The Witcher series (Netflix)

Man of Honour
Just finished season 2 and I'm really disappointed.

I thought the writing was poor, almost childish (constant F bombs just felt really weird and out of place), almost every character (especially younger cast) had the same exact dialogue and way of speaking that it made it difficult to distinguish between them. Aside from the core characters, the ocean of exposition and running waffle from the constantly rotating cast, all using the same voice, was so dire it was difficult to get through.

Unless they narrow the focus onto the main cast, which should be 90% Geralt and Ciri, then it'll continue to go down the drain. Fringilla, Francesca and Cahir's is a tale for Geralt to hear on his travels, not hours of waffling nonsense between badly adapted characters with a poor script. Let novels be novels, television needs to be television. CDPR adapted the novels to tell stories in videogames really well, surely Netflix can find people to do the same for television?

I want to see Geralt being a Witcher, I want to see monsters from the lore and legend, I want to see him teaching Ciri the world of monsters and men, I want the supporting cast to teach her about her power. I want to watch her as she uncovers her destiny and deepens her relationships with the core cast and gradually becomes more independent. The story and script needs to be adapted to better suit audiences and the relationships between these core characters, everything else needs to facilitate this. Locations and its people need to be better represented and easily distinguishable from each other.

Skipping from character to character, location to location might work in Game of Thrones, but here, with these writers and directors? Nope. If they don't change it, I'll be surprised if Netflix goes beyond a 3rd season. Because right now The Witcher is a sporadic series of quality moments floating in a sea of drudgery. And yet, there's so much potential for something incredible, they're just going about it in the wrong way.

I'm on the fence on this - baring in mind not all the audience or potential audience for the show will be coming from the games or books.

If they use it as a springboard for subsequent seasons it can work - if the next season is just more of the same though it is going to fall flat on its face.

Caporegime
I'm on the fence on this - baring in mind not all the audience or potential audience for the show will be coming from the games or books.

If they use it as a springboard for subsequent seasons it can work - if the next season is just more of the same though it is going to fall flat on its face.

If it is more of the same, with great action and visuals and a coherent and decently written (vs the first season) plot that sees tangible development of Ciri and progress of her link to the fate of the Elven nations, then it is going to do very well. This season was so much better than the first and I am really happy about that. :)

Man of Honour
If it is more of the same, with great action and visuals and a coherent and decently written (vs the first season) plot that sees tangible development of Ciri and progress of her link to the fate of the Elven nations, then it is going to do very well. This season was so much better than the first and I am really happy about that. :)

Reminds me of the 3rd season of Westworld in this respect - the first half of the season when I thought it was building up to something I held a similar opinion until it turned out it was just more of the same for the second half and going nowhere and I had to revise my original opinion steeply downward.

Man of Honour
I want to see Geralt being a Witcher, I want to see monsters from the lore and legend, I want to see him teaching Ciri the world of monsters and men, I want the supporting cast to teach her about her power.
Yeah I think that’s the sort of show I was really hoping for - episodic adventures in a fantasy world, with the focus on low key, everyday Witcher stuff (almost intentionally at odds with the problems of the wider world). The best bits of the Mandolorian and season one (and two) or the Witcher were like this, short chapters of indifference - pockets of an intriguing life.

Now we’re rooted in a ‘big destiny / saving the world’ type storyline and I feel disinterested in the journey, because it’ll be the same trudge of struggle, romance and overcoming odds that’s played out time and time again.

I’m reminded of that Bowie classic….. “Is their life on marrrrsssss…???”

Permabanned
Just finished season 2 and I'm really disappointed.

I thought the writing was poor, almost childish (constant F bombs just felt really weird and out of place), almost every character (especially younger cast) had the same exact dialogue and way of speaking that it made it difficult to distinguish between them. Aside from the core characters, the ocean of exposition and running waffle from the constantly rotating cast, all using the same voice, was so dire it was difficult to get through.

Unless they narrow the focus onto the main cast, which should be 90% Geralt and Ciri, then it'll continue to go down the drain. Fringilla, Francesca and Cahir's is a tale for Geralt to hear on his travels, not hours of waffling nonsense between badly adapted characters with a poor script. Let novels be novels, television needs to be television. CDPR adapted the novels to tell stories in videogames really well, surely Netflix can find people to do the same for television?

