Hetzner Abuse Email

Associate
Have just received 1 of these, anyone any ideas what it is? ... I've checked the VPS and can see nothing in outbound connections or any logs to suggest any thing is installed on the VPS.

We have received a security alert from the German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI).
Please see the original report included below for details.

Please investigate and solve the reported issue.
It is not required that you reply to either us or the BSI.
If the issue has been fixed successfully, you should not receive any further notifications.

Additional information is provided with the HOWTOs referenced in the report.
In case of further questions, please contact [email protected] and keep the ticket number of the original report [CB-Report#...] in the subject line. Do not reply to <[email protected]> as this is just the sender address for the reports and messages sent to this address will not be read.

Kind regards

Abuse Team

Hetzner Online GmbH
Industriestr. 25
91710 Gunzenhausen / Germany
Tel: +49 9831 5050
Fax: +49 9831 5053
www.hetzner.com

Register Court: Registergericht Ansbach, HRB 6089
CEO: Martin Hetzner, Stephan Konvickova, Günther Müller

For the purposes of this communication, we may save some
of your personal data. For information on our data privacy
policy, please see: www.hetzner.com/datenschutzhinweis

On 08 May 09:30, [email protected] wrote:
> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) developed by Microsoft is a proprietary
> network protocol for remote administration of Windows systems.
> The RDP service is using port 3389/tcp by default.
>
> Malicious actors take advantage of RDP services openly accessible from
> anywhere on the Internet for gaining unauthorized access to the
> victims' systems by performing brute-force attacks on weak passwords
> or abusing stolen login credentials. On the dark market, thousands of
> stolen login credentials for RDP services all over the world are sold.
> Those credentials usually have been harvested by malware on the hosts
> used for remote administation of the affected systems.
>
> In the past months, malicious actors more often installed ransomware
> on the compromised systems to encrypt data and subsequently demand
> ransom from the owners of the systems for the decryption of the data.
>
> To protect against such kind of attacks, CERT-Bund recommends
> restricting access to RDP services to trusted source IPs or using a
> secure VPN connection for accessing the RDP service.
>
> Affected systems on your network:
>
> Format: ASN | IP | Timestamp (UTC) | Subject common name
> 24940 | 116.***.***.46 | 2019-05-07 08:55:08 | WIN-9CBP***30ER
>
> We would like to ask you to look into this matter or notify your
> customers accordingly.
>
> This message is digitally signed using PGP.
> Information on the signature key is available at:
> <https://reports.cert-bund.de/en/digital-signature>
>
> Please note:
> This is an automatically generated message. Replies to the
> sender address <[email protected]> will NOT be read
> but silently be discarded. In case of questions, please contact
> <[email protected]> and keep the ticket number [CB-Report#...]
> of this message in the subject line.
>
>
>
> Mit freundlichen Gren / Kind regards
> Team CERT-Bund
>
> Bundesamt fr Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik
> Federal Office for Information Security (BSI)
> Referat CK22 - CERT-Bund
> Godesberger Allee 185-189, 53175 Bonn, Germany

Man of Honour
I assume it is just an automated notification that there is an external listening RDP port on the same IP as the mail server? (it is generally a good idea to obfuscate these in some way by using a different IP for remote management protocols or another system locally that is connected to externally for management then used to connect to the mail server).

EDIT: Not sure why I assumed you were running a mail server but looks to be simply a notification that your hosting has external remote management that is indiscriminately accepting connection attempts - doesn't mean anyone has logged in successfully but that they are able to try.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi Roff,

Thanks for the reply, nah no mail server.

It's just a basic windows VPS used for usenet & Emby .. I do use RDP daily from either my pc or mobile, anything I should change to stop any attempts?

Cheers

Man of Honour
Not really my area of expertise any more - if you have multiple IPs on the system then move RDP away from the IP used for public facing services if possible and use a non default port to accept connections, you can use whitelists to only allow connections from known IPs but that can be inconvenient or even get you locked out if you aren't careful. Make sure any secure/encrypted connection options are enabled where appropriate for remote management features.

Associate
Had this issue with a Hetzner server, and we changed the windows firewall to only allow connection from our two offices as they had static IP addresses. If you got really stuck you could use the Hetzner robot to order kvm over VNC as a last resort.

Soldato
As above, don't expose RDP to the Internet - lock down either through the providers control panel or Windows firewall to only accept connections from your home IP (assuming you have a static IP). Alternatively, can you VPN into the hosting provider and RDP to a private IP?

Associate
Have just received 1 of these, anyone any ideas what it is? ... I've checked the VPS and can see nothing in outbound connections or any logs to suggest any thing is installed on the VPS.

Hi Rensin,
I received the same email as your , I have a dedicated Hetzner server running work stuff for some clients.
I was able to fix the problem simply using radmin-vpn free software , very nice and easy to use, just install on vps and in your pc then create a new virtual private network (using strong password of course ;)) , add both your vps and your pc to the new vpn just created , then you have to allow you pc vpn address to connect to rdp , simply go to Windows Firewall (on your VPS) -> Advanced Rules -> Inbound rules and modify both Remote Desktop (TCP) , Remote Desktop (UDP) rules , going into 'Scope' tab then add vpn ip assigned to your pc in the 'remote Ip address' section, if you have multiple pc from where you connect to vps then add ip as well.
I just tried and now my rdp is not accessible anymore from internet but only using radmin-vpn

nice and clean ;)

Regards
G.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom