• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HELP! - Ryzen 5800x/Windows 11 very high idle/browsing temps.. 70c!?

Associate
Since upgrading to Windows 11 especially, I've noticed the CPU temps are just rediculously high all the time, even idle, its constantly around 70c with spikes to 80c, its the same on my Desktop PC, and my Razer laptop

On Windows 10 temps would generally be around 45-45c idle/browsing which for Liquid Cooling is still pretty high... but now they are constantly 70c+

which means fans are always going off at a high speed & there's no way to stop it,

In task manager CPU usage is normal with nothing standing out using up the CPU

fok9cDt.png

These are what my temps are like just browsing on chrome etc, it fluctuates from like 65c - 75c all the time,

I tried closing everything, all non essential programs etc and it still sits on those temps, just not sure why.

My desktop has a 5800x cpu, RTX3090 gpu, 32GB ram etc, and its a Corsair 460x case,

I have 6 QL RGB Corsair fans installed, 3 intake, including the AIO h100i mounted on the front, then3 exhaust, 2 top and 1 back. This is the current situation and fan placement

fLenPUl.png

Why is Windows 11 so screwed up with temps!?

When gaming, on Warzone, Vanguard etc, the CPU temps look normal, around 70-80c

It's just when I'm not gaming, it should be at least 30-45c especially.

I know with AIO mounting, you should have the tubes on the bottom in a front mount, or have it top mounted, but space is tight, which is why i moved from top to front configuration in the first place, as front mount did lower CPU temps anyway

Any ideas?

Soldato
Have you check task manager? Because core temp is showing significant load on the cores at "idle" so something is chewing up your cpu

Associate
OP
Have you check task manager? Because core temp is showing significant load on the cores at "idle" so something is chewing up your cpu

Hi!

yes task manager is fine, nothing is using the CPU really or hogging it,

It just seems to constantly boost when it doesn't need too and reguarly jumps up to like 4.8ghz

a5uiORt.png

On power settings, I set Maximum Processor state to 99% instead of 100% and it stops the boosting immediately, and temps dropped to around 48c

iIxi9lm.png #

Could it be PBO2 causing the temp issues, is there a way to stop it constantly boosting all the time when it doesn't need too??

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Looking at your screenshots, you have at least 4 processes using up CPU cycles, and the way these CPU work, when there is a light load on them, (such as you can see in task manager) they'll boost as high as they can go, which generally means up to 1.5v when the load is light on just a few cores.

It's actually normal behavior.

Associate
OP
Looking at your screenshots, you have at least 4 processes using up CPU cycles, and the way these CPU work, when there is a light load on them, (such as you can see in task manager) they'll boost as high as they can go, which generally means up to 1.5v when the load is light on just a few cores.

It's actually normal behavior.

Can i stop it doing this? as essentially no matter what im doing its always 65-70c, just browsing etc.. it shouldn't need to boost so high all the time or use that much voltage?

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I know some RGB and monitoring programs such as corsair Icue constantly poll the CPU causing it to basically stay in constant light load boost mode, so you could try disabling anything like that for a bit to see if it is indeed that (as I see a corsair process is one of the ones in use on your screenshot)

I'm assuming it's a fairly new W11 installation as well as windows search protocol is also running some CPU cycles, which it could be some sort of file indexing going on as well.

Associate
OP
Thanks, I have closed iCue before to see if that effects the temps but sadly it didn't.. i have also monitored task manager when it has been doing things like search eindexing, and when its not and it also made no real difference..

it's just strange, I can't figure it out!

Might play with PBO settings some more and the curve optimiser, see if can help lower temps that way..

Associate
OP
Yeah as long as its higher than the pump its fine, the tubes at the top cause no performance issues, you just might get the odd bubbling/crackling noise sometimes if air is trapped, but just tilting the PC makes it go away usually

Soldato
Thanks, I have closed iCue before to see if that effects the temps but sadly it didn't.. i have also monitored task manager when it has been doing things like search eindexing, and when its not and it also made no real difference..

it's just strange, I can't figure it out!

Might play with PBO settings some more and the curve optimiser, see if can help lower temps that way..

It may lower temps but the root cause is still that your cpu isn't idling in some situations and you have background processes running - but perhaps that part is normal. The 5800x is known for being toasty

Associate
OP
It may lower temps but the root cause is still that your cpu isn't idling in some situations and you have background processes running - but perhaps that part is normal. The 5800x is known for being toasty

Yeah, it just don't make sense, it shouldn't constantly be 65-70c when just light browsing or not really doing anything, on Windows 10 it'd be around 45-50c... not sure why Windows 11 makes it want to boost all the time and run so hot,

Just no idea what I can do tbh, I tried cleaning all the fans and repasting the CPU but no difference

The only thing that drops the temps is turning boost off completely..

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Yeah, it just don't make sense, it shouldn't constantly be 65-70c when just light browsing or not really doing anything, on Windows 10 it'd be around 45-50c... not sure why Windows 11 makes it want to boost all the time and run so hot,

Just no idea what I can do tbh, I tried cleaning all the fans and repasting the CPU but no difference

The only thing that drops the temps is turning boost off completely..

Perhaps some software that's installed just isn't liking W11 and is constantly poling the CPU, thus causing it to constantly boost.

Associate
OP
Perhaps some software that's installed just isn't liking W11 and is constantly poling the CPU, thus causing it to constantly boost.

Possibly hmm, all 6 fans in my case are Corsair QL 120mm fans, including the 2 fans on the radiator, would that make much difference?

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Possibly hmm, all 6 fans in my case are Corsair QL 120mm fans, including the 2 fans on the radiator, would that make much difference?

In what sense do you mean? They won't be having any effect on the CPU boost if that's what you mean?

I'd have a look at what software is running at start up and disable all none essential ones.

If you haven't already, try HWinfo64 software (sensor only ticked) as that is better for monitoring Ryzen than core temp.

Have task manager open and set the CPU column to descending so it shows the current processing using your CPU like you did earlier.

Then watch which processes are using the CPU, then stop them one by one (the main culprits - if they are things like icue, corsair, even that Microsoft search index etc)

See if the idle voltage drops to around 0.9v-1.0v in HWinfo after each process closing, until you find the one that's causing it to constantly boost.

Soldato
I would be tempted to remove AVG and see how it goes as well, the less background tasks the easier it is to narrow down the cause.

I also noticed you're using Wallpaper engine? Could disable that and see if that helps, I know it can affect GPU idles but it might also be triggering the CPU as well depending on the wallpaper running.

Soldato
From your screen shots the CPU is not idle, 13% usage will get the CPU hot, my idle usage is <= 1%. Try closing all the software you have open and the temps should reduce.

Associate
doesnt help to use multiple temp monitoring programs, i see icue which can monitor temps and msi after burner. i would close down all apps 1by1 and see when the cpu usage starts to change

Associate
OP
I fixed it now, it was Windows Indexing trying to index the 900,000 files in my football manager graphics packs...

Excluded that folder from indexing and it came down to 8000 files and all complete now

Also just rebuilt PC in a new case with new AIO and more fans,

I now get a cool 35c idle... much better

Back
Top Bottom