Help please - compatability issue, missed something, or broken?

Associate
Hi, I've built a couple of pcs from scratch but am nowhere near an expert and on my recent attempt to upgrade motherboard, processor and RAM with purchases from Overclockers my pc wouldn't boot. I've always had Intel before but chose AMD this time.

I'm hoping someone can figure out if I've made a mistake with the compatability of the parts, and if not then help try and figure out what is wrong/broken.

The issue: I installed all the new components and the EZDebug first showed a white LED on the processor. I took it apart and 'repositioned' the processer. Then the EZdebug moved on OK to DRAM where it got stuck on a white LED, I took out one stick and just kept one stick in slot 2 and this meant the EZDebug now progressed though CPU, GPU and DRAM, lighting on and off various lights but all three going off until it gets to boot where it gets stuck on a white LED for maybe 20 seconds before powering down. There is no signal to the monitor during this time. I'm connecting via HDMI cable from the GPU.

Here's what I bought:

MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Processor
Corsair 2 x 8GB 3600Mhz Rzen Tuned DDR4 Memory

Q1: Have I made a mistake here, are these all compatible?

Q2. Am I right that there are no onboard graphics on the motherboard (I'd mistakenly assumed there would be, but notice it says 'discrete GPU required' on the box)

I was hoping to use my existing GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 970; but whilst the EZDebug passes thorugh GPU ok, there's no signal on the monitor at any time.

Q3. Is this graphics card compatible with the above purchases?

I took out the new components and rebuilt my old setup which all works fine (the GPU, harddrives and power supply (800w))

So I'm wondering:

1) Should these parts work together, is it a compatability thing?
2) Do I need to flush the BIOS (I haven't touched this button on the motherboard)
3) Have I perhaps broken the processor or motherboard, or both, on installation? The motherboard seems to light up fine, all fans run, power button works ok
4) If EZDbug sticks on a white LED for boot, does that mean the other bits are ok, but it is looking for something else that is wrong for the boot. Should it still boot up to a bios screen if I don't connect any drives?

NB. I don't have spare parts to swap in and out to test.

Any help appreciated.

Soldato
The X570 chipset supports Ryzen 3rd generation, and the 3600 is 3rd generation, so there should not be any problems with compatibility.

Historically, AMD memory support isn't as great as Intel, but there are multiple entries on the MSI web site for Corsair memory sticks, do you know what model your memory is? You can check on the MSI web site for compatibility.

The 3600 doesn't have an onboard video capability, so you will need a separate video card, or an alternative CPU with onboard video on it.

If it is powering down, after getting that far, I would suspect there is a loose PSU cable, or an earthing problem where the motherboard and case are mounted, it's also worth just checking everything is seated properly and all power/fan wires are in properly, in case one has come loose. I tend to use a nearby radiator when I'm messing inside a computer to earth myself, to avoid static discharge.

Associate
OP
@Gamefreak501 the memory is corsair vengeance lpx black, I've checked the model number CMK16GX4M2Z3600C18 for the tomahawk wifi motherboard on MSI and it seems to be on the list.

@tonys I'm connecting by HDMI from the GPU to the monitor

Before I ordered the stuff I checked online to see if I could find anything to suggest my gpu wouldn't be supported and couldn't. Would you say that I could be reasonably confident that I am right to think I can use it ok in this build?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I might turn the upgrade into a new build, I would like a full tower case and modular PSU. I f I do a new build then I can put these components in and not risk messing up my loyal, working pc pulling the mother board in and out.

My plan always was to build an 'office' pc around the old motherboard/PCU etc. so maybe I'll be better off using it as an excuse to get a funky new case and psu as a new build.

Associate
I agree with what Gamefreak said. I would try to clear the cmos, building it outside of the case with bare minimum of components. In cases like this it's usually a bit of trek to find out what the problem is if you have no way of swapping out your components to test them. Can you get a family member or friend who has a similar setup to test parts if it comes to it?

Associate
OP
@tonys Clearing the cmos, that is taking out and and putting back the battery on the motherboard is that right?

Yeah, unfortunately I'm on my own with regards to PC things.

Thanks for the advice, I will persevere.

Associate
Yes. Good luck with it, I was going through my old stuff and tried to get a Phenom cpu system going a few weeks back. The gpu would work on the athlon cpu and board(AM2) but wouldn't on AM2+ board. In the end tried with a newer psu and it started working so I've been there.

Soldato
Let us know how it goes - I had an earthing problem on my computer and it was a right pita to resolve, the issue ended up being a bad power switch to motherboard header cable and a dodgy PSU modular cable which I swapped out, but prior to this, I did take the motherboard out, unscrewed it off the tray and remounted it back on the tray and in the case!

Associate
OP
Well. I got it all working.

I bought the case i had my eye on from overclockers, but then had to get the PSU I wanted from Am**** as overclockers were out of stock (this actually meant I could get the slightly more powerful one Corsair 850RX instead of 750). Anyway this meant I could build anew in the new case, andin a wrost cas escenarop, be a snazzy box to store the bits in if it took me forever to get it working.

I'm not sure exactly what was the issue but things I did on this build were:

- the new case, a full Corsair airflow tower, doubt this had any impact, just lovely to have a bit more space
- A new PSU, my other was quite old, although intially was a Corsair 800W (ignoring any of the efficiency stuff) so not the worst I don't think.
- Now this next part may have been plain stupid, but I seem to have got away with it or perhaps it was my issue: I looked at the processor under a magnifying glass and figured 3 pins on one corner were slightly bent over, I nudged/squeezed these straight using tweezers and the magnifying glass to see what I was doing.
- Having cleaned the processor and heatsink previously (when I took my upgrades out of my failed build to get my oldparts back together to have a working machine) I now rejoined the cpu/heatsink combo with new paste and then installed on the new motherboard.
- I took out and returned the battery on the motherboard
- put my one stick of RAM in (for now)
- grabbed my GPU out my other machine and installed it

Then gave it a try (obvs having put all cables together, I now just love modular PSUs, first one ever).

To my delight my monitor lit up and I could see a message about CMOS :D

I powered down, went and installed my hard drives etc. and went again, this time windows started up! After the usual fiddling and tidying I now have a working machine with the new motherboard/CPU/RAM!

I think I need to look into getting the RAM to be at a higher mHz as it is showing 2600 currently when I think when it can be higher, but I'll have a look up on that.

So I figure, it was:

- The bent pins

or

- Simply the CMOS (as was suggested)

or

- Simply some cable I hadn't quite puished in right on my first attempt (as was suggested)

Whatever the cause, I'm very happy to be up and running again, and whilst I don't expect massive improvements on my game performances I have the option of overclocking in future and I now meet the minimum specs for Flight sim 2020*

Thanks for the answers on this thread, they gave me some mental support and encouragement when I had felt pretty defeated when my first build failed.

* having spent so much I probably won't get it till next Christmas now though!

Back
Top Bottom