1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with setting up system to access main PC from lounge

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by carlazai, 8 Aug 2016.

1. carlazai

Mobster

Currently, I am limited to working, playing games and watching media in my computer room on a decent'ish tv but I now wish to get a good tv and surround system in the lounge. I have a chromecast dongle and require a way to access the shared hard drives on my main pc and stream the content to the lounge tv.

I don't want to use my laptop to access the shared drives on my main PC as its too bulky etc. I want to get a tablet that is capable of accessing my pc media and to stream it with the chromecast or if necessary some other device.

Does anyone have any recommendation on a tablet capable of accessing windows pc shared drives or would a some sort of media PC for the lounge be better? Is there a AV receiver that could perhaps do an on screen navigation of shared media on the network from the lounge PC? All ideas are greatly appreciated as i know very little about this stuff.

2. BornEvil

Hitman

Maybe try Plex media Server. Most smart TVs have a client built in. You don't get direct access to directories as the media has to be in a library though.

Also iOS/android app available. Quite a good ecosystem.

3. carlazai

Mobster

Thanks for that great idea. Will definitely look into that further plus when tv shopping will help me greatly.

4. BinnsY

Wise Guy

Another vote for Plex here. It's definately available on J series Samsung smart TV's (and I would assume the newer K series) and works really well.