Help with freeze on overclocked i7....

Associate
I have a P6T Deluxe, i7 965 E, NV 285 GTX, 6gb 1600 ram triple channel.

The above system is currently running at stock but when overclocked the system freezes (with no BSOD or errors in the eventviewer) when there is high HD activity such as defragging etc. The only thing reported in the eventviewer is an unexpected restart which is down to me pressing the reset button to re boot the system.

When the lock up occurs the screen just freezes and the I may get some distorted sound through the speakers, whether or not any sound was playing at the time.

When overclocked the system will run Prime, Orthos, Memtest for hours on end with no errors and CPU temps reaching 69-70 at max.

Overclocked settings in BIOS are:

Multi: 30
Bclk: 133
CPU: 1.4v (about 1.36 with vdroop)
LLC: Disabled
QPI/DRAM: 1.35v
DRAM: 1.66v

RAM: 1600 8-8-8-24 (as per spec)

Will the overclock affect anything other than memory / CPU in terms of stability?

Can the SATA controller be affected?

At the moment I am living with this freeze because it only happens when I decide to defrag my FSX Vraptor or do some other HD intensive work.

TIA

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm leaning towards an unstable OC but starnge how it runs perfectly when running all the software we usually run to test stability.

Is there any merit in running 20 x 200 rather then 30 x 133?

Associate
OP
Don't know if anyone can help with this, but after a lot of patience and testing I have found that the freeze also occurs at stock and sometimes the system reboots and the BIOS goes to default settings (everything was at stock apart from BIOS boot screen and hyperthreading disabled).

To me it's looking like a faulty MB or maybe something to do with the BIOS such as battery?

Any help appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom