Hi all,

I would be very grateful for any help you can offer. My setup is as follows:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z7170-HD3P
Processor: Core i5 7600K
Memory: g Skill DDR4
Graphics: Zotac GTX1070 AMP! Extreme
Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212
Bios version: F21

I am new to overclocking a have tried to overclock the processor using Gigabytes Easytune utility and also in the bios.

My problem is that I am unable to select any CPU clock multiplier higher than 42x (the default is 38x). There is simply no option offered to go higher than that and the sliders are maxed on Easytune at that level. Also, from videos I have watched, and Gigabyte's overclocking guide, there should be an auto-overclock option in the bios. That option is missing in my bios (all other options are there). All my temps are fine, everything works with no crashes but I am unable to meaningfully overclock the CPU. It just won't let me select anything higher than 42x. I can adjust BCLK in the bios but would prefer not to go this route. I have searched and have never seen anyone else with this problem - do I just have a dud CPU?

Many thanks in advance.

Matt

Associate
I wouldn't be using a utility on the desktop and also overclocking in bios as they could be conflicting, I'd uninstall the easytune and then retry in bios ,

Associate
OP
Many thanks for your reply. I have tried this and no luck - I have tried uninstalling any overclocking utilities in Windows and resetting the bios to default but no change. 42x is the max I can select for any of the cores in bios, easytune and the Intel extreme utility. Very strange.

Associate
OP
Update to this - I have tried a few more things to resolve the issue with no success:

Things I have tried:

Updating bios to f22a
Reflashing bios
Clearing CMOS
Uninstalling tuning utilities in Windows and using bios overclock only

Associate
OP
Further update. I now think that the Z170 board is not detecting the chip as a K series unlocked chip and that is why some options are missing from the bios and the max overclock is 42x (which is the turbo level in any case). The processor is recognised fine in Windows. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to get the board to recognise the chip correctly? I have now flashed the bios 3 times and cleared the cmos twice.

Many thanks again,

Matt

Caporegime
might be better off with a z270 board although it shouldn't be needed i you have updated BIOS. also stock will boost to around 4.2GHZ anyway are you sure your changing the right settings in BIOS? sounds like your in the wrong section.

Associate
OP
Thanks - yes I'm sure they're the right settings in the bios. I followed Gigabyte's overclocking bios guide. What's strange is that all the auto-overclocking options that should be in the bios are missing, which is what makes me think that the chip isn't recognised correctly. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them as this seems like a really unusual problem based on the searches I have done.

Caporegime
it sounds like you may have flashed the wrong BIOS or it's a dodgy board or you're not in the right section.

a lot of boards have similar names with only 1 letter to differentiate between them.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply. I'm 100% sure I flashed the correct bios - it has the precise name of the board listed.

I suppose it could be a dodgy board but it's over one year old so no chance of a replacement on warranty.

I'd still love to hear any other suggestions!

Soldato
On my board on the main screen on the bios there's a section that displays your chip and memory type, does it display the right chip?

Associate
CPu-z will show the CPU-id. I have the same problem on a msi z68ma and i5-2500k , recognized correctly , but no way to overclock via BIOs v20.1 (2013) . I am sure that I could overclock at one time, then updated the bios and pffft .. option gone!

Back
Top Bottom