HGVs in the outside lane - Is this allowed?

Permabanned
@Entai I think its one of most ******* me off things on motorway. Set cruise at 70 flat and I'm rolling down the motorway (Ye I do cruise sometimeswithout flooring it) and some dick pulls up and sits on my bumper like a tool. Why 2 hell people do that ?? You going faster just overtake and be on Yours way at 80 90 or 140 or whatever You feel like just stop sitting on my ass. Worst is in night when headlights go straight in my eyes... Need a spoiler on this 350z to block that off lol.

Caporegime
Another little one which always amuses me is the number of van drivers (not car derived ones) like transits & sprinters who are unaware they have lower speed limits than cars on single and dual carriageways, 10mph lower than cars, just the same as any other commercial vehicles.

Soldato
Another little one which always amuses me is the number of van drivers (not car derived ones) like transits & sprinters who are unaware they have lower speed limits than cars on single and dual carriageways, 10mph lower than cars, just the same as any other commercial vehicles.

Or that they cant use Lane 3 on a motorway with a trailer...

Associate
OP

One solution would be to reduce the speed limit of vans to 60MPH on motorways and install speed limiters.

I do wonder how safe a lightly laden transit is doing 90MPH on the motorway.

Associate
OP
Sounds a great idea, make every small business with a requirement for vans shell out for limiters and then have to have them annually inspected.

Don't we have something called Vehicle Type Approval which would force the manufactures to install them and something called the MOT which would check they are working? Over a period of time, say 5 years, the large majority of vans on the road (especially those from van hire companies) would have them fitted.

Soldato
Don't we have something called Vehicle Type Approval which would force the manufactures to install them and something called the MOT which would check they are working? Over a period of time, say 5 years, the large majority of vans on the road (especially those from van hire companies) would have them fitted.

Costs that will be passed onto the customer. MOT would then have to test the limiter, which will increase MOT times and thus costs? Unless it's an electronic test, which means ££££ for garages.

Soldato
I do wonder how safe a lightly laden transit is doing 90MPH on the motorway.

I must see plenty of transits doing 90+ on a daily basis. It's a typical case of employer paying for the fuel so the driver can have a very heavy foot.

You can almost guarantee that none are "lightly laden" either. God help the poor person they run into the back off when realising they can't brake as quickly as a car.

Caporegime
Agree entirely.

Costs that will be passed onto the customer. MOT would then have to test the limiter, which will increase MOT times and thus costs? Unless it's an electronic test, which means ££££ for garages.
To be fair it’s not rocket science to speed limit a vehicle these days, I’m quite sure van operators would love to see limiters become mandatory if nothing else they’d save a fortune on fuel!

Associate
OP

I don’t remember my MOT being more expensive this year and my understanding is that the test criteria has increased.

Also, my last Mercedes had a snow tyre speed limiter you could set (I set mine at 100mph and left it on). I can’t imagine with fly by wire throttles it is that difficult to implement.

Soldato
Sounds a great idea, make every small business with a requirement for vans shell out for limiters and then have to have them annually inspected.

It's a mick take though, the amount of vans doing silly speeds on dual carriageways and other roads. The vehicle often doesn't belong to the driver, so they get ragged. Limits would be a positive move.

Back to trucks, one for HGV drivers maybe. Something I've always wondered- what would the derestricted speed be of a 44 tonner, fully laden (for a typical, 460-500hp model)? What about just the tractor unit on its own?

Soldato
It's a mick take though, the amount of vans doing silly speeds on dual carriageways and other roads. The vehicle often doesn't belong to the driver, so they get ragged. Limits would be a positive move.

Back to trucks, one for HGV drivers maybe. Something I've always wondered- what would the derestricted speed be of a 44 tonner, fully laden (for a typical, 460-500hp model)? What about just the tractor unit on its own?

I have it from a trustworthy source that a DAF XF 106.460 will pull strong beyond 75 as a solo tractor unit :D Loaded up to 44t on the other hand I don't really know, mostly depends how much road you'd have to play with.

Soldato

For US models without limiters, I’ve seen loaded ones doing 85, tractor units alone doing low 90s. The load doesn’t seem to affect the top speed so much, more the time it takes to get there. I suspect the modern EU ones are geared more for economy though, so even with the limiter removed you wouldn’t go that fast.

Soldato

And yet is you take the very same transit/sprinter. Stick a high top on it, a Fridge, Shower and Toilet and fill it with gas bottles and magically it becomes perfectly safe to drive at the same speed as a normal car.

Bloody stupid rule.

Add to which, a modern Transit/whatever will have a handling/braking performance envelope that would have put to shame many sports cars of 30 years ago.

Again, bloody stupid rule....

Caporegime
For US models without limiters, I’ve seen loaded ones doing 85, tractor units alone doing low 90s. The load doesn’t seem to affect the top speed so much, more the time it takes to get there. I suspect the modern EU ones are geared more for economy though, so even with the limiter removed you wouldn’t go that fast.
I’ve had an unlimited Scania tractor and loaded trailer at well over 90 on a driver experience day, it had plenty more to come!

And yet is you take the very same transit/sprinter. Stick a high top on it, a Fridge, Shower and Toilet and fill it with gas bottles and magically it becomes perfectly safe to drive at the same speed as a normal car.

Bloody stupid rule.

Add to which, a modern Transit/whatever will have a handling/braking performance envelope that would have put to shame many sports cars of 30 years ago.

Again, bloody stupid rule....
Agree entirely mate.

Soldato
I must see plenty of transits doing 90+ on a daily basis. It's a typical case of employer paying for the fuel so the driver can have a very heavy foot.

You can almost guarantee that none are "lightly laden" either. God help the poor person they run into the back off when realising they can't brake as quickly as a car.

A big problem is employers setting delivery targets which can't be met unless they speed :/

Or paying per delivery, which means they are encouraged to speed.

Soldato
Highway code:

At my last driver awareness course they mentioned that there are on avg 18 changes to the highway code each year.. Its been 10 years since I last read it thats 180 changes....I think we could all do with a check every year..

A poster earlier said they had no need to know about HGV speed limits as they were never going to drive a HGV..

My FIL was complaining the other day about HGV's pulling out on him on a 60 section and then dawdling at 50.. I had to explain to him that the limit was 50 for the HGV's...................................................AND THE 3.5T VAN HE WAS DRIVING...

Soldato
A big problem is employers setting delivery targets which can't be met unless they speed :/

Or paying per delivery, which means they are encouraged to speed.

Or "Job & Finish" which is what our company do.

You want to dawdle ? That's fine. You're paid the same if it takes you 1 hour or 9 hours. But if you're the kind of person that takes 9 hours to do a 1 hour job then expect to be sent to a customer that will keep you there 9 hours ... Everyday !!

Back
Top Bottom