Heritage Open Days - Sept 9 to 12 2010

Soldato
on a slight side note to this, i was at my local photographic society meeting last night and one of the things raised was that some of the National trust places in Angus were looking for some amateur photographers to see about supplying photos for new leaflets / website stuff. Not sure if this would happen in other photographic clubs throughout the UK?

Soldato
Went to clandon park and winkworth arboretum yesterday. But we ended up buying national trust membership at a special one day discount anyway (cost me £16.50 for a year). oops :D

Clandon Park

Winkworth Arboretum (will be more colourful soon I imagine..)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Went to clandon park and winkworth arboretum yesterday. But we ended up buying national trust membership at a special one day discount anyway (cost me £16.50 for a year). oops :D
Nice shots :)

I went to Blackpool Tower and Victoria Baths in Manchester.

Now that you're a NT member, I'd email all the locations in your area and ask if they will allow you to visit when they are closed to the public, so you can take photos inside.
I asked 4 locations between April and June and they all said yes :D
Have a look at my "National Trust" gallery, located in the "England" section of my site, if you've got time.

Soldato
Thanks.
Sounds like a good idea worth having a go. I guess they mostly don't have a problem with you taking a tripod round? Had to hand hold all my indoor shots at the weekend so didn't get many keepers. Went to polesden lacey as well yesterday (not an open day apparently) and they didn't allow backpacks in the house even.
I had a look at your london shots but will look at the national trust section later :)

Associate
OP
Thanks.
Sounds like a good idea worth having a go. I guess they mostly don't have a problem with you taking a tripod round? Had to hand hold all my indoor shots at the weekend so didn't get many keepers. Went to polesden lacey as well yesterday (not an open day apparently) and they didn't allow backpacks in the house even.
I had a look at your london shots but will look at the national trust section later :)
On the private visits they will allow you to use a tripod, but probably not on a regular visit.
But, I was allowed to use a tripod at Shugborough Estate. I arranged the visit in advance though.

The best way to "get your foot in the door", is either write a few emails to various locations and ask if you can visit and point them in the direction of your website.
But from experience, you'll need to email them at least 2 or 3 times asking, because they never seem to answer any emails straight away.
Just keep pestering them, to wear them down :D

Or visit a location when it's open to the public, shoot some photos and ask when you're at the location if you could come back on a private visit.
Shooting hand held at high ISO's is really a waste of time, because some locations are too dark inside.
On a private visit, you can open and close curtains and move the guide ropes etc.

Once you've been to one location on a private visit and got the photos on your site, I think you've got more chance of other locations saying "yes" after you've told them about the private visit(s) and shown them the photos.

Good luck with the visits :)
Thanks for looking at my site :)

Back
Top Bottom