• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

(Help Req.) How Much to Spend - FPS on Best Settings

Associate
Hi all

I have to get rid of my GC soon (about 4 years old now), but I am unsure as to what to go for.

I'd like to get something that can play Skyrim / Battlefield 3, stuff like that, on high settings. I only use one monitor (not a three screen set-up).

I have a few ideas but it is easy to keep going to the next more expensive one and spend a fortune. So I'd like a few ideas on where to start.

Example: I like the 660 / 660Ti, but would a 650Ti do the above and save me about £80?

Best regards

Last edited:
Soldato
650Ti won't do much at all. The minimum would be a GTX660 or a HD7850 from AMD. Either should handle high settings (without AA) at stock speeds. You'll need to overclock both to get better smoothness as it'll still be a bit choppy.

With your budget (assuming around £150) you'll pretty much have to sacrifice MSAA for smooth gameplay no matter what you choose. Skyrim will be OK because it's less intense but BF3 will require AA to be dropped.

Associate
OP
Cheers

650Ti won't do much at all. The minimum would be a GTX660 or a HD7850 from AMD. Either should handle high settings (without AA) at stock speeds. You'll need to overclock both to get better smoothness as it'll still be a bit choppy.

With your budget (assuming around £150) you'll pretty much have to sacrifice MSAA for smooth gameplay no matter what you choose. Skyrim will be OK because it's less intense but BF3 will require AA to be dropped.

My budget is £200 so I could go to a 7890, or 7950 (with a push). The NVIDIA cards get really quick really quickly.

Can I enable AA with these?

Is AA that important? It sounds like it is.

Best

Soldato
AA isn't all that, if you're playing at 1920x1080+ AA isn't really required (imo)
£200 i personally would push for a 7950. With that, overclocked it will play most games maxed.

Associate
Assuming you're at less than 1200p on your one monitor then a 660 (non-Ti version) would be just fine. You will be able to max out Skyrim and BF3 with that. That said if you can find a good deal on a 7950 I'd go for that because it's a really good card and overclocks well.

Back
Top Bottom