Help with temp graphics upgrade

Associate
Hey guys. Looking to do an upgrade on my current (very old) PC, mainly used for gaming and wondering if I could get away with just replacing the graphics card for now, and eventually (six months or more..) do entirely new build.

Current PC: CPU - Intel Core I7-2600.

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 ATX - Intel Z68 Express/ITE

RAM - Kingston DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

GFX card - WinFast GTX 560 Ti Hurricane

Need to check my power supply sorry (potentially happy to upgrade too)... And just using a Samsung HD Monitor.

It can run most what i'd call medium spec games in an ok way. It's when I get into current AAA titles, it tends to load/run very slowly if it can load at all. With the graphics on low, Battlegrounds is pretty slow and really drops in FPS when I turn a corner/any action happens and looks like Starfox on the Snes graphics wise.

So thinking of going full wack on upgrading to a MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti (thinking of the Gaming X) and then use that when I do eventually do a full new build.
Just wondering what you guys thought of that as a bit of a temp fix? If it's possible... And if i'm going to be dragged down by my CPU/RAM at all? Not too keen on overclocking anything... It's barely hanging on as it is haha. Or should I just relax and wait 6-8 months and build from scratch? I would use this graphics card (and power supply) in my new build no matter what flashy new thing comes out later too.

Thanks for your help :)

Soldato
Welcome to the forum.

Find out which PSU brand and model.

Which Samsung monitor is it exactly, resolution and refresh rate, as a 1080Ti could be total overkill. Is HD 720p in this case? As FullHD is 1080p. If you upgrade monitor in a year or two there will be faster video cards for same price so always best to match video card to present monitor unless upgrading monitor in the very immediate future.

As for whether CPU/RAM could be bottleneck, sure you'd get more frames with a more modern CPU but you'll get a bunch of extra frames with a different video card already, so it's a good upgrade on its own if not wanting to do full system refresh just yet.

Associate
OP
Hey Danny, thanks for the welcome and reply!

Oh yeah so the PSU could be a little bit under powered...? It's a Cooler Master RE-500-PCar-I3. Looking at reviews it's actually a sub 500W PSU. So think i'd need to upgrade that for safety huh?
And i actually forgot to mention (plus my first post was getting a bit long) that if i do get the upgrade, in a couple months i'd then get a ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q to match it up. As yeah you're right my current one is a HD 720p monitor, and the graphics card would be a bit overkill.

But yeah perfect, that all sounds pretty good then in theory. Thanks! :)

Soldato
Cheapest gtx 1070 with free game from Asus
Cheapest 3rd party board in stock 1070 Ti wise with excellent UK customer service from Gigabyte - overclock to gtx 1080 performance
Cheapest gtx 1080 - though no 11gbps models here. To be honest if your going 1080, would get the 11Gbos models, two I've used memory can hit just under 12Gbps :D

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,367.97 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Soldato
A 720p monitor, I'd get a 1050ti, that should be fine. lol at the suggestions of 1070ti and above!

Unless buying a new monitor too, I'd just do that and then just start from scratch in a year or two.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks guys
Actually yeah maybe i do just save some cash and go with a 1050ti for now until the whole thing burns out and go from scratch at an even later date.
Thanks for the advice guys.

Back
Top Bottom