[HELP] x570 Chipset Fan running at 5000rpm 100% of the time, no matter the config on BIOS

Associate
Hello everyone. It's my first post on this forum. Thanks in advance for the time to help.

My MSI X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI (bought from Overclockers UK) since day one, has the CHIPSET FAN SPEED running at a FIXED 5000rpm - 5200rpm.

I came to notice lately, that whenever I turned the PC on, a fan noise would start almost immediately, after doing some research on Dragon Center and also on the BIOS setup, I noticed that the CHIPSET fan is always in a constant 5000rpm - 5100rpm. I contacted MSI support and they told me to perform the following steps:

1. Update the latest BIOS (done sucessfully)
2. Clear the CMOS (done sucessfully)
3. Reset the settings to default (done sucessfully)
4. Unplug and Plug the Chipset fan power cable (done).

After doing at least two times the following above the behaviour of the CHIPSET FAN remains the same. They even sent me a BIOS version which is not even available yet (E7B93AMS.122) but still this didn't fix my issue.

PS: No matter which configuration i set for the CHIPSET FAN on the BIOS or even dragon center, the FAN keeps running at 5000-5200rpm. Balance mode, Silence Mode, even manual mode by setting to 0...10..20% doesn't make a difference.

Please, would anyone know anything that might help on solving this? It kind of annoys me because of the high noise level that a fan at 5000rpm the whole time makes. And also the useful life of the fan won't be as great because as far as I know the Chipset fan should only start spinning if the temperature is above 40...60 (depending on the mode), and even still it runs at 30..40% (3000rpm or so).

Thanks again. Any support is appreciated.

Associate
OP
This is what I've have been doing, but its really sad to pay 260£ in a Motherboard and not use a fan because somehow, it's always set to max speed. It wouldn't be hardware, it needs to be some instruction being passed somewhere which i haven't found yet.

Soldato
This is what I've have been doing, but its really sad to pay 260£ in a Motherboard and not use a fan because somehow, it's always set to max speed. It wouldn't be hardware, it needs to be some instruction being passed somewhere which i haven't found yet.

Does it run at 5000rpm......I mean can you hear it, whilst the PC is booting up ? Dragon centre settings could be conflicting with what you have set in the bios.

Associate
Sorry to say but it sounds like an RMA job, maybe a pin on the fan connector is just stuck at high, or something, and it's a hardware problem.

I was just looking in Dragon centre to see if I could see if the chipset fan is voltage or PWM based, but every time I try to customise its profile, Dragon Centre dies. Quality piece of software that!

Associate
I had same issue with MSI X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI. Chipset were running 100% (~5600 rpm) since day one. No matter what modes I changed in BIOS (manual, silent, balanced) it just stayed constantly at around 5600 rpm. At first I didn't even noticed that, and I thought my PC is so noisy because of 6 other fans. Until my friend bought same motherboard and we started to talk about fan speeds, and he said his chipset fan doesn't even spin until 75C+ . I was like "wtf", mine is constantly at 5600 rpm.

So I started to look for issues. Started with BIOS updates, reset defaults, unplugged chipset fan etc. Nothing helped.

Until, I closely inspected chipset fan socket and noticed that socket has 3 pin needles on motherboard, but fan header has 4 pin holes. Socket is so small that you can barely inspect it, and just on corner I barely noticed bent 4th pin needle. I carefully bent it back with needle and carefully plugged fan header back in and IT WORKED! Now chipset fan modes works perfectly and its controllable, and suddenly my PC is so silent.

It means that socket pins were bent already from factory, because fan header were pre-installed and plugged in already when I unboxed my motherboard.

Made account here just to make this post and maybe could help someone.

Associate
Using the Asus X570-F here. I noticed that somehow the ideal temperature is around the 60C mark. Adding fans pointed at the tiny fan area, the rpm of the small fan is about 1000-1200 rpm and temperature of 57-60C. When not using the additional fan pointing at it, the tiny fan will stay at 3500-4000 rpm and temperature of 60-62C.
The airflow in my case is as good as it can get. So I accept the idea that the X570 chip is intended to run at 60C.

Associate
@CodeKJ I had the same exact problem today. The chipset fan was stuck at max RPM no matter what I did in the BIOS. I did what you suggested and pulled out the header for the fan. Sure enough, only 3 were connected and the 4th was bent just as you described. I had to disconnect and remove the motherboard from the case entirely in order to get a good angle and some light in there, but I managed to use a needle to bend the pin back and reconnect the header properly. The fan is now working fine.

I don't know who or what connects that header in the factory, but the process is clearly broken. The header was jammed in there with that 4th pin bent to the side.

Associate
I had same issue with MSI X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI. Chipset were running 100% (~5600 rpm) since day one. No matter what modes I changed in BIOS (manual, silent, balanced) it just stayed constantly at around 5600 rpm. At first I didn't even noticed that, and I thought my PC is so noisy because of 6 other fans. Until my friend bought same motherboard and we started to talk about fan speeds, and he said his chipset fan doesn't even spin until 75C+ . I was like "wtf", mine is constantly at 5600 rpm.

So I started to look for issues. Started with BIOS updates, reset defaults, unplugged chipset fan etc. Nothing helped.

Until, I closely inspected chipset fan socket and noticed that socket has 3 pin needles on motherboard, but fan header has 4 pin holes. Socket is so small that you can barely inspect it, and just on corner I barely noticed bent 4th pin needle. I carefully bent it back with needle and carefully plugged fan header back in and IT WORKED! Now chipset fan modes works perfectly and its controllable, and suddenly my PC is so silent.

It means that socket pins were bent already from factory, because fan header were pre-installed and plugged in already when I unboxed my motherboard.

Brilliant! Thank you, CodeKJ - very good catch. I had this exact some problem and was able to fix it by very carefully bending the pin back and ensuring the corresponding pin receptacle was not blocked. MSI is going to have a lot of RMAs from people who can't figure why their chipset fan is running at 6,000 RPM constantly. :(

Again, many thanks for saving me on this one!

Associate

Made a account just to say THANK YOU, had the exact same problem, been searching for weeks, and now everything works fine !

Big thanks from France !

Associate

Created an account here just to post a big thank you. I Recently bought a MSI MEG X570 Unify which also had the chipset fan spin at 5000RPM 100% of the time. I was about to send my board for RMA wich would leave me without a pc for weeks when I found your suggestion and indeed a pin was bent. There must be some kind of machine (or human) plugging the chipset fan header in to forcefully in the factory.

Associate

@CodeKJ Thank you for the information, you just saved my day :) I had the same problem with bent pin (MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus).

Kind Regards
szczajo

Associate

Hi, CodeKJ!

Created an account to say thank you very much! There was the same problem and there was no way to solve it, but after your post I checked the socket and it turned out that one contact was also bent.
Now peace and quiet! :)))

Thank you very much !!! I wish you all the best! Greetings from Ukraine!)

Ree

Ree

Associate
looks like this has been happening for a while look at the dates of the posts. seems more care is needed when these are being manufactured.

Associate
Can confirm it's still happening in the US, with the Mag x570 Tomahawk at least. Had exact same problem. Bent pin, was able to fix luckily, thanks to this and other post.

Thanks CodeKJ!

Back
Top Bottom