The Witcher series (Netflix)

Man of Honour
I'm two episodes in. Does this get any better.? Pretty poor so far. 6/10 if that.

Reminds me of Legend of the Seeker quality wise if anyone has seen that...

If the first two episodes don't do it for you it probably isn't your thing and it only really pays off in the last two episodes.

Soldato
Just smashed this show in a week and a bit. Great TV as far as im concerned - looking forward to season 2. Great acting, and the pace apart from the first few eps is really strong.

I love the games and first book and its clear a lot of care and attention has gone into this show.

Soldato
Great TV? I was expecting much more form this.

Big actor and big franchise and so far (I've seen 6/8 episodes) my average rating for the show is about 6/10.

One episode (I think third) was good maybe 8/10 but so far this is really poor showing and a real waste of an opportunity.

I guess I'm comparing this to GOT which has set the bar just too damn high.

Man of Honour
I guess I'm comparing this to GOT which has set the bar just too damn high.

The tendency to compare it to GOT doesn't do it favours for me only the way they put it together in the last 2-3 episodes was the only thing that really saved it - I wanted to like it but at times it was only 1-2 interesting elements that prevented it from being bad.

Soldato
Urghh, finally got finished watching this.

mixed emotions to be honest. I like cavil as geralt, I think tissaia works well and after a fashion I can sort of accept the actress playing yennefer. But on the whole the acting is poor, made for TV movie sort of level. The special effects are anything but special...in particular the big finale Battle of Sodden was indeed sodden, as in it was a damp, wet mess. Borch’s appearance as the golden dragon is right up there with the SciFi channels best efforts at poo special effects. That said, I still sort of enjoyed it as I’m a huge fan of the game and books and I liked seeing the characters brought to life (good or bad) but this tv series really isn’t anything to get excited by imo. I really hope the second series improves on the the first but I doubt it. Seems most of the budget must have went on Cavils wage lol

Soldato
A spin-off prequel has been announced by Netflix - The Witcher: Blood Origin. It's set ~1200 years before the main series, and will focus on the origins of the first Witcher, and the events that lead to the “conjunction of the spheres,” when the worlds of monsters, men, and elves merge into one. I don't know if this is based on any particular book(s) by Sapkowski, or just general backstory throughout the series of novels?

Soldato
General backstory, so they will be making it up as they go along - at least they have Sapkowski on hand as an adviser. Hopefully it goes better than the latter seasons of GoT.

Soldato
A spin-off prequel has been announced by Netflix - The Witcher: Blood Origin. It's set ~1200 years before the main series, and will focus on the origins of the first Witcher, and the events that lead to the “conjunction of the spheres,” when the worlds of monsters, men, and elves merge into one. I don't know if this is based on any particular book(s) by Sapkowski, or just general backstory throughout the series of novels?

General backstory, so they will be making it up as they go along - at least they have Sapkowski on hand as an adviser. Hopefully it goes better than the latter seasons of GoT.

Probably just nick some more Elric stuff from Michael Moorcock.

Soldato
But on the whole the acting is poor, made for TV movie sort of level. The special effects are anything but special...in particular the big finale Battle of Sodden was indeed sodden, as in it was a damp, wet mess.
I found the general feel of the series had a certain Eastern European tone, as if they'd simply remade Wiedźmin the original Polish version. Every time something seemed slightly odd or an actor's line delivery was a bit off, it felt like it was more due to a Slavic cultural peculiarity than anything else. I get the same in Japanese/Manga films.
TBH, the only time I thought the acting was really a bit **** was Cavil's performance when he was Filavandrel's prisoner.

But then, I'm not a particular fan of the books (I couldn't see what the fuss was about) and the games are currently ******* me off... Witcher 2 is a clunky, janky failure of a console-port and Geralt is seems little more than an errant Samurai errand-boy. The first game was much better.

Back
Top Bottom