Hire Car Advice in EU (Paphos)

Soldato
Going on holiday in may to Paphos and would like to hire a car. Only ever rented a car once in Iceland before so looking for the latest advice.

1. Any recommendations for best place to find a car? We are looking for a car suitable for 4 + 4 suitcases.
  2. Is the recommendation to get full insurance for the hire car separate to the hire places insurance? Or would simply just an excess waiver policy do?
  3. Any other advice/tips? I guess always take full pictures on pick up and drop-off.

Permabanned
We’ve done this for our upcoming holiday. First time for us.

We got it through our travel agent as the price was more competitive from memory l. Also went for airport pickup as it saved on messing about with transfers.

We went with damage waiver insurance it was cheap enough.

2-CB4-F3-AC-775-D-4-D6-E-B415-02227-FBE761-A.jpg

Soldato
From memory (few years since we've been away) we always got separate insurance as it was cheaper plus I was going a few places a year so it made more sense to have a catch all policy. Questor insurance from looking through my old documents and it was £40 for a years' cover on multiple trips. Needed it too as I kerbed an alloy on a brand new Fiat 500 - claims process was no hassle. Having pre-arranged also helped fend off all the upsell from the car rental firm when you go to pick up.

I won't advise on much more other than to say driving in Paphos I found to be full of what I call "creepers". Driving along the main coastal road up to Coral Bay, everyone waiting at give way junctions coming onto the road would slowly creep onto the main road regardless of if you were there or not. So what should a straight drive always ended up being somewhat of a slalom event, particularly in the main urban areas. It's not like the traffic was ever that bad from memory, so no need to try and force your way out, it just seems the thing for locals to do IME. Having said that, for a small island I found overall the driving to be relatively easy. We went up into the mountains and all around the coast and it was much easier than the Amalfi coast or the towns of Tuscany for example.

Associate
I used easyrentacar about 5 years ago. The car was a Nissan Tiida which was about 10 years old and looked it. Cost €16 a euros a day and was booked by email.
Collected the car from the airport, when I say collected it was actually left in the car park for us and the keys were on the top of the rear wheel.
I was told to drop into their shop within the first couple of days of arriving to pay for the car hire.
The car worked perfectly for the entire trip and did over 1000 miles in a week. When going home I just left the car in the airport car park with the keys on the rear wheel.
I didn't get any extra charges or damage penalties.
Was kind of a weird experience and felt like I would be ripped off but it was all good in the end.
Cyprus is awesome and the roads are easy to navigate. Just like driving in the UK. Loved the slip roads on the A6.
Speed limits are a bit mad though. When you first arrive you obey every single one until you realise no one else does. There are a lot of 20mph speed limits with nothing around and go on for miles.
Be careful on unmade roads, Cyprus has a lot of them, your damage waiver won't cover you and they get really rough in places and you'll be ripping parts off the underside of the car. Get a 4x4 if you can.

Back
Top Bottom