High water temps?

Associate
Im getting higher temps then I expected for the amount of rad space in use at full tilt these are the temps

Room: 22c
CPU: 67c
VRM: 55c
GPU: 61c
Water: 43c

PC-o11 dynamic
1950x at stock
1080ti at stock
ek 360 XE PE SE rads
ek Monoblock and gpu block
ek ddc 150 pump res combo
fans at around 700rpm (ek vardar)

I am running soft tubing with ek QDC's, but are this temps on the high side or normal for the hardware in use?

Associate
OP
pump>gpu>se>xe>cpu>pe>res

20190511_160357b_zpse6glbwrc.jpg

Soldato
Ran from idle how long does it take the GPU to get to those kind of temps? Going from say idle to a stress test like furmark?

My GPU for example goes from 26c idle and jumps immediately to 33c (furmark) slowly rising due to heat buildup. Then as soon as i press stop it drops straight back down to water temp level.

700rpm from the fans may just not be enough especially considering the thickness of those radiators.

Soldato
DDC has a lot of pressure. So long as the water is moving “reasonably”, flow has little effect. The heat capacity of 3 360mm rads is huge so even with low fan speeds it should be more than enough. I do wonder though if the intake fans pushing thru that bottom rad are struggling, and the same with the top fans, to stop the case temps just escalating. With the case open, how are the temps?

Associate
OP
What happens if idle? Do water temps drop to ambient? There's something wrong but it's hard to see all of the loop, particularly how the XE is connected.

Idle the gpu sits about 25c and cpu at 30c.

DDC has a lot of pressure. So long as the water is moving “reasonably”, flow has little effect. The heat capacity of 3 360mm rads is huge so even with low fan speeds it should be more than enough. I do wonder though if the intake fans pushing thru that bottom rad are struggling, and the same with the top fans, to stop the case temps just escalating. With the case open, how are the temps?

Not much diff between side open or closed id say maybe 3-5c at most and at even 700rpm you can feel the hot air coming from the top, the fans are moving air.

Soldato
Looking at the case pics from Lian Li, those radiator mounts look quite restrictive. I've got a similar problem with a Fractal Define S where the front being on vs off drops temps by 4-6C. In this case, those mounting points still have a lot of case restricting airflow. SO given you have low speed fans trying to move air through some fat rads and through those case openings, maybe your temps aren't unusual.

Associate
OP
Looking at the case pics from Lian Li, those radiator mounts look quite restrictive. I've got a similar problem with a Fractal Define S where the front being on vs off drops temps by 4-6C. In this case, those mounting points still have a lot of case restricting airflow. SO given you have low speed fans trying to move air through some fat rads and through those case openings, maybe your temps aren't unusual.

I noticed a big drop removing the top dust filter as with it on my temps were about 10c higher on the cup, still have the bottom and side filter as removing those would just make the case to dusty.

Soldato
you need a filter but those inlets look like they are leaving maybe 30% of the metal there. I have fans pulling on both inlet rad and exhaust rads because it allows me to easily get to any dust build up on the radiators without having to remove the fans. If your case allows the mesh to be there but not the steel you will get better airflow. Which fans are you using?

Associate
Quite high temperatures.
Previously had 3 slim radiators, 2 X 360, 1 X 120. The performance was overkill, using Corsair Static Pressure push/pull all around, but at their minimum speed. The radiators weren't much restrictive, I must say.
More likely an air problem, as the main issue, but room to improve things further if air flow for the fans sorted.

Associate
One question: are you using Y connection?
If running let's say top rad - CPU - bottom rad - pump/reservoir - GPU - top rad, making sure you're connecting to the correct in and out of each block, and there's enough coolant, can't explain the temperatures.
Running the pump at higher speeds at times would help to eliminate some air, and small bumps to the tubbing too. Not too harsh, though.

Associate
OP
....Which fans are you using?

Ek vardar 120er 2200rpm

One question: are you using Y connection?
If running let's say top rad - CPU - bottom rad - pump/reservoir - GPU - top rad, making sure you're connecting to the correct in and out of each block, and there's enough coolant, can't explain the temperatures.
Running the pump at higher speeds at times would help to eliminate some air, and small bumps to the tubbing too. Not too harsh, though.

No Y connections.

Associate
OP
I'm wondering if it's just that threadripper runs hotter as it was a little bit cooler when I just had a cup block but with the monoblock I also have the heat output from the vrms in the loop.

Back
Top Bottom