Help, New Car purchasing tips

Associate
Hello,

Just looking for some realistic haggling tips to give me a bit of confidence when going in to purchase a new car.

I know all the pitfalls of getting a new car, but thats the route im going as I can get 4000£ in scrappage for my current vehicle.

Basically the car im looking at is 21695£ plus another 550£ for the paint upgrade. It is/will be the latest version of the Mazda CX-3 which is due for release for the September registration.

With the scrappage scheme im sort of tied into a no dealer deposit situation which I understand, but im still getting more value out of my vehicle as it comes in at 1600£ trade in price.

Anyway im looking at the PCP deal and essentially im being offered 4000£ off list, then the balance being spread over a 4.9% APR offer for 60 months, with a lump at the end of it. I understand what I will be getting into.

So what I need to know is:

Is there less wiggle room as they are doing a scrappage deal?
Because the car will be new, are the prices set in stone more than used/new cars that have been released longer?
If for example he comes in at 300£ per month, if I went back and said I dont want to spend more than say 240£ per month, is that a realistic counter and could a deal be made at that level? (figures quoted are for example rather than how things are)

The more help the better, there are no additional upgrades to be had on the car, it is the top tier Sport Nav (not the GT sport thats a different model), so the only extra im having is black paint.

Id just like to feel im getting a good deal and not agreeing to something that I will regret.

Thanks,

Soldato
When i bought my wifes new Fiesta was go on carwow and other car discount sites . Specced the car i wanted . Got the cheapest quote then went to my local dealer who then matched it . Im not saying every dealr will do it .. but it gives you wiggle room . and on a pcp/finance plan you tend to be able to haggle more

Commissario
With finance, dealers are very "clever" at adjusting the figures to fit your monthly payment target. It could be reducing the annual mileage limit or, most commonly, adjusting the GFV payment at the end.
Be aware of going down this route and do your sums, it could work out more expensive if you plan to keep the car at the end of the 60 months. And on that, 60 months is a long time to finance a car for - even if you got the monthlies down to £240 that's still £14,400 you're paying over 5 years, at which point you still won't own the car...

Man of Honour
Get carwow quotes, both for price and finance. Scrappage is usually as an alternative to other offers such as finance contribution, but it doesn't mean that Scrappage is always the cheapest.

Depending on the car and availability, discounts vary significantly, but having some figures from other dealers helps you know what is sensible to ask for and what isn't.

Associate
There is always wiggle room in car prices, they decided to discount the car or offer more for the scrappage/trade in just depends on dealer

Soldato
I looked at a few of the scrappage schemes this time last year when they came out, almost every dealer i spoke to couldn't match the kind of deals i was finding on sites like broadspeed or carwow without any trade in..

Long and sort of it is they're not stupid and they're not really giving you any more discount that you'd otherwise be getting it's just dressed up in a different way.

Go with the best deal you can find even if that means selling your current car to webuyanycar for £800 and not trading it in under any 'scheme'

Associate
Got 9% of list (thanks to going into my local dealer with some CarWow quote in hand) plus £4000 scrappage when I bought a new Audi last year. Another less local dealer I'd spoken to before hand was offering the same. Definitely deals to be had out there.

Edit: This was an outright purchase so if your taking dealer finance you might be able to do better given how low base rates are. Manufacturers finance arms must be borrowing at peanuts.

Soldato
Carwow, DtD, Broadspeed etc. Mate just bought a Golf R, he was happy paying the 'best deal' from the dealer, i printed him out prices from Broadspeed. His best deal was around £32k with a couple of options, simply by going in prepared with the Broadspeed printout he paid approx. £27k.

He hasnt even bought me a beer that tight sod! :D

Soldato
Definitely consider carwow as first port of call. There are no catches or costs to it. It's a quick way to get the baseline before you go via brokers.

Also, Mazda don't seem to work out that favourably on PCP due to their systems residual calculations. They also dont offer great discounts normally. This means you can often PCP a premium brand for the same or less.

Also low interest or interest free options plus dealer/group incentives are stronger with Audi, Mercedes and BMW.

