High Mileage Reliability: Old Diesel vs Old Petrol

Morning,

I’m after a work van and looking at a Grand Voyager, they only have two engines: 2.8 CRD or 3.8 V6 Petrol

Without knowing any mechanical history of said high-milers (assume 110k+) but both have FSH with a recent MOT and max. 2 previous owners, which engine would you expect to last, say 2 years, without major engine faults?

Thanks,
NVP :)
LBC
LCB!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Diesel reliability went downhill when they added DPFs.

Big, NA, unstressed petrol engines seem to last the longest. But obviously not cheap to fuel.

Soldato
OP
Diesel reliability went downhill when they added DPFs.

Big, NA, unstressed petrol engines seem to last the longest. But obviously not cheap to fuel.

Why not just get a proper van rather than a big car? Good vans are easy to drive and comfortable.
Don't need a proper van just yet, this is only for re-stocking the shop occasionally. With this I'm guaranteed Armrests, Heated Seats, Decent AC, Comfortable Seats I can move backwards (being 6'4" this is a big bonus!), Additional Seats, Potential Family use (while I'm Estate-less), and less chance of it being broken into.

Man of Honour
If properly maintained (and not used constantly for short journeys) a V6 diesel will probably just keep going - but a 3.8 is probably a bit expensive tax wise unless it is classed as a light commercial vehicle assuming UK.

As a generalisation a V6 is way more satisfying to drive though - at least for me personally.

Soldato
The 2.8-litre diesel in the Grand Voyager is a four-cylinder engine. It has a timing belt, so it's essential that it's changed as and when required.

We've had one of those engines in the family (in a KJ-gen Jeep Cherokee) for, egads, almost 20 years. We've kept on top of the servicing so problems have been few and far between.

Recently, however, it did have to have a fair bit of work (just as it ticked over ~110k) – the turbo oil return was leaking, which wasn't a major problem. Getting to it, unfortunately, entailed a lot of disassembly. Consequently, you need to keep an eye out for any signs of oil leaks or oil loss. The only other issue we've ever had with it was a pinholed fuel line, which caused it to cut out when accelerating hard.

It's not a particularly efficient or powerful diesel, and they get even more agricultural with age, so don't expect anything remarkable. It'll average perhaps 30mpg, if you're lucky and gentle. Watch out for cold-start problems, too; if I recall correctly, I think glow plugs can be an issue. Not something we've ever experienced, though.

The 3.8 V6 will do about 20mpg, perhaps a bit more (or a lot less if you're doing short trips or around-town work). Pretty sure that EGH V6 has a timing chain, so little to worry about there. I don't think there are many major problems with them, either, so just look out for the usual – leaks, cross-contamination of fluid, odd noises, etc.

Unless you're doing enough miles to justify the diesel option (or there are other cost savings, such as tax), I'd probably go for the potentially less involved and troublesome (and more refined and relaxed) petrol V6 option.

Last edited:
Associate
I think there is more variability in reliablility between particular engines than explicitly between petrol and diesel.

An older petrol engine is far simpler but a diesel probably a little more resilient to faults.

Soldato
Diesel reliability went downhill when they added DPFs
100% this, as long as you changed the oil on pre DPF's you'd get 250k miles out of a disel and more easily, nowadays theyr'e so complicated, so all depends on the era. I personally got tanked with it on a Jag, the only diesel I owned the DPF caused multitude of problems, would never tocuh one again! Petriol everyday for me, onlyt it to "save money" to pelase the missus, engine blew in the end, and I wrote off around 4k :-(

Soldato
OP
Thank you very much guys, especially @Lashout_UK , very much appreciated.

That petrol one has sold straight away! Doh!

I think I'm going to try and bag a petrol engine but as they are rare I will keep checking out the diesels for one in decent nick, and actually I think I might check out that 1 owner diesel just because it looks immaculate.

Regarding the CRD engine, how do I know if it has a DPF or not? Thanks :)

Top Bottom