Help required getting USB ports working!

Associate
I purchased several items from OC UK in March 2005, one of which was a motherboard (MB-018-MS MSI 865PE Neo2-PFS Platinum (Socket 478) Motherboard). From when I installed it in April 2005 until 2 Sept 2006 I have had no problems

Since then all the USB ports no longer work. They all have power and the system thinks that they are all installed but when you plug any device into them the system does not respond with the expected installation popup. It is as if you have not plugged anything in.

I am running Win XP Pro SP2 which does not require me to search for the drivers as they get installed automatically.

I have uninstalled the USB drivers and allowed the system to reinstall them on reboot. I have downloaded other drivers and installed them but in each case although everything looks ok in Device Manager, they do not work.

I installed a USB PCI card to check the system and when I plugged my USB device into it the system told me that it was 1.1 and that I had 8 x 2.0 ports which would allow my device to work better.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can get the USB devices working again? Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks

Associate
I would try a fresh install of xp and then try a usb device that u know works. If you still dont come right then your southbridge is probably faulty. Check how hot it is. If you dont want to relace the motherboard get a usb pci card and a usb 4 port hub.

Associate
OP
Thanks, already re-installed XP but it did not resolve the problem. I guess I'll have to stick with the PCI card as everything else is still working properly.

Associate
OP
Not sure which reading the southbridge is but the temps are as follows:
case - 41ºC
CPU - 39ºC
Sensor 3 - 0ºC
This is the reading from Motherboard Monitor 5.

Associate
Okay .......

Try and disable the power managment thingy for the USB controller in the device manager .... hang on I'll have a look.

Its called "Allow computer to turn off device to save power" its a check box ... disable it for all your "USB Root Hub" devices that are not working and see if that makes a difference.

As for BIOS settings have you updated your bios recently or changed some settings???? There are things like enable/disable USB legacy support etc.

There could be an issue (I don't understand it!) with ACPI (some sort of power managment???) clashing with a USB IRQ slot. Some Linux users have issues with IRQ 7 clashing. They ressolve it by reserving IRQ 7. This paragraph is speculative and could probably be rubbish!!! Though it may point you in the right direction.

I would not personally spend too long trying to ressolve this as a fresh windows install with all updates and latest chipset drivers should result in a working motherboard especially if all worked fine before.

You could try a bios update for the mobo and checking the support forums on the MSI website. Failing that I would say that the motherboard is faulty and you should RMA it.

Jules

Associate
Try enable/disable plug and play in the bios? Also try reseting the bios by reloading default settings (SAVE YOUR ORIGINAL BIOS SETTINGS).

If all else fails you can reset the CMOS via either a clear RTC(I think) jumper (see manual). Or simply take out the battery and leave it a while b4 putting it back in.

Doing all the above is probably doing more than most people would b4 sending the mobo back!

As for Southbridge I shall leave it to wizard to advise. Not something I am familiar with.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the support guys! Ok, I have done the following. I have:

Reset the BIOS (Checked the MSI website and the latest bios is 2003/09/04). I may already be using the latest settings. I had not downloaded any updates since I installed it 10 months ago.
Disabled 'Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power' (think I had already tried that one in the beginning)
Fresh install of XP SP2

None of these have worked and since I have now had the board for 18 months I don't think it is still under warranty but I could see what OC say.

Associate
OP
MSI 865PE Neo2-PFS Platinum (Socket 478) Motherboard (MB-018-MS)
Corsair 512MB DDR Value Select PC3200 CAS3.0 (VS512MB400C3) (MY-064-CS)
Intel Pentium 4 "Prescott" 3.0GHz (800FSB) with HT Technology - Retail (CP-046-IN)
Asus A9250/TD ATI Radeon 9250 128MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-062-AS)

Associate
OP
When I did that it said to me:
"What did you do that for? I promise I will behave myself from now on. But as punishment I will never allow you to use the USB onboard ports again. So let that be a lesson to you."

I had to promise never to do that again. :p

Associate
OP
Well, I still like everything else that works so perhaps I will stick with it a bit longer. Who knows, for Christmas I might treat myself to a new one and see what is available then.

Associate
Sorry to hear you got nowhere!!! As for a new mobo I would personally not bother unless you see a cheap one on fleabay or on special/clearance (check overclockers clearance section). Can you live without the USB ports till xmas??? If not I would sell off your existing kit and buy a basic 6300 conroe system. This of course is subject to your needs and financial situation. If you are more or less happy with your computing performance then replace the mobo. I would double check the warranty situation as some components do have a 3yr warranty.

Back
Top Bottom