For example you can lease / PCP an E Class or 5 Series cheaper than a Mazda 6 for this very reason.

CX-3 is nice enough though and I like Mazda.

Check out Romford Mazda as they always came out best for deals for me by some margin.

Caporegime
your current car is worth £1600.

so you think the best thing to do is buy/lease/rent a brand new £30K car.

why don't you just take out a loan for £8K over 2-3 years on ZOPA and buy a £10K car?

Soldato
What's wrong with the current car and what car is it?

Also, throwing away your car to borrow a new car over 5yrs whilst it depreciates like a stone isn't great.

For a £22k car with your £4k scrap deposit leaving £18k to finance, plugged into a calculator over 5yrs at £300pcm you'll be left to pay about £3k at the end to own the car. Total interest over this period is about £2.8k.

Why not just grab a low rate loan over a few years and buy a slightly older CX3. It's a CX3 not an Aston so is just white goods anyway :p

Associate
OP
That Carwow certainly opens your eyes to whats out there!

Just off the bat they are coming in 2000 cheaper, im sure there are catches, but still. Im even now looking at the GT sport model as its coming in line with the price im looking to spend :D

What's wrong with the current car and what car is it?

Also, throwing away your car to borrow a new car over 5yrs whilst it depreciates like a stone isn't great.

For a £22k car with your £4k scrap deposit leaving £18k to finance, plugged into a calculator over 5yrs at £300pcm you'll be left to pay about £3k at the end to own the car. Total interest over this period is about £2.8k.

Why not just grab a low rate loan over a few years and buy a slightly older CX3. It's a CX3 not an Aston so is just white goods anyway :p

Current car is an 09 plate, big old 7 seat diesel that I just dont need (in terms of size etc). Services are done via my mate so are not stamped (he is a mechanic, but he does it privately etc). Plus theres other work that needs doing that im not willing to spend on to get the price up.

I want something new as a treat :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
That Carwow certainly opens your eyes to whats out there!

Just off the bat they are coming in 2000 cheaper, im sure there are catches, but still. Im even now looking at the GT sport model as its coming in line with the price im looking to spend :D

No catches.

Dealing with the various brands it was the fleet/business managers dealing with queries so arms length from the retail floor. They still offer the same incentives and APRs if not better and it's still a personal sale.

Associate
OP
No catches.

Dealing with the various brands it was the fleet/business managers dealing with queries so arms length from the retail floor. They still offer the same incentives and APRs if not better and it's still a personal sale.

Thanks, im going to see what I can get offered through carwow, then go to my local dealer and see if he can be competitive.

The one hitch in all this is that Mazda are bringing out the 2018 trim in this model, where as all the prices im getting are for the current trim. I believe the new one has a all round camera!! Gadgets :D

Associate
OP
this broadspeed website legit?

as in the price is what id pay if i went there? i just dont get how its that much cheaper... 19966 before any trade in or scrapage... so id be looking at 16 grand for the gt sport model based on that :D

Man of Honour
Yes, its legit.

It's cheaper because list prices are horribly inflated and used to get plenty of money out of those who don't really seem to notice anything but the monthly figure.

Soldato
this broadspeed website legit?

as in the price is what id pay if i went there? i just dont get how its that much cheaper... 19966 before any trade in or scrapage... so id be looking at 16 grand for the gt sport model based on that :D

Yes it's legit, but there's no guarantee the dealer will also offer the scrappage scheme. Most examples I've seen the scrappage scheme is excluded when getting to the rock bottom price.
Dealers just dress up deals in different ways to maximise profit. They are only paying you over the odds for your car because they are absorbing it in the purchase price.

They will probably use the below to get out of the scrappage scheme:

https://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/mazda-scrappage-incentive/

Are there any Mazda models not available on the Mazda Scrappage Upgrade Plan?

Mazda MX-5 is excluded from the scheme as well as all Mazda CX-3 and Mazda CX-5 petrol models and all other Mazda models above 135g/km CO2 emissions

Back
Top Bottom