Help needed with a PC Build idea Ableton and VR Gaming OC Quest 2

Associate
Hi all, its been quite some time since I delved into building a new PC. Used to be really clued up but totally out of touch these days.

My old PC died quite a few years back and went to the dark side for music, but things have finally started to fail due to Music Plugins killing the CPU.

Initially the new build is for Ableton (music), but plan on some play time with the Oculus Quest 2 and VR etc.

Managed to bag a 3070 already, which was a major stress/starting point, the problem I'm having is deciding to go with AMD or go with the old Intel tried and tested route. Also can't decide on a case, as I need it to be as quiet as possible due to the music production.

Been offered a deal on a Ryzen 9 5900X and a ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming, for the MSRP, but not sure which way to go still.

Could anybody help me out ? Looked at the Corsair Black ICue 4000x and Corsair 240mm H100i, both have good reviews but wondering if the Be Quiet range is still quiet these days (like the Pure Base 500) :D

Currently got a budget of £1500 for everything (fans/power/32GB memory etc too), quite capable of doing it all myself as things look so much easier to put together than they used too. Only problem, I'd like to do it this week....waiting for the laughs...

What's the crack with the memory too, it appears that you can't just plonk anything in now and most people seem to recommend Corsair 3200 DDR Vengeance ?

Cheers (I hope)

Soldato
Pure base 600 looks goods and has sound dampning as standard. 1 extra top fan for cooling and that can then be controlled by the inbuilt fan controller (3 max (or buy 2 fans and a fan pin splitter cable))
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £102.18 (includes shipping: £11.70)

A 5900x and the strix f will be a good combo with plenty of threads and high core speeds.
A 1tb + size m.2 driver like the wb blue
Total: £108.65 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Nothing wrong with corsair vengence. With a 5 series ryzen you can go 2*16 or 4*8 gig for your ram as the 5 series seems to like all 4 slots filled.
Total: £347.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)

If your going to use 4 sticks of ram though you wilkl ned a cooler with good ram clearence like

Total: £51.65 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Your also going to need a 750+ watt psu but almost everything above 800W are out of stock on OCUK.

Total: £115.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Forgive the pointless rgb but its a good psu and in stock.

Hope this helps.

Soldato
They are both top end coolers and probably outperform the brocken by a few degrees. I mainly recommended the brocken if your goiing to use 4 sticks of ram as the other 2 can hand over the ram because of there sheer size.

Associate
OP
Cheers @dfour ... got messed about with the motherboard and processor in the end plus found out the software doesn't really need more than 8 cores max (which is quite rare still).

Now considering the Ryzen 7 5800x and the following to go with the case and memory -

Total: £472.51 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Could do with a nice wireless keyboard and mouse too hahahha

Just noticed that motherboard says "*Not compatible with AMD Ryzen™ 5 " :(

The thing that's bugging me is I need lot's of USB ports too, I'm sure I've seen one with lots by MSI but can't find it now...

Last edited:
Soldato
AMD AM4 Socket 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Processors
*Not compatible with AMD Ryzen™ 5 3400G and Ryzen™ 3 3200G

You have to read it all :p

Total: £196.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Not a fan of arctic silver. Used it 20 years ago but its been surpassed by better and non-conductive thermal pastes.

Keyboard and mouse sorted

Total: £328.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

When they ccome back in stock like everythig else.

Associate
OP
@dfour many thanks for the help, I went a bit over the top in the end partly due to stock issues and partly because I could hahaha

This is what I ended up with along with the 3070 Vision and a few of these items from other places. Bios was a pain with the 3600 Memory, after numerous updates I ended up clocking it down to 3200 to keep it stable in DOCP(XMP), just wouldn't run right.

Got a 3080 on order too, but may hold out and see what comes along next month (had offers on the 3070 when done with it).

The thing is mega quiet (added another fan) and rips through everything I throw at it.

Hopefully should last a fair few years now.

Total: £1,805.60 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom