Hereditary

Associate
Apparently Hereditary has been getting really good reviews, some calling it "the most terrifying horror since The Exorcist", which I doubt.

I never follow hype for a horror film as I have been disappointed with a lot of crap that's came out over the past few years, still not 100% sure about this one.

Soldato
Babadook was awful. So called horror films these days are too arty, they all lack substance and rely on jump scares and paranormal crap. Long live the golden age of horror.

Yup, despised that movie, especially after the hype build up. I think the only horror that's really stood out for me in recent years is It Follows.

Soldato
Apparently Hereditary has been getting really good reviews, some calling it "the most terrifying horror since The Exorcist", which I doubt.

I never follow hype for a horror film as I have been disappointed with a lot of crap that's came out over the past few years, still not 100% sure about this one.
It's weird when I see things mentioning the Exorcist like that, I'm just too young because when i first watched the exorcist when i was a kid i found it hilarious :D

Associate
It's weird when I see things mentioning the Exorcist like that, I'm just too young because when i first watched the exorcist when i was a kid i found it hilarious :D
The younger generation do tend to laugh at The Exorcist, I'm 28, my dad gave me it to watch on VHS when I was 10, it left a lasting effect on me throughout the years. Think I have only ever watched it through twice, the film gives me a weird feeling when I attempt to watch it nowadays, whether it psychological or something, can't explain. Does anybody else feel the same way?

Soldato
The younger generation do tend to laugh at The Exorcist, I'm 28, my dad gave me it to watch on VHS when I was 10, it left a lasting effect on me throughout the years. Think I have only ever watched it through twice, the film gives me a weird feeling when I attempt to watch it nowadays, whether it psychological or something, can't explain. Does anybody else feel the same way?
I'm 28 too, still found it hilarious :D

To be fair even as a young kid most movies didn't scare me because they were so unrealistic. Things that freaked me out the most were things like the nuclear bomb scene in Terminator 2, because it was actually something that could happen. (nukes, not killer robots :p)

Soldato
I'm 28 too, still found it hilarious :D

To be fair even as a young kid most movies didn't scare me because they were so unrealistic. Things that freaked me out the most were things like the nuclear bomb scene in Terminator 2, because it was actually something that could happen. (nukes, not killer robots :p)
Be thankful you didn't live through the government's protect and survive adverts for what to do in a nuclear attack

Permabanned
Babadook was awful. So called horror films these days are too arty, they all lack substance and rely on jump scares and paranormal crap. Long live the golden age of horror.

But... The Babadook relied on neither jump scares or any paranormal entity as such :/

I don't really know what people want from Horror anymore. It's one of the many genres where it's fans seem to have this fixed point in history (which differs from person to person) that they always harken back to, instead of excepting that the genre has evolved. Don't get me wrong, I ADORE Halloween. But there can be other things, surely? I often think that those who complain about a lack of variety in the film industry these days just aren't looking very hard, especially when it comes to horror.

Last edited:
Permabanned

Yep. I'm not entirely sure whether it's due to it's legacy, or the fact that it still feels quite distinctly shocking. Maybe both? Then there's the fact that it's GENUINELY very well put together. I get the same from Rosemarys Baby and The Shining in fact. The best Directors KNOW an audience and those guys certainly qualify there.

Associate
But... The Babadook relied on neither jump scares or any paranormal entity as such :/

I don't really know what people want from Horror anymore. It's one of the many genres where it's fans seem to have this fixed point in history (which differs from person to person) that they always harken back to, instead of excepting that the genre has evolved. Don't get me wrong, I ADORE Halloween. But there can be other things, surely? I often think that those who complain about a lack of variety in the film industry these days just aren't looking very hard, especially when it comes to horror.
A lot of horror films that have come out recently have been really silly premises, there is no real terror anymore.

Associate
Yep. I'm not entirely sure whether it's due to it's legacy, or the fact that it still feels quite distinctly shocking. Maybe both? Then there's the fact that it's GENUINELY very well put together. I get the same from Rosemarys Baby and The Shining in fact. The best Directors KNOW an audience and those guys certainly qualify there.
Like the films mentioned, the formula of those films will forever be timeless in the horror genre. So original and shocking for there time of release that they still have a shadowing effect on the genre which is why they are considered classics. Pushing horror aside, most genres of film have took a back seat over the past few years and recycled trash keeps getting made, originality is lacking.

Permabanned
A lot of horror films that have come out recently have been really silly premises, there is no real terror anymore.

That's always been the case though. Even during the perceived 'golden age' of the horror flick, the well endowed classics where surrounded on all sides by shoddy imitators and schlocky, poorly thrown together nonsense. It seems a touch ironic that you criticize modern horror for being silly and indistinguishable, then go and shoot down a film like 'The Babdook' which, regardless of your personal opinion, bucked all the trends seen in the decade or so prior and opened the flood gates to some very risky and interesting ideas for the genre.

Like the films mentioned, the formula of those films will forever be timeless in the horror genre. So original and shocking for there time of release that they still have a shadowing effect on the genre which is why they are considered classics. Pushing horror aside, most genres of film have took a back seat over the past few years and recycled trash keeps getting made, originality is lacking.

I honestly couldn't disagree more with your last sentiment. Hollywood has been recycling ideas since it's inception. Hell, The Maltese Falcon was remade I think 3 times in less then 20 years (prepared to be a little off on the figures there...).

I will admit that the heavy hitting studios hold a certain dominion over the box office these days. But with streaming services and access to the internet, independent, arthouse and overall more creatively intriguing movies are ALWAYS coming out, even within the Hollywood machine itself (interesting and bold Science Fiction for instance has seen a huge resurgence in recent years). I've never been more into film then I am now and I honestly struggle to keep up with it all. My shelf is full of recommendations thrown at me by others.

I think a sincerely cynical opinion about the industry is healthy, but can easily be assuaged once you have a look at what's really out there.

Last edited:
Associate
That's always been the case though. Even during the perceived 'golden age' of the horror flick, the well endowed classics where surrounded on all sides by shoddy imitators and schlocky, poorly thrown together nonsense. It seems a touch ironic that you criticize modern horror for being silly and indistinguishable, then go and shoot down a film like 'The Babdook' which, regardless of your personal opinion, bucked all the trends seen in the decade or so prior and opened the flood gates to some very risky and interesting ideas for the genre.

I honestly couldn't disagree more with your last sentiment. Hollywood has been recycling ideas since it's inception. Hell, The Maltese Falcon was remade I think 3 times in less then 20 years (prepared to be a little off on the figures there...).

I will admit that the heavy hitting studios hold a certain dominion over the box office these days. But with streaming services and access to the internet, independent, arthouse and overall more creatively intriguing movies are ALWAYS coming out, even within the Hollywood machine itself (interesting and bold Science Fiction for instance has seen a huge resurgence in recent years). I've never been more into film then I am now and I honestly struggle to keep up with it all. My shelf is full of recommendations thrown at me by others.

I think a sincerely cynical opinion about the industry is healthy, but can easily be assuaged once you have a look at what's really out there.
The Babadook is highly overrated as are similar films such as The Witch and It Follows which all follow a similar modern horror handbook approach, they all lack substance and instead try be all 'arty'. The standard for horror and most other genres in fact have already been reached, its all been done before.

I am fully aware whats out there myself and watch all genres regardless of where about in world cinema its from, I studied film for years and highly respect GOOD cinema, but it is very rare a gem comes along these days and breaks boundaries and is considered truly groundbreaking and original no matter the genre.

Permabanned
The Babadook is highly overrated as are similar films such as The Witch and It Follows which all follow a similar modern horror handbook approach, they all lack substance and instead try be all 'arty'. The standard for horror and most other genres in fact have already been reached, its all been done before.

I am fully aware whats out there myself and watch all genres regardless of where about in world cinema its from, I studied film for years and highly respect GOOD cinema, but it is very rare a gem comes along these days and breaks boundaries and is considered truly groundbreaking and original no matter the genre.

And now we tread upon that oh so delicate of grounds, fraught with the ever present danger of misunderstanding ones own true intentions and proposals (as well as the persons opposite you), 'subjective opinion'. Particularly prevalent and important to understand when your talking about either horror or comedy.

My opinion (which is clearly not one you agree with) is that all art is freeform. Horror can be art house and STILL hold fast to it's roots. Hell, Aragento and Lynch realized this WAYYYYYYYYYYYY before the trend of jump scares was established. Horror NEEDS to be adaptive (even to pre-existing tropes) to stay not just relevant, but ultimately intriguing and engaging. I will not deny that the Apex has perhaps been reached and that the benchmarks set by predecessors are a little too lofty. But to deny so many interesting movies made by distinctly passionate individuals of any real purpose? I cannot have that, sir. It is neither up to you or I to determine whether or not the standards of the genre have slipped, especially when it comes to such a subjective thing as 'what is truly scary?'. It's the very reason I abandoned my film studies course back in the early 00's. Everything about it was just so impersonal and creatively infertile. A film's quality can be OBJECTIVELY studied and compared to the greats. But it's subject matter, it's cultural importance and it's emotional heft? Never.

Back
Top Bottom