HGVs in the outside lane - Is this allowed?

Soldato
If they can do 60 on motorways then that explains it. I thought they were limited to 50.

I wish I had a dash cam for proof because I’ve seen it twice in the last few weeks on the m53. Although there does tend to be a fair few foreign plated hgv’s on that motorway

It was on a daily basis earlier, make your mind up :rolleyes:

Soldato
On a daily basis I see them in the middle and even the outside lanes .
To quote myself from earlier. I did not say “the outside lane on a daily basis” at all. Maybe I should have worded it better. Stop getting your knickers in a twist because I dissed a small minority of hgv drivers.

Man of Honour
A lot just need to get a life. "oooh can't wait to whip out the SD card and upload THAT moment". Losers.

I see so many promoted videos on YT where the dashcam driver has obviously edited out or omitted where they've instigated or exacerbated the situation and/or it actually displays ignorant and inconsiderate driving from both parties.

Man of Honour
I see so many promoted videos on YT where the dashcam driver has obviously edited out or omitted where they've instigated or exacerbated the situation and/or it actually displays ignorant and inconsiderate driving from both parties.

Eventually we'll look back and rue the day dashcams became a thing. It's yesterdays indignant headlight flashers and the terminally paranoids latest hobby it seems. The way people go on about getting them you'd think our roads are like those in Russia rather than basically the safest on the planet.

Soldato
Funny how some of us want speed limits to apply to HGVs and delivery vans, but not to anyone else ;)

Funny that isn't it.
To quote myself from earlier. I did not say “the outside lane on a daily basis” at all. Maybe I should have worded it better. Stop getting your knickers in a twist because I dissed a small minority of hgv drivers.
Stop talking **** then.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Just a quick Q relating to the same sort of thing HGV's ont he Mway. Are they meant to constantly try and block as many lanes as possible by racing the other HGV's?

A far too common site gateshead to newcastle way is HGV's across all lanes side by side letting no one past lol

Soldato
Just a quick Q relating to the same sort of thing HGV's ont he Mway. Are they meant to constantly try and block as many lanes as possible by racing the other HGV's?

A far too common site gateshead to newcastle way is HGV's across all lanes side by side letting no one past lol

On a 4 lane motorway it's entirely legal to have hgvs in 1,2 and 3 but it's a dick move and it's only through best practice to stick to lanes 1 and 2. Me personally I'll only go into lane 3 if I'm considerably faster, when the supermarket boys start racing it's beyond a joke.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Yeah thats the only Issue I've ever really had with HGV's, other than them seeming to indicate forever to move back in.
Learnt that that one seems to be theyre not sure about the length of the truck and moving back in so always leave them a bit room and give them a flash when theyre past me and its safe to move back.

the apparant racing seems to alway take place when Im on my way to work lol

Man of Honour
One that annoys me a bit (you'd have to know the road really to understand why its annoying) is when a pair of lorries go up here side by side neither able to move past the other or willing to give up:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.1...4!1scuBY8jW6HmLrpe1xz4xWaQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

If you go on along the road on google maps you will actually see a pair of lorries doing it then and there! ( https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.1...4!1sdtND3tTZbNo9ZQ85v7MtPw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 though a bit further on and not as bad as all to often they do it)

EDIT: Going the other way is an awesome bit of road https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.1...4!1sBT82AbNuAS7i4oA2zb-uZg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Soldato
What ***** me off more is grandad doing 57 in the flipping slow lane making the trucks overtake a 60 and causing basically a blockage of two lanes for about a mile.
We either need a minimum speed limit rule (in fair conditions) or for it to be illegal for hgv to leave the slow lane unless there is standstill traffic.

2nd isn't feasible so grandad needs to get done for going too slow..
I have a whole rant about middle lane hoggers that I've been holding in for a while now. Might start a thread to vent my anger of motorway *****

Caporegime
Eventually we'll look back and rue the day dashcams became a thing. It's yesterdays indignant headlight flashers and the terminally paranoids latest hobby it seems. The way people go on about getting them you'd think our roads are like those in Russia rather than basically the safest on the planet.

Isn't that because dash cams are near mandatory for insurance etc in Russia so we see far more Russian dashcam footage?

From a soley biker perspective most hgv drivers are decent, rhey pay more attention and are one of the few drivers to realise I'm there.

Never had a truck try to change lanes into me but had at 2 cars over the years start changing lane (wheels over the line) while I was alongside them (basicaly level with them in the drivers seat) fortunately they stopped when I was on the horn.

And had one get in the wrong lane on a round about and proceed to cut right in along side me when I had the gf on the back years back, horn blaring he only realised I was there when I kicked his door. Terrifying as nowhere to go on the "innermost" lane of a roundabout with traffic.

Also truckers usualy stick an arm out and wave me past to filter at red traffic lights ^_^

Associate
I tend to find most of the 'hate' towards hgvs stems from a base of ignorance from other road users like the op. As a motorcyclist I found the same. People don't bother to understand the characteristics and needs of each other, then complain about the unexpected results of their interactions. I can tell you that grandad doing 54,57,52,55 mph in lane one is extremely frustrating as an hgv driver, especially when you finally find a downhill right hander to pass him on and he bricks it and accelerates when you're halfway past. One mile of planning wasted. Le sigh.

Soldato
There is no such thing as a slow lane, and 57 is perfectly reasonable in lane 1, it is what most traffic in that lane will be doing. HGV's, vehicles towing. I often sit at 60ish in lane one, the fuel savings are significant.

Same, on my commute to work i generally get behind a truck and stick the cruise control on, so much more chilled out no endless speeding up and slowing down as trucks usually maintain a steady speed. I just laugh at those that think you have a slow lane, middle lane and fast lane. Been flashed so many times for overtaking a car in the middle lane doing 65, me doing 70 in the outside.
Was flashed last night on my way home when the M62 signs flashed up 40, how dare i do 40 when Mr important wants to do 80+

Soldato
There is no such thing as a slow lane, and 57 is perfectly reasonable in lane 1, it is what most traffic in that lane will be doing. HGV's, vehicles towing. I often sit at 60ish in lane one, the fuel savings are significant.

Lane 1 then, 60ish is fine its under 60 your taking the ****. Its making slow vehicles overtake slow vehicles that's wrong. By doing under 60 that's exactly what's happening.
If you want to go that slow to save fuel there are plenty of suitable B roads that can get you everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom