The Witcher series (Netflix)

Caporegime
Ep 2 . 7/10 - I liked them going back to an important location. I'm still not a fan of Ciri's casting. She looks far too young and not sure how she will scale later on. Having played the game she just doesn't fit the version I've come to know.
isn't she the one most other places are complaining she looks to old because of fillers and lip injections ruining her face

oh there's a new season out to binge, how did I miss that

Soldato
This second season is dreadful even more than the first, I am impressed. It is like the ultimate Anti-Adaptation - they studied the source material very closely, and then decided to do everything the opposite way.

Unfortunately even when putting aside it is supposed to be adapting books, even as a standalone show it is so poorly written and directed (and often cast) that it is borderline unwatchable.

Soldato
This second season is dreadful even more than the first, I am impressed. It is like the ultimate Anti-Adaptation - they studied the source material very closely, and then decided to do everything the opposite way.
Unfortunately even when putting aside it is supposed to be adapting books, even as a standalone show it is so poorly written and directed (and often cast) that it is borderline unwatchable.

Interesting POV. In what way are they doing everything the opposite way?
I am genuinely interested, as I am very much enjoying S2.

Soldato
Thought it was awesome, better than season 1 for sure.

production seems a lot better, environments and dressings etc.

Still hate the dwarves, worst I’ve seen in fantasy tv adaption. They are just normal weak looking midgets

Soldato
Interesting POV. In what way are they doing everything the opposite way?
I am genuinely interested, as I am very much enjoying S2.
This post goes into some details of some of the things that were changed (and not for better), saves me time typing it out

https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/rj5bh2/a_thought_about_season_2_spoilers/

For me it is just so dissapointing to see all the wasted potential and knowing there is a good chance we will never get a good, proper book adaptation (and if we will, it will take like 15 years or more before it happens).

Because this is not an adaptation, it is more like reimagining, literally more than half the season is completely different than the source material.

Last edited:
Soldato
Enjoyed the first two episodes though probably should re-watch S1 to refresh my knowledge of the story line. Not read the books (going on the New Year shopping list after I finish GOT) though played the game a bit ( up until the point I got Geralt killed in a cave and couldn't get past that point!) so get the general drift of the story. Wife permitting, hoping to binge watch the rest of it over the next three evenings.

Soldato
production quality? Has WoT got a bigger budget?

I thought they had similar budgets, at around $10m per episode? Though it's mostly just rumour in both cases, given neither Amazon nor Netflix announce the budgets officially.

WoT happens on a larger scale, which would mean the opposite is true. The budget for The Witcher is quite generous considering the lean main cast (vs WoT and GoT). The scale of The Witcher is more similar to Shadow & Bone, which had a far lower budget.

Caporegime
This season felt like Merlin BBC series to me... but I secretly enjoyed that series... the bard guy is annoying as hell and why is the actor who plays him so buff? it makes no sense for a bard...

too many main characters feel miscast in my eyes. and most the women have the ugly/weird look I guess it's supposed to be exotic but it's not..

atleast get nextdoor neighbour hot type if your going for eye candy

ciri looks like a 15year old with a 40 year old womans face :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Decent and thankfully they've improved the CGI and the sets since s1, 8 episodes felt fine this time around with the pacing.

Just watched the first episode, and i thought the cinematography and CGI was really excellent. Better than a lot of recent films.

Soldato
This post goes into some details of some of the things that were changed (and not for better), saves me time typing it out

https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/rj5bh2/a_thought_about_season_2_spoilers/

For me it is just so dissapointing to see all the wasted potential and knowing there is a good chance we will never get a good, proper book adaptation (and if we will, it will take like 15 years or more before it happens).

Because this is not an adaptation, it is more like reimagining, literally more than half the season is completely different than the source material.
Dont watch wheel of time, judging by your response here you will stroke out 5 mins into episode one!

Soldato
Dont watch wheel of time, judging by your response here you will stroke out 5 mins into episode one!
I do not intend to, but given that I haven't read any of the WoT books, the differences there likely wouldn't bother me.

With Witcher I am peeved because there are so many great scenes and dialogues I would LOVE to see translated into live action. This show was supposed to deliver that (and its creators advertised it as such), but utterly, spectacularly failed at it.
And as a result, it will likely take decades before we might get an actual adaptation. That is so damn annoying.

Soldato
I do not intend to, but given that I haven't read any of the WoT books, the differences there likely wouldn't bother me.

With Witcher I am peeved because there are so many great scenes and dialogues I would LOVE to see translated into live action. This show was supposed to deliver that (and its creators advertised it as such), but utterly, spectacularly failed at it.
And as a result, it will likely take decades before we might get an actual adaptation. That is so damn annoying.

It's always the way. The first series hooks you in by being good (ie, following the source material), then in the second series, the creators get down to their agenda/message and mess up by not following the source (not that they care).

People predicted this a while back looking at the very careful language Cavill used in some of his interviews in the last year regarding the direction of series two. It's not difficult just to stick to the source material, and have a hit series based on a hit book, but Hollywood can never help themselves, and they destroy everything they touch.

Soldato
Just watched season 2, it was bloody brilliant.
Episode 1 is the best for me and beauty and the beast was the best story in The Last Wish to.
They have captured the world of the Witcher perfectly, I especially liked the atmospheric lighting that was an exact match to the Witcher 1 (game).
All characters where well cast, maybe with the exception of Triss, but at least this time she had a signature red hair.

Back
Top Bottom