High-revving, noisy internal combustion engines?

Man of Honour
The 3.5l NA era was probably the best in terms of variety (the 70s was a bit of a DFV-fest)

Matra's V12s were staggering sounding things outside of that, and some of the earlier H16/V16 setups from the likes of Auto Union and BRM had an appeal all of their own.

EDIT
Not an F1 car, but the sound of this Matra from 3:00 onwards as it warms up and then eventually gets to full tilt.... now that is how an engine should sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q4fPOXXDHk

Soldato
It's sad that these sorts of sounds are now gone from racing.

I think when it eventually all goes electric, pro car racing will die off as people won't want to go and watch.

F1 has been in decline for like 20+ years already, since the end of the manual gearbox days and as they made the rules so strict it stops anyone racing aggressively. It used to be a huge sport.

Last edited:
Soldato
F1 has been in decline for like 20+ years already, since the end of the manual gearbox days and as they made the rules so strict it stops anyone racing aggressively. It used to be a huge sport.

Nonsense!

Paddle shifts turned up in 1989. As for the rules comment... <shakes head>. Check to see if you left the rose tinted glasses on.

Soldato
Personally I think Formula E sounds awesome, on TV at least :p

Haven't been to a race since...hmm, probably Singapore in 2013...so not sure what the hybrids are like in person.

F1 has been crap for years because the rules aren't strict enough, the teams have got too good at creating insane aero packages that it's nigh-on impossible to follow another car in dirty air. Hopefully next year will be a step towards solving that.

Soldato
These were the good old days, It is shocking how bad F1 cars sound nowadays..They just lack any personality. I want cars to sound like they are on the verge of exploding but I do get the sustainability thing. :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpmocE57-5I
You say the current engines lack personality yet you pick one of the relatively weedy and lifeless V8s with the horrible traction control that all ended up sounding the same? If you're going to compare to that era pick one of the gutsy V10s from the year before.

Soldato
These were the good old days, It is shocking how bad F1 cars sound nowadays..They just lack any personality. I want cars to sound like they are on the verge of exploding but I do get the sustainability thing. :p

Those aren't the verge of exploding, it's the traction control cutting cylinders. Find a Ferrari or Honda V12 from the early 90s - that's an engine.

Soldato

Out of interest, have you heard the hybrids in person? I don't know what set up they use at the tracks to pick up sound but they lose a lot of the detail in the sound the hybrids make.

Soldato
Out of interest, have you heard the hybrids in person? I don't know what set up they use at the tracks to pick up sound but they lose a lot of the detail in the sound the hybrids make.

I've yet to hear them in person but I'm told its a far more interesting sound. They are also supposed to be a lot louder now since their first incarnation.

On a side note the newest V8's sounded good at the start as they all revved together and when you heard them as you drove to the track but that was about it. They sounded horrible after drinking too much the night before though... Lol

Associate
If F1 was still like that I might bother to watch it. Not just the sound, but how much the cars move around in the corners. I actually felt nervous watching it through the faster corners!

This was always going to disappear as downforce levels increased.

You may see cars a little more mobile next year with the bigger, stiffer tyres and lower downforce levels.

Man of Honour
Honda built a 2L V6 for formula 2 in the early 80’s that sounded incredible back then. Ralt and Spirit ran it.

Man of Honour

I will just leave this here.

One of the greatest examples of why sound can mean even more than success, efficiency or winning.

They are rebuilding the V16......

Back
Top Bottom