Help me video my shows

Associate
Hi please help me.
I’m looking for a video camera to record my amateur theatre shows. But there is just so much choice and it’s very confusing!
Basically it needs to work well in low light, have an easily controllable zoom and not use too much memory as the results will go on a DVD.
Preferably under £1000.
Just need a few recommendations from people who know what they’re talking about (you lot) rather than a “top ten”.
TIA

Associate
All zoom controls are straightforward, either push a rocker button or turn a ring. Good low light recording requires a larger sensor and at that price point you might struggle. I think most will do an OK job though. Maybe try hiring one first?

Memory doesn’t mean anything in this context. You record onto memory card, edit on a computer and make a DVD from there.

Associate
If it’s dvd then 1080 would suffice surely.

I’ve videoed school drama stage stuff before … the video is normally fine to do if the stage lights are bright.

Youd likely find the audio the harder part to record along with the video. If the audio is getting amplified for a performance you might want to look at recording that from the amp into the camera rather than using the camera mic

Associate
I have the Canon Legria HF G25, which is a capable 1080p camera, low light capabilities are pretty good. Canon claims a 20% low light boost, against what I have no idea, pretty straight forward to use and has a mic in jack, twin SD card and 32GB internal storage.

For the price second hand you could have an external mic system on stage and come in well under budget, or mount a shotgun mic on the camera.

Soldato
Why DVD? Who's going to watch the recordings and why do they want a DVD rather than a YouTube link or a downloadable file? Not to mention the process of editing for/burning to DVDs is WAY more work for you vs just uploading a video file.

How long are the shows? What are they?

Back
Top Bottom