High-spec mATX board for C2D - suggestions, please :)

Soldato
Am thinking of retiring my perfectly good AM2 based MCE machine and rebuilding it as a C2D machine :D with Vista on......

So, currently, it is based on the AbiT NF-M2 Nview motherboard and X2 3800+ EE.......and I will be going for a E6300 and spangly motherboard....but which one should I choose :confused:

I am looking for all of the following as necessity : Optical digital SPDIF output (actually present, not requiring optional extra bits !), DVI and VGA output on board from integrated gfx (must be fully Vista happy !), HD audio (with ability to have both front- and rear- ports connected simultaneously) and generally decent overall spec (ie ideally Firewire, 6/8/10 USB2, SATAII and so on)

Anyone got a favourite to recommend ? Pretty please ?

Soldato
The P5B-VM has some of the best looking specs - Quad-Core support, 965 chipset, firewire, plenty of USB slots, and SATA2.

But it's a very hit-and-miss board where stability is concerned, even at stock.

The Asrock 945G-DVI is the best mATX C2D board at the moment. There's no firewire, but it's got SATA2. Onboard graphics support both VGA and DVI (included). No SPDIF though.

Soldato
OP
Tute said:
The P5B-VM has some of the best looking specs - Quad-Core support, 965 chipset, firewire, plenty of USB slots, and SATA2.

But it's a very hit-and-miss board where stability is concerned, even at stock.

The Asrock 945G-DVI is the best mATX C2D board at the moment. There's no firewire, but it's got SATA2. Onboard graphics support both VGA and DVI (included). No SPDIF though.

Seems the SPDIF bit is the problem with most :(

Crazy, really, as these mATX boards are so often used in MCE etc. boxes and thus crying out for a SPDIF output !

Soldato
kevpuk said:
Seems the SPDIF bit is the problem with most :(

Crazy, really, as these mATX boards are so often used in MCE etc. boxes and thus crying out for a SPDIF output !

It's an excuse to get you to buy a sound card.

Associate
Ive got similar setup to you but I have an x-fi and use optical from that to my denon reciever, trust me its a lot better than onboard sound for lots of reasons. I was dead against add on sound cards, well thought seeing as spdif was being used surly no difference would be noticed but there most definetly is.

Anyway morale of that story is id get a decent mobo with no consideration for sound, and get a decent sound card at some point. You wont regret it ;)

Back
Top Bottom