HELP - Need to upgrade from my Laptop from old Acer aspire 5920g ??

Associate
Hi All

My old Acer Aspire 5920G (DON'T LAUGH!!) is getting unusable, it struggles with multiple chrome windows PLUS the fan is on contant making a noise if i open another program ( i am trying to use Ledger Live to trade BTC and other coins).

I am CLUELESS when it comes to laptops but i know mine is OLD (not sure how to get the specs)?

It has an 'Intel Centrino inside' sticker on it plus an 'ATI RADEON HD3470 Graphics 256) sticker on it and 4Gb ram??

It is unresponsive and getting to the point of unusable even for streaming videos!!

I only have one 2 tabs open and one program and the fan is FLAT OUT, 52 processes going, 78-86% cpu being used and 56% physical memory!!

Can anyone recommend an upgrade please.

I NEVER play games/gaming, mainly surf/social media and run odd program as well BUT it seems this is struggling now....

I'm not bothered about a disc drive all i want is something with more power and a big screen (14") to watch films/stream films..

I have looked on Ebay but it's a 'minefield' with choice!!!

I have a budget of around £300...

I did come across this but still unsure if its any good??

*** REMOVED COMPETITOR LINK ***

Hopefully want an i5 with 300Gb, 14" screen, looks mean nothing to me..lol

Anyone help me please....

Much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Welcome aboard.
Remember my first laptop having that Centrino sticker, branding which was dropped long time ago, so that's some very old...

For video watching you would want one with hardware video decoding if you want it to last longer.
H264 is definite must and should be easy to find, but newer codecs aren't found from that old CPUs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video#Hardware_decoding_and_encoding

And very old models often have crap resolution screen.

There might be some refurbished Kaby Lake CPU based Lenovo Ideapad 520s laptops for under that.
(one found was just with German keyboard)
Integrated GPU of that CPU would support hardware decoding of video codecs for good time.

HP Elitebook 840 G1/G2 models seem to be available also for under £300.
Those are enterprise models, so should last better than some old Pavilions.

Associate
OP
Cheers..

I have been doing some more research, yes this laptop in very old and i'm only using it as a stop gap (it been in my attic for years unused).....

I like a screen over 15" (current one is 15.42) so i think i will go with a 15.6" as newer models have MUCH slimmer bezels and thickness.

So i'm going to get an i5 8250u

*** REMOVED COMPETITOR LINK ***

with a 256ssd and 8Gb ram.

Just can't decide on what make? I have only ever had Acers. I don't like the right/left buttons built into the touchpad either but that's something i suppose i could easily get used too.

Looking at the bench mark tests/money is seems the best option @ £300 mark.

https://imgur.com/a/CqFavfo

Thanks for Welcome and replying, it is MUCH appreciated.

p.s...Where did my profile pic come from, i notice yours is from Soprano's, think i want to put Tony or Pauly Walnuts on mine...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom