Help? VTX3D HD 7950 X-Edition

Associate
Hello,

I received a**B Grade** VTX3D HD 7950 X-Edition from ocuk today and it wouldnt boot, black screen.

I sent them a web note about it but I am unsure about one thing. The card has a 6 pin and an 8 pin connector. I plugged both my 6 pins in. Is this why its not working? does it need a 6 pin and 8 pin?

Soldato
Yes it needs a 6 pin and a 8 pin. Are your PCI-E connectors not 6+2 pins?

Quick question what PSU are you using.

Associate
OP
I only have 1 6 pin and then an adaptor from two molex's to a 6 pin. Its quite an old 650w Atrix PSU. It did however run my old 5850 and my friends 5850 in sli fine so I guess its ok?

unfortunately it was really stretching the budget just getting the GPU so a new PSU would be very hard... :)

If thats definitely the problem couldnt I just at an adaptor?

Soldato
You could buy an adaptor but for a high end card you are risking it, im checking that PSU now for reviews to see if its a good one.

Associate
OP
Ok, even though I shouldnt have financially ive just bought a XFX 650w PSU. I heard a few people say they are good :)

Associate
Ok, even though I shouldnt have financially ive just bought a XFX 650w PSU. I heard a few people say they are good :)

That should be plenty, and they're actually rebranded Seasonic units which are pretty decent :). My HIS 7950 IceQ Boost Clock edition only uses 2 x 6-pin connectors and it's factory overclocked... I wonder if VTX are using the 7970 PCB with their 7950?

Associate
OP
Well im guessing the 650 is a bit overkill but I was thinking about possibly getting a piledriver in the future and overclocking it. I heard they are power hungry overclocked. I have really good cooling so fingers crossed.

I have a 965 at the moment at 3.8, it will go higher. Do you think a 8350 overclocked will bottleneck the 7950 at all? I mainly play BF3 which I heard uses all 8 cores.

Associate
Well im guessing the 650 is a bit overkill but I was thinking about possibly getting a piledriver in the future and overclocking it. I heard they are power hungry overclocked. I have really good cooling so fingers crossed.

I have a 965 at the moment at 3.8, it will go higher. Do you think a 8350 overclocked will bottleneck the 7950 at all? I mainly play BF3 which I heard uses all 8 cores.

I don't think the 8350 will bottleneck a 7950 at all. BF3 can use more than 4 cores, but not very effectively... For example the first 2 cores could be running at 90% load and the other 6 cores might only be running at 40% load (something along those lines anyway :)). Infact, a quad core i5 2500K or 3570K will outperform any AMD chip when it comes to gaming (even AMD's octa core chips ;)).

Top Bottom