HMV in trouble again.

Man of Honour
Being able to check online prices whilst stood in their shop stops me being ripped off, and unfortunately for them has ruled them out several times this year.

I don't bother any more, there's no point.

Soldato
No one obviously wants 1000's of people to lose their jobs, but why, as a consumer, would you buy a blu ray in HMV for say £16 when you can order it online for £12?

Everytime i go in to HMV and see something i might like, i check if it is cheaper online first and normally it is, by at least 20% normally more. So i just order it on my phone instead.

Times are changing.

I agree and I do this too.

I have. £2-4 is nothing really, providing you don't have the same attitude with everything you buy!

£2-4 saving is a lot considering you can use cash back websites such as Topcashback / Quidco on top of your purchase.

I refuse to pay through the nose if I can find the same item elsewhere for cheaper. I have this attitude with everything I buy.

Last edited:
Soldato
the problem is these types of shops aren't really need any more - they just cannot compete with the internet prices. its a shame but i don't know how they could possibly survive.

Soldato
The only shops that are going to survive the next few years are the heavy discount stores aka Home Bargains and the niche independent shops. Going next will be the big clothes shops imo. More people are confident in getting clothes online now.

Waste of retail space IMO

Open a Starbucks I say! :p

Substitute a crap record company for a coffee shop selling crap coffee. GG.

Last edited:
Associate
the problem is these types of shops aren't really need any more - they just cannot compete with the internet prices. its a shame but i don't know how they could possibly survive.

For starters, they could have had a service where you could rock up with an ipod/iphone/mp3player/usb stick plug it in a kiosk and download what you wanted for a nominal sum. But oh no, they had to cling onto their dated business model of selling pressed pieces of plastic at inflated prices.

They could have released movies on the day the cinema release, but again, the dated business model of their industry prevented it.

They could have provided the extra service to order in any cds that they didnt stock, esp foreign titles, but that was too much trouble for them.

Everytime i went in, and wanted to spend money to help the company in any small way, it was actually very hard to do so without feeling like i was throwing it away.

Permabanned
Being able to check online prices whilst stood in their shop stops me being ripped off, and unfortunately for them has ruled them out several times this year.

I don't bother any more, there's no point.

yeah their pricing is retarded

Dark Knight Blu-Ray:

HMV (in store): £22.99

Tesco (in store): £12.50

Online: £9.99

HMV = :rolleyes:

Associate

I agree with this, with the extra overheads of renting floor space distribution costs etc it's IMPOSSIBLE for HMV, Comet, PC World etc to match on-line prices.

These shops are not 'ripping you off' it's just a case of they cant offer the prices people want to pay, I foresee lots of empty shops in the malls and a few empty sheds. Then the 'war of the pound shop' will commence and I don't see a happy ending on that front either.

Caporegime
yeah their pricing is retarded

Dark Knight Blu-Ray:

HMV (in store): £22.99

Tesco (in store): £12.50

Online: £9.99

HMV = :rolleyes:

Exactly, i just walk around and despair at what must be literally 1000's of pounds worth of dead stock due to the pricing.

I know they cant offer online prices as they are a shopper and have more overheads e.t.c but they dont even try and get close! Is that just stubborness from the management?

GAC

GAC

Soldato
HMV in my opinion should close all stores and move to a central warehouse. Change prices to match online stores and then sell stock online only.

But no... they would rather get themselves into trouble.

i agree with this but add in they would also have to keep open a few stores in major citys, basicaly what games trying to do now but they still have too many stores though.

Soldato
Any retailer that relies (or relied) on Entertainment product sales has had the same fall HMV has. There is simply no money in it anymore.

The fact that the group didn't see this coming a couple of years ago and adapt their business model makes them pretty poor. Even if they do go online only, they will last 6-12 months at most. Entertainment-exclusive retailers are a thing of the past and there will be none at all in a year or two.

daz

daz

Soldato
There's nothing fundamentally wrong with high street retail, but HMV are saddled with a massive debt burden which makes it impossible for them to invest and grow.

Caporegime
Their shops always seem full of people though so surely if they dropped their silly prices a bit they would sell heaps more stuff!?

Man of Honour
Last few times I've been in HMV buying christmas related tat I've been suprised by just how much stuff is similarly priced to play.com etc - especially chart CD's.

daz

daz

Soldato
I think that HMV could get more in to personal electronics - high end headphones, tablets, etc. The headphones aspect would be nice if they carried more than just Beats by Dre, and actually had Sennheisers and so on on display and to test out.

Soldato
I contemplated going into HMV yesterday. But the website only allowed reserve to collect instore for certain items (not the item I wanted) and no store stock-check facility. So I didn't go in!

Plus the fact that the last few times I went into HMV it looked like the carpets hadn't been cleaned since the millennium.

Back
Top Bottom