Help! new pc build, I think it might be broken

Associate
Potential DOA motherboard, I've built rigs before and never had any issues but I'm open to suggestions! when I turn on the power, the rear case fan starts and the AIO cooler fan starts, the other case fan which is plugged into a case fan header does not spin.

The ram RGB lights up, the gpu lights up and fans spin, the AIO cooler pump lights up, the mobo RGB's light up, but that's all that happens, there's no display output and despite attaching the little speaker widget I get no beeps from the motherboard at all, I tried swapping ram sticks around and ram slots, no luck - same deal.

I also tried the onboard graphics to see if I could get some display, and nothing.

I do have the cpu 8 pin and the 24pin plugged into the mobo.

Any ideas?

Edit: Forgot to add system specs in my panic/sadness :(

600k,
1070Ti,
Seasonic 650w PSU,
Asus Prime Z370-A,
3000Mhz Nighthawk ram 16gb
NZXT X42 AIO

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm open to suggestions!

Here's one: post system specs.

Here's another: loosen the AIO mounting screws just a little. Also try building outside the case with minimal stuff connected, no drives or USB sticks etc just mouse, keyboard and display. Furthermore check CPU socket for bent pins, and the CPU itself for any dust or thermal paste specks (this can also prevent a display/cause other issues).

Associate
OP
Here's one: post system specs.

Here's another: loosen the AIO mounting screws just a little. Also try building outside the case with minimal stuff connected, no drives or USB sticks etc just mouse, keyboard and display. Furthermore check CPU socket for bent pins, and the CPU itself for any dust or thermal paste specks (this can also prevent a display/cause other issues).

You're right! sorry for making such a bad initial post, I am pretty emotional right now (as I sit staring at my £1550 paperweight) as you can probably imagine and not necessarily thinking straight.

Vitals:

8600k,
1070Ti,
Seasonic 650w PSU,
Asus Prime Z370-A,
NZXT X42 AIO

I'll have a check for the stuff you mentioned, but even if it was a worst case scenario of bent pins, broken ram, dodgy cpu, you'd still expect the Mobo to beep or show some info on the LED's I think, or? please correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks and kind regards,

Soldato
You're right! sorry for making such a bad initial post, I am pretty emotional right now (as I sit staring at my £1550 paperweight) as you can probably imagine and not necessarily thinking straight.

I hear you. No need to panic as these things happen to everyone at some point (I had to return two kits of memory which were faulty out of the box) so just have to be patient and you'll get it going somehow or other. If it turns out to be an actual hardware problem, your best bet is to return for refund ASAP, do not choose RMA repair.

Vitals:

8600k,
1070Ti,
Seasonic 650w PSU,
Asus Prime Z370-A,
NZXT X42 AIO

I'll have a check for the stuff you mentioned, but even if it was a worst case scenario of bent pins, broken ram, dodgy cpu, you'd still expect the Mobo to beep or show some info on the LED's I think, or? please correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks and kind regards,

No worries.

As far as I know, mobo error LEDs do not have 100% coverage of all errors possible, only some, the more common ones. I'd imagine that's being improved as time goes by. However, there may be no actual hardware error, or it could be the RAM that's just dodgy not broken, in which case mobo LEDs wouldn't show you that, you'd just experience strange stuff and eventually crashes even when idling etc. CPU would be more rare even if not impossible.

If you could borrow some DDR4 off a friend that would be great to rule out memory.

Soldato
Oh, can you confirm you unseated the GTX 1070Ti from its slot before testing the onboard graphics? Note that on some motherboards sometimes you have to wait 20-30 seconds for onboard to kick in the first time after changing it from discrete.

Associate
Are you 100% positive everything is seated correctly? Also you've used the stand offs in your case?

Obviously there is a chance it could be faulty hardware, however sometimes it ends up being user error somewhere (not trying to be patronising). Hopefully you've just done something wrong as opposed to having a part that's faulty/doa.

Also you mention swapping ram sticks, however have you tried with just one stick?

I'd probably do as suggested and boot with minimal components, remove the gpu, use one ram stick and have nothing else connected but keyboard and mouse.

The most frustrating thing in these instances is not many people have the luxury of having spare parts to rule out components.

Anyway if after trying to boot with minimal components connected you get no luck, then I'd check the cpu socket for bent pins, although I assume you checked that initially before installing the cpu?

If it turns out to be an actual hardware problem, your best bet is to return for refund ASAP, do not choose RMA repair.

And 100% this. Doing an RMA with the manufacturer would be madness, it's the retailers responsibility at this point.

Last edited:
Soldato
Take the motherboard out of the case and sit it on the box in which it came - NOT on the anti-static bag - and see if it will fire up. Also try having no RAM installed - you should get a long beep then two beeps.

Associate
OP
Ok guys, it turns out i am (thankfully) just an idiot, i'd loosened a connection between a braided extension and the psu for the 8 pin behind the back of the case whilst doing some cable management, posts fine now and i can see the bios!

Thanks a lot for the help everyone! greatly appreciated.

Associate
OP
PS whilst I have everyone's attention, I do have a question about RGB headers (this is my first build since they became a thing) - How TF do I connect multiple stuff to one header and make it all work? I have one RGB header on my Mobo, currently I have one Cooler master aura sync fan plugged into it, but I also have an SSD RGB Light attachment, an LED strip and another case fan - Also I noticed when I plug the strip directly into the header nothing happens (it doesn't turn on at all). I tried googling it and people are mostly talking about using NZXT hue etc but I want it to work with aura sync!

What to do?!?!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom