worthwhile visiting this myself.

Really welcome any suggestions of where to start looking. I may be able to get Renault to resolve under warranty given the history.

If you need any more info then ask away!

Thank you.

Soldato
Crank sensor

that
restrospectively, I had had some tell from the tachometer where it sometimes stuck at a constant rpm;
the electronics in the cranks sensor get baked over the years and fail - bought a 3rd part one ~ £15, as opposed to stealer who wanted £140
I would have changed the camshaft position sensor too, if crank sensor had failed to correct problem

Permabanned
You need someone able and willing to leave a logging oscilloscope on it until the fault occurs. A 4 channel `scope should be able to log the prime suspects. (Cam and crank sensors, and ignition feed) Once fixed think on about the unwiseness in buying French cars.... ;)

The fact it loses tacho signal suggests crank sensor if you had to guess and be a parts changer. It COULD be an ecu, connector or wiring fault though. If you know where they are try disconnecting the cam and crank sensors, spraying the connectors with WD40 and reconnecting them again a few times. Same with ecu connector. Normally a fault code would be logged for such an issue, but.... it's French.

Soldato
Hi guys,

For work, I've a 4-year old Renault Trafic Van - 2017, 1.6 125bhp. Bought new from main dealer, warranty ran out last month.

Since new it's had a minor issue; sometimes it does not start first time. The engine turns over and cranks for a normal amount of time, it behaves as if it starts but is then immediately switched off. Rev counter climbs to ~500rpm before dropping to 0.

The frequency at which this occurs varies but always within 100 miles of mixed driving. Sometimes much more frequently and then other times doesn't occur for a few days.

The majority of engine starts are with stop/start (vs starting on the key) so that's when the issue mostly occurs. The fault very rarely occurs twice in a row. Depressing the clutch a second time, and therefore invoking the stop/start again almost always results in a successful start.

On a couple of occasions I've had this issue occur on a key start, hence not thinking it's limited to stop/start issue.

Service from Renault dealer has generally been poor, they've never refused to look at it and over the 4 years has been in on 8 separate occasions for this fault, as and when it's been convenient for me to leave it with them. They don't invest enough time in to generating the fault with diagnostics kit attached and then subsequently testing any attempts at resolution. Typically, "here's the keys, let us know how you get on".

There have never been any fault codes logged and other than this issue with van drives really well and has been wholly reliable.

AFAIK Renault have replaced the Ignition ECU, battery and clutch pedal switches. As of last month all modules have the latest software versions, even those not associated with engine starting.

I have been down the route of complaining to Renault and the motor ombudsman, both without result.

Now that the van is out of warranty it seems worthwhile visiting this myself.

Really welcome any suggestions of where to start looking. I may be able to get Renault to resolve under warranty given the history.

If you need any more info then ask away!

Thank you.
(head of UK PR ;) email him be polite he will open a case for you someone will look into try to resolve).

Man of Honour
I had something similar(ish) with my truck - never got around to having it looked at proper before one day a friend who is a qualified mechanic unplugged and plugged a bunch of wiring, cleaned up some contacts, etc. and it hasn't happened since.

Soldato
Having had a similar issue with an older Renault, it was the crankshaft position sensor. Can be cleaned up but it never lasts long. I ultimately replaced it as it was cheap as easy to do (15 mins). Camshaft position sensors are also affected so this would be my first port of call.

Back
Top Bottom