The Witcher series (Netflix)

Associate
Yeah how could someone from an imaginary world be asian or black. That's totally unrealistic.

You have a serious case of whataboutism. As soon as you start bringing up either hypothetical scenarios you have no argument. One wrong doesn't make another wrong fine.

So if Black Panther had a scattering of white and Asian actors playing tribes men and women that would be ok? as It an imaginary world.
The Witcher is set in an alternate eastern European medieval setting.

Caporegime
Who said anything about entirely white cast? Just don't touch the main characters, that's all.

Oh I see. So they can be in it as long as they aren't important? Maybe all the baddies could be minorities!

So if Black Panther had a scattering of white and Asian actors playing tribes men and women that would be ok? as It an imaginary world.
The Witcher is set in an alternate eastern European medieval setting.

Black Panther is set in our world, Wakanda is a society closed to outsiders set in Africa. If you can't see the difference between that and a made up world that is almost ENTIRELY white then I can't help you.

Associate
Black Panther is set in our world, Wakanda is a society closed to outsiders set in Africa. If you can't see the difference between that and a made up world that is almost ENTIRELY white then I can't help you.

Dude if you think Black Panther is set in our world and the Witcher is not then you need help. Both are set on an Alternate Earth as I stated The Witcher is set in an alternate eastern European medieval setting and as you stated Black Panther is set in our world, Wakanda is a society closed to outsiders set in Africa. So surly you can see why both should have actors from those races playing the main roles.?

Caporegime
Dude if you think Black Panther is set in our world and the Witcher is not then you need help. Both are set on an Alternate Earth as I stated The Witcher is set in an alternate eastern European medieval setting and as you stated Black Panther is set in our world, Wakanda is a society closed to outsiders set in Africa. So surly you can see why both should have actors from those races playing the main roles.?

Black Panther is set on Earth, The Witcher is not set on Earth. Sorry I thought I was clear enough.

Soldato
Of course this was bound to happen.

Politics first, story second.

Will likely turn out to be the same mess that they made with the new Troy tv series. Took a great story and ruined it by forcing characters that don’t fit the world.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
It's quite clear the Witcher world is based on European lands. Turn the map sideways and you have Skandinavian Skellige on the north, French/Italian Toussaint to the west. African Zerikania far down south, Kovir to the east and clearly Polish Redania in the middle.

Soldato
Are you serious or just playing devils advocate?

If the Character was written as Black or Asian and they cast her as white all hell would break lose and this has happened recently with a few shows and movies. I know Altered Carbon got flack for no apparent reason about the main actor being white and not Asian even though the story had a reason for it and people jumped onto the hysteia band wagon. Also Ed Skien left the Hellboy reboot due to finding out the character he was playing was written as an Asian. Ghost in the Shell also recieved flack.

And that outrage was wrong, because in Altered Carbon, Kovacs is in a white Anglo sleeve, and in Ghost, the character is in a white western android body originally designed to look like a western hooker.

In the next Kovacs series, he's being played by a black actor - which is true to the source material, as Kovacs is in a black sleeve for almost the whole book.

It's a reverse racism where it suddenly isn't okay for characters to be white, even if that's how they were written. I don't want to go back to the days where people are being judged and valued based on their skin colour first and foremost. Now it looks like every character has to tick diversity checkboxes - unless the skin concerned colour is white, when we should dismiss that character as having no value the way it was originally written.

Oh I see. So they can be in it as long as they aren't important? Maybe all the baddies could be minorities!

That's how they are written, it is set in a kind of psudeo eastern european setting. In fact, there's a lot of hints that it's Europe a long time ago. It seems that some people have a problem with the characters' skin colour when that colour is white. It's okay to be white, just like it's okay to be any other skin colour. There's no need to mess with the source material for the purposes of virtue signalling.

Caporegime
Any evidence that it’s not?
That's how they are written, it is set in a kind of psudeo eastern european setting. In fact, there's a lot of hints that it's Europe a long time ago. It seems that some people have a problem with the characters' skin colour when that colour is white. It's okay to be white, just like it's okay to be any other skin colour. There's no need to mess with the source material for the purposes of virtue signalling.

You're both wrong. It's mentioned that humans didn't even originate in this land, they came from a dying world during the convergence of the spheres. The elves were the original residents of this world. Nobody has said there is anything wrong with being white, there however is a lot wrong with the whole world being just white.

Soldato
You're both wrong. It's mentioned that humans didn't even originate in this land, they came from a dying world during the convergence of the spheres. The elves were the original residents of this world. Nobody has said there is anything wrong with being white, there however is a lot wrong with the whole world being just white.

But why, if that's the way the books are written? If skin colour is really not a problem and something we are not supposed to make a big deal of, why can't we just go by the way the books are written? Or are you saying the original books are racist and they must somehow be corrected? Do we need to go back through all media and rewrite history to make everything "diverse" and "inclusive", and pretend that things were not the way they were?

Last edited:
Caporegime
But why, if that's the way the books are written? If skin colour is really not a problem and something we are not supposed to make a big deal of, why can't we just go by the way the books are written? Or are you saying the original books are racist and they must somehow be corrected? Do we need to go back through all media and rewrite history to make everything "diverse" and "inclusive", and pretend that things were not the way they were?

Did you object to LOTR having female characters in more prominent roles? I can't recall how many characters skin colours are even mentioned in the books. The games though have been widely criticized for being entirely white. Whether this was intentional or just poor decisions by the developers I don't know.

Soldato
Did you object to LOTR having female characters in more prominent roles? I can't recall how many characters skin colours are even mentioned in the books. The games though have been widely criticized for being entirely white. Whether this was intentional or just poor decisions by the developers I don't know.

I had no objection to female characters in prominent roles in LOTR. I thought they were great. I just don't see how something with white characters is nowadays seen as racist because people are judging whites on the colour of their skins.

Have we decided if the books/games are racist/sexist because they don't have a quota of BAME/transgender/minority characters? Is that the case for any form of media that isn't fully diverse based on virtue signalling and being called out by SJW who haven't seen either the source material or the adaptations?

Last edited:
Soldato
They should be played by whatever the canon story indicates. For minor unimportant characters? I don't care, but the core cast should remain true to their original, written race. It just feels like pandering otherwise - I'm gonna be honest, I'll be disappointed to see Ciri, Yen or Triss as non-white.

And as mentioned, if Ciri was black (or asian) in the books then the internet would explode if they were played by a white person - but at the same time, I'd *want* to see her as a black; That's the character, that's who she should be.

It's a shame that this even has to be a topic of discussion. As someone in an article has pointed out, if they do cast a non-whiter person, I feel sorry for whoever that is, as they'll be facing the full, horrible side of social media :(

Back
Top Bottom