• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help! Strange 1080Ti output 'crash' / no video output

L33

L33

Permabanned
Ladies and gentlemen of OcUK I need your help, I'm a bit stumped with this one.

Background info (specs at bottom of post):
Asus Strix 1080Ti, new in October 2017 has been running perfectly until now
Was previously running a 4770k setup, no GPU issues.
Upgraded late December to an 8700k, no GPU issues (until now)
Temperatures are all excellent and well within tolerances (max 55-60 cpu, max 75 GPU etc).
CPU is Prime95 stable
Windows 10 and Windows 7 dual boot. Problem happens in both.
Geforce driver 385.69 - have settled on this driver since october and it has been faultless.
Problem happens with no GPU/CPU overclocking
Nothing of interest in windows event logs

Problem:
After a seemingly random amount of time (at a guess, 3-6 hours) and only during a game my 1080Ti will 'soft crash'; all 3 monitors show no signal but some (not all) of the time after hearing audio stutter/loop/repeating I can still hear the game/discord etc is running, I can still push-to-talk etc so it seems the PC hasn't crashed.
Again most of the time as the crash happens the GPU fans ramp up for a couple of seconds - though temps via afterburner on android show everything was normal at time of crash and there is no overheating.
This started a couple of days ago for seemingly no reason.

Here is where it gets even weirder. If I now reset the PC, there may or may not be video output. IF there is, the chances are as soon as I launch a game the exact same thing happens instantly, before I get to see the game.
If I power off the PC for a few moments, it'll all work properly again for a random amount of time (5 mins to 6+ hours).
When I get video output back, the chances are my main display is set back to 60Hz and I have to manually set it to 100Hz.

What I've tried:
Both Windows 10 and Windows 7. Happens in both
Removed all overclocking
Changed displayport cables
Disconnected monitor 2 & 3
Tried different games
Reseated graphics card

Specs:
Asus Strix 1080Ti
X34A ultrawide 3440x1440 100Hz connected via displayport
2x 1080p 60Hz side monitors, one via displayport and one via HDMI
8700k @ 5Ghz, prime95 stable
8pack 3600mhz DDR4
MSI z370 gaming pro carbon motherboard
OCZ zx 1250w PSU
Sound blaster Z PCIE

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got pretty much the same problem, been down most of the last couple of days with it, i'm doing an anvanced RMA with EVGA, hope that sorts it.

L33

L33

Permabanned
OP
Typically it didn't happen yesterday in 7 hours of use, but I'm sure it isn't solved and is just luck.
Let me know how you get on, hope the new card fixes it for you. I've ordered a new PSU, as mine is my oldest component and I don't have another to test. Will update the thread if I find a solution.

Soldato
I got a new psu today, didn't help so i wouldn't get your hopes up.

I've got a titan xp star wars ordered so will be selling my replacement FTW3 when it arrives.

Soldato
Just to let you know i got another 1080ti and my system runs fine now, put the old one in and black screen in minutes so the card is faulty.

EVGA are sending me a new replacement .. how did you get on with yours?.

Soldato
Firmware or driver issue.

As you have now updated to a newer card which will have the latest firmware you good to go.

The old card will be fine as long as you update the bios. ;)

Update and sell. ;)

Soldato
You have to make a collateral payment for the new card to be sent out in advance, if you don't send the old card back they will keep the payment.

Do you mean update the bios on the card?.

Edit, i see PXOC can update the firmware, i'm not going to bother as i've got it packaged up ready to return now.

Last edited:

L33

L33

Permabanned
OP
Just to let you know i got another 1080ti and my system runs fine now, put the old one in and black screen in minutes so the card is faulty.

EVGA are sending me a new replacement .. how did you get on with yours?.
Thanks for the reminder. Glad yours is sorted now!
Strangely it didn't happen again even on the old power supply. I did replace the PSU as I'd ordered a new one anyway, but I'm not sure what fixed it. So far, so good.

Back
Top Bottom