Help me with Upgrade Please

Soldato
Hi Guys,

Its been many years since i made my current PC and now i feel its time to upgrade.

Current system:

PSU: Corsair VX 550W PSU

GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 460 Dual X 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

RAM: TeamGroup Vulcan RED 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.40GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor

COOLER: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 Dual Fan Quiet CPU Cooler

M/B: MSI B85-G43 Intel B85 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard

SDD: Samsung 120GB SSD 840 EVO SATA 6Gbs Basic

Got a Fractal case which I want to keep and a few WD storage drives ranging from 4-8TB which i also will keep for storage and backup purposes. Also have a copy of Win 10 so do not need an OS. Everything else can be replaced.

Its struggling now to transcode 4K on Plex streaming. Its also very stuttery in AutoCAD work.
Ideally want to keep as many components as possible but have to change things up. I think the PSU probably can be reused?

Will be pairing the new build with a Iiyama 34" Widecreen monitor.

Budget is £800 but may go over a little if its right.
Another thing to note is that i do not want a power hungry machine that is loud.
Main use will be Surfing, Autocad, Office work, and Plex Server duties.

Im guessing i need a new
- Motherboard
- CPU
- CPU Cooler
- GPU
- RAM
- PSU
- M.2 drive for Windows

Ideally want the system to see me out for 4/5yrs.

As always....many thanks inadvance.

Soldato
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £823.49 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

You can reuse your noctua cooler with this build saving money.

Owners of Noctua CPU coolers* can obtain the NM-AM4 Mounting-Kit free of charge via this link http://noctua.at/en/nm-am4-mounting-kit-order-form. A proof of purchase (electronic version, photo or scan of the invoice) of both a Noctua CPU cooler and either a socket AM4 mainboard or socket AM4 CPU are required.

Associate
Your current build sounds like it needs a clean and maybe some new thermal paste it should still handle 4k transcoding I think. If not then the above basket is a decent choice. 3700x price is about £50 over what it should be due to the CPU shortages right now otherwise reasonably balanced and priced build

Soldato
OP
Thank you guys. Looks like I got myself a build.

Just one question:

Is there anyway of speeding up data transfer of large files 10+GB from one HDD to another? All of my back up drives are SATA 7200rpm and I'm normally transfering from my SSD to HDD.

Is there anything I could buy or add that will speed up the data transfers?

Currently I get around 150mb/s but hoping with a new build I could make it quicker...

Soldato
Currently I get around 150mb/s

Somehow I doubt you're getting 150 millibits per second, so are you getting 150 Megabits per second or 150 MegaBytes per second? At a guess you are getting the latter and you have the SSD plugged into one of the SATA II ports and not a SATA III port. The latter are the two right-hand upright ports on the motherboard and are labelled 'SATA 6Gb/s'. You may also need to enable SATA III in the BIOS.

That PSU got a very good review by Johnnyguru so you might want to keep it if you're going for a low power GPU like the 1650 or 1660. Allegedly the RTX 3050 is being launched early next year.

Soldato
OP
Somehow I doubt you're getting 150 millibits per second, so are you getting 150 Megabits per second or 150 MegaBytes per second? At a guess you are getting the latter and you have the SSD plugged into one of the SATA II ports and not a SATA III port. The latter are the two right-hand upright ports on the motherboard and are labelled 'SATA 6Gb/s'. You may also need to enable SATA III in the BIOS.

That PSU got a very good review by Johnnyguru so you might want to keep it if you're going for a low power GPU like the 1650 or 1660. Allegedly the RTX 3050 is being launched early next year.

Hi,

My two SSD's are plugged into the 6gb sata connections on the motherboard.

My other HDDs are plugged into the regular sata connections.

I should have mentioned that I'm copying from SSD to regular 7200rpm HDDs. Transfer rate is around 150mb.

Soldato
Your restricted by the speed of the slowest item so its the 7200 rpm hard drives.

You would have to replace your old hard drives with ssd's.

Soldato
OP
Total: £823.49 (includes shipping: £11.10)

You can reuse your noctua cooler with this build saving money.

Owners of Noctua CPU coolers* can obtain the NM-AM4 Mounting-Kit free of charge via this link http://noctua.at/en/nm-am4-mounting-kit-order-form. A proof of purchase (electronic version, photo or scan of the invoice) of both a Noctua CPU cooler and either a socket AM4 mainboard or socket AM4 CPU are required.

I notice a lot of buzz around the Rizen 5 5600x.....is the Rizen 7 3700x the one to get?

Soldato
The 5600x is faster in nearly all senarios over the 3700x except when all 16 threads can be used and still sometimes faster even then.

The 5600x is £320 and would push your budget even more and I was trying to hit your £800 budget.

Soldato
I have no experience with autocad or plex so I cant give a firm answer there. I suppose the best answer would to buy the 5800x and have the ipc increase of the new ryzen 5 series and the extra threads of the 5800x over the 5600x.

They can be found for about £440 but thats half your budget just there!!

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Total: £545.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Trying to keep somewhere in yourt £800 ish budget.

Dont forget the mounting kit for your current noctua heatsink I posted earlier :)

You sir are a gentlemen!!!!

Is the motherboard ready or will i need to flash BIOS for it to recognise CPU?

I think as I will not be upgrading for 4/5yrs I can stretch to £1,200 for the budget. Might aswell load the system now so it can cope with many years to come.

Would you still reccomend the same for a £1,200 build?

Soldato
The board will be fine for the 5 series chip straight away. I would still update the bios straight away to the newest one when you have it for best performance/stability.

I would change is to a ryzen 7 5800X for about £440 for better longevity and a different non-matx board

Total: £160.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Soldato
OP
The board will be fine for the 5 series chip straight away. I would still update the bios straight away to the newest one when you have it for best performance/stability.

I would change is to a ryzen 7 5800X for about £440 for better longevity and a different non-matx board

Total: £160.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Thanks.

Worth going for some 32Gb RAM rather than 16gb?
3600mhz over 3200mhz?

Back
Top Bottom