Help needed - New SFF quiet build

Soldato
So I'm looking to upgrade my current system and also downsize it to ITX.

My uses are general browsing, 4k video and very ocassional gaming, last game I played was COD4 remaster single player. It needs to be silent on idle and have no RGB.

Current spec is
i5 6600k
MSI Z170A PC Mate
8Gb Corsair DDR4 3000
GTX 1060
Samsung 970 EVO Polaris 500GB M.2
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX
Super Flower SF-550F14MGA

So far I've been looking at this, inspired buy @LiE recent build.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £807.10 (includes shipping: £13.20)

I'm not sure if I need the motherboard, i want it to POST fast and I like that it has 3 x fan headers.

I'm not sure about the PSU, reviews say it can be noisy, I may look at the Corsair 600w.

I'm not sure about the cooler but I like the all black look.

I would also need 2 quiet black case fans.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
For fans ideally you’d want Noctua A12x25 but the black version isn’t available yet. The Noctua A12x15 is a great slim fan for bottom intake on that case.

Soldato
OP
For fans ideally you’d want Noctua A12x25 but the black version isn’t available yet. The Noctua A12x15 is a great slim fan for bottom intake on that case.

Thanks LiE, Noctua do some grey fans that aren’t bad too, I’m not a fan of their standard colour though.

I may look at Akasa Vipers as I’ve found them good in the past.

Soldato
OP
Any reason you want black if you’re not going for the tempered glass version?

I just like it to look neat when I do look inside. Even if I did have the window I wouldn’t see anyway as it will be under my desk on a shelf, my desk is too small to have it on top. I’m a bit OCD so I like to know that it looks good and tidy inside. Your build actually made decide on the case, it looks great. How tight is the cooler inside?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I just like it to look neat when I do look inside. Even if I did have the window I wouldn’t see anyway as it will be under my desk on a shelf, my desk is too small to have it on top. I’m a bit OCD so I like to know that it looks good and tidy inside. Your build actually made decide on the case, it looks great. How tight is the cooler inside?

Cooler fits well in the case, just put everything on the motherboard before you put it in the case including the power cables. Also make sure you have a long Philips screw driver for the top left motherboard mount.

I have just put a pre order in for a black Ncase M1 so build is going to being changing very soon :D I’ve been wanting to own one for a long time it’s a beautiful thing. Does mean I have to consider either an AIO or a Noctua C14S as the D15 won’t fit.

Soldato
OP
Cooler fits well in the case, just put everything on the motherboard before you put it in the case including the power cables. Also make sure you have a long Philips screw driver for the top left motherboard mount.

I have just put a pre order in for a black Ncase M1 so build is going to being changing very soon :D I’ve been wanting to own one for a long time it’s a beautiful thing. Does mean I have to consider either an AIO or a Noctua C14S as the D15 won’t fit.

Thanks. I'm also looking at the Be Quiet Dark Rock 4, looks nice too.

I looked at the Ncase but I have concerns over noise and dust.

I'm used to mid tower cases so this is a big change for me.

Soldato
OP

Thanks, think I'm going to go for Noctua.

Heres my final list

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £757.08 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Plus the Corsair SF600 Platinum that OcUK don't seem to sell.

Does it all look ok? One intake fan and one exhaust fan. I probably won't overclock much so think the cooler will be fine.

Soldato
Does it all look ok? One intake fan and one exhaust fan. I probably won't overclock much so think the cooler will be fine.

Looks great. Couple of minor observations: the TU150X can take larger 140mm CPU coolers (though nothing wrong with the U12S) and the paste Noctua includes is at least as good as MX-4.

Soldato
OP
Looks great. Couple of minor observations: the TU150X can take larger 140mm CPU coolers (though nothing wrong with the U12S) and the paste Noctua includes is at least as good as MX-4.

Thanks. I spent a long time looking at coolers, I was going to get the Dark Rock 4 but the Be Quiet site says it may have RAM clearance issues on the Motherboard, unless they mean for taller RAM. I would prefer the Noctua NH-U14 but it doesn't come in black.

@LiE Are you running custom PSU cables? If so which ones or did you mod them?

Soldato
Thanks. I spent a long time looking at coolers, I was going to get the Dark Rock 4 but the Be Quiet site says it may have RAM clearance issues on the Motherboard, unless they mean for taller RAM.

Yes. Interestingly the larger Dark Rock Pro 4 is more compatible with the first DIMM slot than Dark Rock 4, in conjunction with using low profile RAM like the Vengeance. Because the Dark Pro 4 has a 120mm at the front whereas the Dark Rock 4 has a 135mm. The shape's a little different too.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yes. Interestingly the larger Dark Rock Pro 4 is more compatible with the first DIMM slot than Dark Rock 4, in conjunction with using low profile RAM like the Vengeance. Because the Dark Pro 4 has a 120mm at the front whereas the Dark Rock 4 has a 135mm. The shape's a little different too.

I did weigh up the Dark Pro 4, but think it will be a little overkill. I also looked at the slim version. I think I will be happy with the Noctua and all round Noctua fans. I'm going to order today.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Thanks. I spent a long time looking at coolers, I was going to get the Dark Rock 4 but the Be Quiet site says it may have RAM clearance issues on the Motherboard, unless they mean for taller RAM. I would prefer the Noctua NH-U14 but it doesn't come in black.

@LiE Are you running custom PSU cables? If so which ones or did you mod them?

Phanteks extensions, you’ll need them with the SF600/750 as the cables are small, designed for smaller cases.

Back
Top Bottom