Help selecting a gaming pc?

Soldato
I checked out the Titan Bayonet components and at the current offer (£959.99) you're only paying £1 for the build fee, so that's really good.

You could mess around with the options for more longevity (i7, 16GB RAM, GTX 1070).

E.g.:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
  • 1 x Titan Bayonet Overclocked Gaming PC - Intel Core i5 7600K @ 4.8GHz Kabylake = £1,249.03
    • Case:phanteks Eclipse P400 Midi Tower Case - Black Window
    • Memory:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B30
    • Operating System:Unwanted
    • Build Time:Standard Build Systems - Dispatched within 7 working days
    • Storage Mechanical Hard Drive:Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD - OEM (ST1000DM010)
    • Optical Drive **Please Check Case Support**:Unwanted
    • Sound Card:Unwanted
    • WIFI:Unwanted
    • Lighting:Unwanted
    • Primary Solid State Drive / Hard Drive:Intel 600P 128GB M.2-2280 PCI-e 3.0 x 4 NVMe 3D NAND Solid State Drive (SSDPEKKW128G7X1)
    • Secondary Solid State Drive / Hard Drive:Unwanted
    • CPU:Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz (Kaby Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - OEM
    • Graphics card:EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Black Edition 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    • Security Software:Unwanted

Total: £1,263.13
(includes shipping: £14.10)

If you could stretch up to £1300 I'd add a 250GB SSD (Samsung 850 EVO at current price would fit the bill) in place of the 128GB SSD.

Associate
OP
Hi Danny,

I really appreciate your build there. I had the same in mind. Just a few things:

1) Is the PSU strong enough to support the i7 and 1070?
2) anyway to check the MoBo on this build? Also is it a good model?
3) Is the Titan the titan the best value prebuild?

Soldato
Hi Danny,

I really appreciate your build there. I had the same in mind. Just a few things:

1) Is the PSU strong enough to support the i7 and 1070?
2) anyway to check the MoBo on this build? Also is it a good model?
3) Is the Titan the titan the best value prebuild?

The PSU and Motherboard are listed on the Titan Bayonet page as being:

SuperFlower 550W 80+ Gold Rated PSU

Asus Prime Z270-K (Socket 1151) ATX Motherboard

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/tita...00k-4.8ghz-kabylake-fs-124-og.html#t=a2b1c5d+

So yes, if it's those (you can check by calling OcUK or opening a thread in Customer Services forum), no problem.

Is it the best value prebuild? I don't know, there are so many, it just seems to be right now, with the ongoing offer.

I'll try putting together an AMD Ryzen 1600 spec, to compare (that would be a good option too).

Soldato
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,218.43
(includes shipping: £12.60)

+ Build fee (quotes vary from spec to spec). So could come out to around the same. However, going for the 1600 instead of 1600X, and a cheaper AM4 B350 motherboard could knock up to £100 off the total.

i7-7700K v 1600X? Will depend on the game, there won't be that much between them normally. When 1600X can make use of all cores/threads it can surpass 7700K. Any streaming/game capture/encoding etc should be faster and/or smoother with 1600X. If a game uses from 1 core to 4 cores/8 threads max, the 7700K will be stronger. Either would be preferable to i5-7600K at this point in time.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thats great Danny, thanks!

It would certainly shave a few pounds of the overall build.

In terms of the i5-7600k (on the Bayonet) which is OC'd to 4.8GHZ...will that be faster than the i7 7700k @ 4.2ghz (which isnt oc'd on the bayonet)?

Soldato
In terms of the i5-7600k (on the Bayonet) which is OC'd to 4.8GHZ...will that be faster than the i7 7700k @ 4.2ghz (which isnt oc'd on the bayonet)?

Only in a few circumstances. It would be wiser to go for the extra cores or threads of i7 or Ryzen at this point. Besides, you can always overclock yourself if it bothers you (it's easy). Or you can ask OcUk about i7 overclocking. It does seem a bit strange that the i5-K would be overclocked in the Bayonet system, but not i7-K. Maybe just an omission in the description.

Soldato
Hi Danny,

Just in regards to the: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/evga...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-304-ea.html
Seems to be some bad reports online about over-heating etc, does OC'ers only allow their non-sellers to be selected with pre-builds. Seems the Asus Strix 1070 would be better but isnt an option!

I was aware of those issues when they first came out, but the latest reports is that they've been fixed. So the date on those bad reports is something to look at.

Like I said, you'll need to contact OcUK for any changes to pre-builts (it is allowed) or custom specs. They just don't list all the components available from their shop as options for pre-builts.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So im going to go for this:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/tita...dwZwBdSW*5Ead124;Eae124yNni1-_-Tgj1V6ZTQk1#VU

Now im going to swap out the evga for a diffrent model of 1070:

Im torn between paying the extra to get the: Asus Strix
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-403-as.html

Or do a basically direct swap for either:

MSI ARMOR OC: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-32c-ms.html
Or
Zotac AMP!:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/zota...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-103-zt.html

Any final advice on the gpu? I did read reports of GPU sag and fan issues with the zotac. But seems a popular choice (well the extreme edition).

Soldato
Personally I wouldn't drop 1300 quid on an i5 system. If, going by your OP, you're looking for longevity from the system you want an i7 (if your mind is set on intel) or a ryzen based system (R5 1600 would be my personal go to right now)

Soldato
Im just really torn on a good gpu 1070, every brand seems to have issues and its hard to pick. Sorry about the amount of posts here, ive came into this basically clueless.
Don't apologise for asking questions. Everyone starts somewhere and this is what this section of forums are for - asking questions.
Are you set on the i7? I'd be inclined to be looking at Ryzen. Specifically the R5 1600. You're getting 2 more cores & 4 more threads all for a hell of a lot less ££'s
Going forward I can only see games utilising more than 4 cores, possibly a year or 2 down the line. That's obviously just my own opinion but one I've formed from everything I've been reading.
Also the R5 the platform is due to be supported for 3-4 years so you can easily drop a new cpu into any motherboard you get now at a later date.

Associate
OP
Thank you. so the Ryzen r5 i had a look at reviews and its not getting a great gaming performance, but as you said as more games utilize the cores it should age better than the i7? also any thoughts on the gpu? I pick one then somthing negative turns up, about coil whine or heating or some other issue...sigh.

Soldato
Thank you. so the Ryzen r5 i had a look at reviews and its not getting a great gaming performance, but as you said as more games utilize the cores it should age better than the i7? also any thoughts on the gpu? I pick one then somthing negative turns up, about coil whine or heating or some other issue...sigh.
Hah welcome to the world of picking pc's!

What reviews did you see that showed an R5 not get great gaming performance?!

Take a squizz through the thread over in the CPU subsection. It's a very capable cpu and coupled with a 1070 you'll have no issues gaming at 1080p. Admittedly, due to it being just released there are some bugs/flaws mainly with ram compatibility and overclocking but those are being addressed by AMD in the form of bios updates. To give you my personal perspective. I almost plumped for an i7 system myself at the start of the year but for a couple of random reasons didn't go through with it (still using a ~7 year old 1st gen i5 750:eek:) and I'm actually glad now I didn't! I'm going to hold of another week or so to see how the bios updates improve stability then I'll be jumping on an R5 1600.

Back
Top Bottom