I want to see Geralt being a Witcher, I want to see monsters from the lore and legend, I want to see him teaching Ciri the world of monsters and men, I want the supporting cast to teach her about her power. I want to watch her as she uncovers her destiny and deepens her relationships with the core cast and gradually becomes more independent. The story and script needs to be adapted to better suit audiences and the relationships between these core characters, everything else needs to facilitate this. Locations and its people need to be better represented and easily distinguishable from each other.

Skipping from character to character, location to location might work in Game of Thrones, but here, with these writers and directors? Nope. If they don't change it, I'll be surprised if Netflix goes beyond a 3rd season. Because right now The Witcher is a sporadic series of quality moments floating in a sea of drudgery. And yet, there's so much potential for something incredible, they're just going about it in the wrong way.

Hit every point I was trying to make a few pages back but better!

Caporegime
I enjoyed very muchly, more so than wot which was ok.

Haven't read either book series, sucks to be those peeps it seems.

I also enjoy it muchly. I started reading the books because of the first season, and I'm about half way through, I think it does an good job of translating the books whilst not being slavish to them. There's a lot of stuff that is remixed and reordered to tell the story, but I think that works well. I like the way that it's moved from being monster of the week to telling a more cohesive story.

Soldato
Is that singing bard character in season 2? Stopped watching when he joined S1. Awful.

No spoilers needed please, just a yes/no!

He's kind of a central character to the world that Geralt inhabits, and he barely had much screen time in S1 anyway. If your only reason for not watching is because of him and his singing, you've seriously missed out on a great show for a pretty silly reason.

Also, I think he's rather amusing and certainly played well. But I've played the games and read the books so I know what Dandelion is meant to be like with Geralt and to be honest, the actor playing him has nailed it.

I've enjoyed both seasons but S2 is particularly good. It's also so much better than The Wheel Of Time, which has been an utterly disappointing mess.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
I only heard about this show a few days ago, and binge watched S1 and S2. Never read the book or played the game.

S2 was nowhere near as good as S1. S1 I really enjoyed, everything had a purpose. S2 though, it felt like they were showing stuff just for the sake of filling an episode, not because it had any relevance to anything. Ending was a bit anti climax too.

Will watch S3 only because Geralt is so amazing.

Soldato
I feel like people (wanna be series critics) tend to take these things a little seriously. It's a decent series and if it falls flat on its face nevermind. It's kinda nice that it's done so well so far

Caporegime
I feel like people (wanna be series critics) tend to take these things a little seriously.
I feel like only people who are not intellectuals ever say daft things like this.

Many people care about what they watch and they care about justice being done to their favourite franchises. It is natural to think critically about things like this and to want to give their opinions and this applies to all media formats. If you don't that's fine, but better to just not reply than make yourself look like an ignoramus by writing inane stuff like that.

Soldato
Personally as a big fan of the games I was kind of put-off initially by the quite different casting of many of the characters I had gotten used to but I gave it a chance anyway and it's been really good I think. If I had any criticisms they would be:
* More actual Witcher action scenes, it feels a bit sparse in S2 compared to S1 in that regard
* I don't mind the cutting back and forth between different plot threads, but the pacing of the cuts is sometimes way too fast; showing us barely 5 seconds of one thread then 2 seconds of another then 5 seconds of another etc. it's just messy and hurts the flow too much

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I feel like only people who are not intellectuals ever say daft things like this.

Many people care about what they watch and they care about justice being done to their favourite franchises. It is natural to think critically about things like this and to want to give their opinions and this applies to all media formats. If you don't that's fine, but better to just not reply than make yourself look like an ignoramus by writing inane stuff like that.

No, its easy to shred anything and everything based on on your own whimsical views of how something should be done, that goes for any show, some people like Star Trek Discovery for Christ sake. So like anything you take all the TV talk with a complete pinch of salt, no one cares :)

Caporegime
No, its easy to shred anything and everything based on on your own whimsical views of how something should be done, that goes for any show, some people like Star Trek Discovery for Christ sake. So like anything you take all the TV talk with a complete pinch of salt, no one cares :)

Yep, with so many objectively bad shows out there, subjective criticism of one of the better ones by jilted fans just makes everyone else chuckle/shake their heads.

Caporegime
People clearly do care. But it's ok, like I said not everyone has an intellectual or critical mindset when it comes to discussing things they are interested in.

Back
Top Bottom