Hey Guys

Associate
Hi guys, just a little post to introduce my self and my journey into computers.

At the grand old age of 28, i've never really 'immersed' myself in electrical devices. always had a playstation phone the usual etc. but a computer was a computer, i had no idea what anything meant.

i've had a total of 3 laptops, besides 'family' computers, and when buying them, it was generally the bottom of the pile, it'll do the job. my mates where buying top of range ones, and generally replacing them more often, so seemed pointless to me.
then last september, my 5 year old Hp pavilion g6 starts playing up. over heating, acting slow. so i decide to look at a new one, went to the shops and got completely confused. laptops running ssd's and hdd's, memory twice what my current one was etc.
spoke to a guy at work who is into computers. spent days on google learning everything. and that is where the trouble started. i learnt that there wasn't too much wrong with my laptop, the fan had just become clogged with dust. i stripped it down, cleaned it out, and it was running again, but the fan failed completely a week later. i could have just got a new fan. but after reading everything about cpu's, ram i needed to upgrade.
another week or so of searching and i managed to come up with upgrading the i3 2330m to an i7 2640m, ram was upgraded from 6gb to 8gb. and a 250gb samsung 750 ssd was added. although this ended up with the same problem, cooling. i modified the case of the laptop, and now it doesn't even reach its highest fan speed to keep cool. although i caught the bug, and the 'extra' capacity that i had for cooling, and not being able to overclock somewhat left a 'whole' in what i wanted to do.

so i built a pc. my initial idea was aiming at 4th gen i5/i7 processors, with a price range of about £100 per major component. this proved pretty difficult, and although i did see plenty of 4760k's go for that price, i always missed them. after looking about a bit more, i have ended up with a 7th gen i5 7600. and although slightly over budget, i think it is better than what i might have built in 4th gen form.
i have
a cheap ******** case, this is just temp, i would like to build a wall mounted, water cooled build in the end.
asus B250m-k
i5-7600k
msi gtx 980 gaming 4g
Samsung pm961 m.2
kingston hyper x savage 2x 8gb.
and a 500gb hdd from a ps4.

Back
Top Bottom