Hmm Wii still needs a receiver on tv!

Associate
I was watching the gamespot videos from Thursday and the guy from gamespot said that they use a plastic sensor strip you stick on the tv's with a wire maybe going to the console! he said that zelda would not work for him because he was tall and he had to have the remote below his knees to get it to work, I hope this is not the case, I thought you did not need a sensor or maybe it was built into the console or something.

Would this work on things like projectors etc? hmm I dont like the sound of this, hope its just a e3 mock up.

Soldato
Aye, it needs a long sensor bar to pick up all the motion gubbins.

Not really surprising, but then again its not really been covered in much depth.

Soldato
Better than before i am sure it was rumored when the Wii first started coming to light that it would need a couple of sensors either side of the TV and possibly a third, so if they get it down to one small sensor bar then they are doing well.
I guess it will all depend on the placement of it, tall people might benfit more from putting it above there TV smaller/younger people might benefit from it at the bottom.
I dont think the type of TV will affect it, but the projector might be a bit iffy if its in direct sight of it with the light shining on the bar, but even then u wont be able to swing arms etc in front of a projector with the controller to much effect if it would trouble it as u would shadow it all out.
They will need to keep it fairly simple though consumers wont want to spend a hour getting special placements etc, and i think Ninty will make it straight forward

Associate
yeah it does need a sensor strip but what does that matter?
you are going to have a wire connectiong the console to the TV so whats the problem with another wire going from the console to the sensor? stick the sensor on the top of your TV and your away.

The gamespot guy didn't really explain it very well. You will be able to have the sensor on the floor below the TV too and games are gonna have inbuilt calibration functions to make sure it works accurately.
Its a shame however that there is no built in calibration in the Wii which would be applied to all games.

Soldato
I'm not too bothered about a strip for a sensor, but if you always have to stand/be in the same place for it to calibrate properly, or have to recalibrate it when you move significantly, then that's going to be a pain in the ass.

Man of Honour
Looking at the "Sensor Bar" pictures from the Nintendo Press kit, it looks like it will fit in nicely with most hardware and TVs... just a strip of black with a cord.

Soldato
I dont think it has to be that accurate tbh, think back to the E3 presentation Reggie, Miyamoto, Iwata and a guy out of the audience all had a game without pratting about with settings they just started playing.

Soldato
Psycho Ned said:
I dont think it has to be that accurate tbh, think back to the E3 presentation Reggie, Miyamoto, Iwata and a guy out of the audience all had a game without pratting about with settings they just started playing.

But where they were stood could have been marked/choreographed. It will probably be just fine, but hard to say until people start getting the proper kit to play with.

Associate
Nah it looks like its just another case of gamespot playing their favority game
"nintendo bashing" sack the lot of em imo, bunch of pratts

Back
Top Bottom